Ordinary Joe: Other Versions?

Alan Walls

Mentioned this on a radio show earlier Alan. I have this on the Turn You to Love album and think that is the version which used to get plays back in the day. But, there are other versions - I think there are at least two more but don't know the detail. Not much help is it - doh! I think one might be an accoustic take.

Be interested to hear other answers.

Peter

:thumbsup:

Social source share

The 3 versions I know Alan are....2 by Terry Callier, one slower version by TC on 45 and the LP uptempo one that Mark Linton used to play....and there's a version by Jerry Butler which is the same pace as the TC version on 45

Social source share

here's jerry Butler's take, if you want to check it?

In the wake of Terry Callier's sad passing, a mate - not a soulie - has asked if I know of another version, mid 70's vibe? He has it on an old, anonymous tape and it's doing his head in! Any suggestions? Ta!

here's Jerry Butler's take if you want to check it :thumbsup:

steve

https://youtu.be/VkkkvL6XNdM

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Never seen or heard that - don't even know who she is? Any more info - I like her vocals on that. Interesting. Is that her on the clip - pretty girl.

Peter

hi pete

dont really know much about the artist...ill see what i can dig up..defo babe though

atb moldie

https://www.last.fm/music/Jasmine+Kara

Edited by Guest
Social source share

here's jerry Butler's take, if you want to check it?

here's Jerry Butler's take if you want to check it :thumbsup:

steve

weird, it's been philly-tized

overall this is a very obscure track wrt mainstream r&b so it's not something like "ain't no sunshine" where there would be a million covers

• Helpful 1
Social source share

incidentally although TC wrote the song jerry butler is the original

i didn't know that, although it makes sense. very glad that callier re-cut it, probably sounded similar to his demo, with a little backing added. butler's version isn't really memorable.

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

Jasmine Kara is a lass living in New York of Scandanavian upbringing and Iranian descent. She's obviously got a passion for soul music - her album is full of it. (god, did that sound like a blurb or what?)

It was produced by Marshall Chess, a name I'm sure you're all familiar with, and was released in this country on Acid Jazz about a year ago, I got lucky and was sent a promo copy for review.

Great album, if a touch on the R&B side.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!