Yvonne Vernee On Ebay 5/11

Yes I have a copy after many years chasing. Then a real good mate went to see the Elgins and Yvonne signed a personal message to me on awhite cardboard sleeve. Guess where the Sonbert tune now sits?All without my knowledge.

I dont know if Phil is on here, but THANK YOU it was very kind and thoughtful.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I thought the price was a bit high, given the condition of the label and vinyl?

Same here, Tony.

I've always fancied a copy, but it has eluded me over the years.

Now looking forward to some PMs offering me a copy at a reasonable price, of course!

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Yep I'd agree with you regarding that one.

Would seem many aren't bothered about condition these days and happy to pay near mint prices for lesser condition discs.

but then again: how often does the opportunity arise to buy a m-/ex+ copy of this tune ? I cant receall having ever seen one (for sale). Even the recent flyer for her gigs in the UK showed a bootleg by the way.

Social source share

but then again: how often does the opportunity arise to buy a m-/ex+ copy of this tune ? I cant receall having ever seen one (for sale). Even the recent flyer for her gigs in the UK showed a bootleg by the way.

True Marc but it doesn't make it any rarer than it already was so no real need for any significant price hike, always been rare and in demand when up for sale. Guess it is up to the buyer in reality.

Social source share

I can remember sittinh in Andy Spencers front room about 1988 and he had 2 copies for sale his own and one he had bought of Richard Domar they £220 a piece then

Yep Ted :thumbsup:

The one Andy got off Richard Domar came from Chris King when he sold up. I could have bought it for £150 but at the time but I thought it was only worth £100 so I declined. I then mentioned it to Andy in passing who (living up to his nickname of "Fast Buck" :lol: ) went round to Domar's and bought it, the next I knew he'd sold it to you. Had two green felt pen crosses on the label if I remember correctly. Marvellous thing hindsight :facepalm:

Dave

Edited by Louise
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Yep Ted :thumbsup:

The one Andy got off Richard Domar came from Chris King when he sold up. I could have bought it for £150 but at the time but I thought it was only worth £100 so I declined. I then mentioned it to Andy in passing who (living up to his nickname of "Fast Buck" :lol: ) went round to Domar's and bought it, the next I knew he'd sold it to you. Had two green felt pen crosses on the label if I remember correctly. Marvellous thing hindsight :facepalm:

Dave

yes Dave it had cheap days then

Social source share

I can remember sittinh in Andy Spencers front room about 1988 and he had 2 copies for sale his own and one he had bought of Richard Domar they £220 a piece then

I bought 1 of those copies Ted , sure I paid £200 for it , Must Have been the time Andy was selling up as I had 5 or 6 other rare bits at the same time , thought it was earlier than 88 , maybe 84/85

Social source share

No Tony it was nearer to 1988 i remember Nige Parker getting really pissed of cause you had bought one and he had kinda reserved the other but Andy let me have it for 20 quid more, was it you that sent him the Gwen Owens back cause you didnt like the condition 90 quid wasnt it

Edited by Ted Massey
Social source share

No Tony it was nearer to 1988 i remember Nige Parker getting really pissed of cause you had bought one and he had kinda reserved the other but Andy let me have it for 20 quid more, was it you that sent him the Gwen Owens back cause you didnt like the condition 90 quid wasnt it

Didn't John Corless end up with this at the time.

Ted's right it was after Stafford had shut.

Edited by Louise
Social source share

yes he did and i bought it of him

Along with Willie Tee Please Don't Go too. :yes:

I got both Lou Pride's on Suemi Andy wanted £60 each but I only wanted to pay £50 each a month went by and they hadn't sold so Andy rang me up and Said you've got a deal at a £100 the pair. Happy but expensive days!

I also bought some cheaper bits including the Tangiers on Okeh when we added the total deal up I noticed that the Tangiers was missing, I then noticed it had fallen on the floor. I said to Andy hang on we haven't included this one in the deal to which he replied "it's only a fiver and as you've spent a fair bit you can have that for nothing" who said he was tight.

Dave

Edited by Louise
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Along with Willie Tee Please Don't Go too. :yes:

I got both Lou Pride's on Suemi Andy wanted £60 each but I only wanted to pay £50 each a month went by and they hadn't sold so Andy rang me up and Said you've got a deal at a £100 the pair. Happy but expensive days!

Dave

wonder who got the white label ernest mosely for 30 quid

Social source share

wonder who got the white label ernest mosely for 30 quid

Don't remember Ted, maybe Carl Jones?

Remember Glenn Griffin, he had some nice stuff.I remember one Friday night we took Glenn down Andy's local pub and got him really pissed, when we got back to Andy's Glenn stagger off to the toilet where he fell asleep. Now at the time Jimmy Wallace on Alpha was covered up. Glenn had just bought it off Chris Plant and it was in the box of records he had with him.

So you guess what happened next off came the Kool Kat photocopy label ( as it was covered up as Joe Mathews) revelling the records true identity, we quickly replaced the label as if nothing had happened. then waited till the following week before winding him up rotten. I never been called a Bastard as many times since.

:lol:

Edited by Louise
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes I have a copy after many years chasing. Then a real good mate went to see the Elgins and Yvonne signed a personal message to me on awhite cardboard sleeve. Guess where the Sonbert tune now sits?All without my knowledge.

Steve, dont know If its worth me coming up to Stockport to do a Dj spot as it seems youve already got all the records I can play ? :lol:

Social source share

I dont know if Phil is on here, but THANK YOU it was very kind and thoughtful.

Doh !!!! dont use this site enough so I,ll send my message again sorry.

Steve, dont know If its worth me coming up to Stockport to do a Dj spot as it seems youve already got all the records I can play ? :lol:

Hammie

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Bought a few things off Mr Searling back in the day, we came to a price of £90 for this, one saturday and agreed i would bring the money to w/c the week after. Took the money as agreed the week after, and he wouldn`t sell it :( he must have known something, very hard record to obtain, saying that i managed to secure one about a year after for £75. Very seldom turns up for sale, great record :thumbsup:

Edited by HARRY CROSBY
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

bought one around the same time £120....my problem was l bought em all cheap........and sold em all cheap :lol: :lol:

for ref.....my one had 2 black crosses on the label.....wonder who has it now?

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Andy sent me a Eddie Parker - I,m gone which was £70 and a badly waterdamaged Debonairs - Loving you takes all of my time £80 , I sent both of them back , the Eddie Parker was in great condition , but I didnt want it at the time , hindsights a wonderfull thing but at the time some of these we didnt realise how rare they really were.

in the deal on Yvonne vernee I know I also had a Larry Clinton Ramonna collins , and a Jimmy Burns(which I got for Terry rider) and some other bits I cant recall . I went to Chris Plants flat in Walsall one night before the Old Vic to buy Lester Tipton it was £100 , that was just after Andy had bought most of Chris,s rarer records ,was suprised he still had it. I know this was before 1988 as the house I was living in at the time I left in 87 ,so maybe 86 . What year did Stafford close ?

Tony Parker

Edited by midnight brew
Social source share

Get away.Your collection is one I have always aspired to and admired. Remember when I used to come round and you let me tape things in the 70,s? Yvonne Baker,Mel Britt,Lee Roye etc. LOL!

Social source share

Andy sent me a Eddie Parker - I,m gone which was £70 and a badly waterdamaged Debonairs - Loving you takes all of my time £80 , I sent both of them back , the Eddie Parker was in great condition , but didnt want it at the time , hindsights a wonderfull thing but at the time some of these we didnt realise how rare they really were.

in the deal on Yvonne vernee I know I also had a Larry Clinton Ramonna collins , and a Jimmy Burns(which I got for Terry rider) and some other bits I cant recall . I went to Chris Plants flat in Walsall one night before the Old Vic to buy Lester Tipton it was £100 , that was just after Andy had bought most of his rarer records ,was suprised he still had it. I know this was before 1988 as the house I was living in at the time I left in 87 ,so maybe 86 . What year did Stafford close ?

Tony Parker

awesome stories these, I just love to read...most uf us German Soulies from zero hour, well at least my good self anyway, were hunting down the odd record for a fiver and in reality never ever had a chance to look at these records, not even on a list. They were impossible to get hold of for us. Just trying to think back now and a pund was about six German DM if I remember correctly, so a ten pound 45 was about 60,00 DM. A good night out with your friends was 15 - 20,- DM a full fuel tank for your vespa was not even 10,- DM LOL...

Social source share

Didn't John Corless end up with this at the time.

Ted's right it was after Stafford had shut.

Dave Think your right about John having the Gwen Owens sure I had chance of buying it but it was in pretty poor shape, he must have sold up soon after as I had Johnny Rodgers of him for £100 around that time .

Clearly remember buying Yvonne Vernee from Andy only to find out the following week he had another copy for sale , at the time it worried me thinking a boxfull had turned up £200 was a lot of money to me , that 2nd copy was obviously the one Ted bought . which I wasnt aware of till this thread .

I think prices were creeping up from around 1985 as before then there were bargains galore , Would love to know who it was who had 2-or 3 copies of Chuck Holiday for sale at Stafford , they were £35 each I bought one of them for the - I still love you - side , had never heard - Just cant trust nobody , so was pleased when I got home and played it , along with a Ree Flores at £20 . Collecting was great in those days now even mediocre records make stupid money .

Edited by midnight brew
Social source share

Guest Awake 502

I found one in the States around 1990 part of my best haul. It was nearly mint apart from an X on the label. It went to Carl Fortnum in a very dodgy looking transaction in a Little Chef on the A1. I handed him a couple of pieces of vinyl and he gave me an envelope stuffed with £20's. the staff were watching very closely and whispering to each other

Social source share

bought one around the same time £120....my problem was l bought em all cheap........and sold em all cheap :lol: :lol:

for ref.....my one had 2 black crosses on the label.....wonder who has it now?

Terry,

My copy has 2 black crosses on 'Just like you did me' side and record is VG++ to M-

Could this be your old copy ? :g:

Social source share

Dave Think your right about John having the Gwen Owens sure I had chance of buying it but it was in pretty poor shape, he must have sold up soon after as I had Johnny Rodgers of him for £100 around that time .

Clearly remember buying Yvonne Vernee from Andy only to find out the following week he had another copy for sale , at the time it worried me thinking a boxfull had turned up £200 was a lot of money to me , that 2nd copy was obviously the one Ted bought . which I wasnt aware of till this thread .

I think prices were creeping up from around 1985 as before then there were bargains galore , Would love to know who it was who had 2-or 3 copies of Chuck Holiday for sale at Stafford , they were £35 each I bought one of them for the - I still love you - side , had never heard - Just cant trust nobody , so was pleased when I got home and played it , along with a Ree Flores at £20 . Collecting was great in those days now even mediocre records make stupid money .

Yo Tony

Thinking back, I'm pretty sure Andy sold up in the autumn of 1986.

John Corless bought 4 records off Andy the previously mentioned Gwen Owen's, Willie Tee Please Don't Go, Jackie Beavers I Need My Baby and as you rightly say Johnny Rogers for the princely sum of £400. I thinks this caused him to have a few sleepless night as he had sold them all less than six months later. These prices seem cheap now but back then I had to work a shed load of overtime to earn a £100 ( a poorly paid Joiner not like you an overpaid Electrician). Also one of my biggest mistakes was to knock back a VG copy of Jimmy Gresham on Teri De for a tenner naively stating I'd wait for a mint copy to come along, guess what I'm still waitin' :facepalm::(

But on a brighter note I will forever be eternally grateful to you for buying one of those Jimmy Armstrong's on Shrine off me even if you chiselled me down by a fiver :lol:

Dave

Edited by Louise
Social source share

Yo Tony

Thinking back, I'm pretty sure Andy sold up in the autumn of 1986.

John Corless bought 4 records off Andy the previously mentioned Gwen Owen's, Willie Tee Please Don't Go, Jackie Beavers I Need My Baby and as you rightly say Johnny Rogers for the princely sum of £400. I thinks this caused him to have a few sleepless night as he had sold them all less than six months later. These prices seem cheap now but back then I had to work a shed load of overtime to earn a £100 ( a poorly paid Joiner not like you an overpaid Electrician). Also one of my biggest mistakes was to knock back a VG copy of Jimmy Gresham on Teri De for a tenner naively stating I'd wait for a mint copy to come along, guess what I'm still waitin' :facepalm::(

But on a brighter note I will forever be eternally grateful to you for buying one of those Jimmy Armstrong's on Shrine off me even if you chiselled me down by a fiver :lol:

Dave

Now then Dave , Jimmy Gresham - teri de - I bought via Bedfords Steve cooper for £8 on my 21st birthday march 1979 , what a great double sider that was a vg copy . As for Jimmy Armstrong I,m sure you overcharged me. :P

Getting back on topic I sold a vg copy of Yvonne Vernee for a £1000 4 years ago , that was the 2nd copy I had ever had first one went to Todmorden Tim in the early 90s

Edited by midnight brew
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!