Johnny Baker-Shy Guy

Kev John

i dont agree ian when this was big at the mecca it wasnt easy to find i can remember searching for it and i paid a lot more than 50 pence, i think with a lot of mecca newish releases its a myth today to say they were all over the place because a lot of them simply wernt

Social source share

i dont agree ian when this was big at the mecca it wasnt easy to find i can remember searching for it and i paid a lot more than 50 pence, i think with a lot of mecca newish releases its a myth today to say they were all over the place because a lot of them simply wernt

Bob Cataneo was wholesaling 'em to the UK and I can remember them coming through in abundance. It was a Mecca only tune so it didn't translate anywhere else so there were probably more copies than actual demand at the time. Mind you, same with Marvin Holmes, Don Thomas, Oscar Perry etc, etc. There's got to have been 500-1000 of each in the UK I'd have thought......? Maybe it's spread out a bit over 40 years so the copies are dispersed around the world now.......a great record though, as so many of 'em were.........

Ian D :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Bob Cataneo was wholesaling 'em to the UK and I can remember them coming through in abundance. It was a Mecca only tune so it didn't translate anywhere else so there were probably more copies than actual demand at the time. Mind you, same with Marvin Holmes, Don Thomas, Oscar Perry etc, etc. There's got to have been 500-1000 of each in the UK I'd have thought......? Maybe it's spread out a bit over 40 years so the copies are dispersed around the world now.......a great record though, as so many of 'em were.........

Yeah Ian, Bob was wholesaling this, about 50p or 50c off him.

I got and sold 25 copies in the East Lancs Area at £2 a throw'

It was popular at most of the mid-week do's at the time.

A few months later Andy Riding sent for some and he got the 2nd issue design. (we thought they were boots at the time)

I can't remember what Andy did with them sent them back or passed them on?

Iam sure people like Neil and John must have got 100s off him back than.

Edited by davetay
Social source share

hi ian

can you remember if they were the fancy italic labels or the upper case one's ?

Social source share

Yeah Ian, Bob was wholesaling this, about 50p or 50c off him.

I got and sold 25 copies in the East Lancs Area at £2 a throw'

Iam sure people like Neil and John must have got 100s off him back than.

Not to mention Global who seemed to get allsorts of this kinda stuff.

Kegsy

Social source share

why do people take popsike as gospel? there are loads and loads of sales, none sales etc that go or have gone through ebay that don't make it onto popsike.

In fact what I do is check Popsike, check JM, and then do a search on soul source. If it's on here, and it sold, I use that as the guide and not the others.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

hi ian

can you remember if they were the fancy italic labels or the upper case one's ?

The first ones were all fancy italic. Lovely indie label which is a joy to behold. I've never seen the upper case ones but the copies of the next release, "Operator Operator" were nowhere near as fancy.......

Social source share

The first ones were all fancy italic. Lovely indie label which is a joy to behold. I've never seen the upper case ones but the copies of the next release, "Operator Operator" were nowhere near as fancy.......

Thats probably because it was on different label, Cisco.

Get a grip Frank.

Kegsy

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I've got year ahead of me yet me tinnks ? :hatsoff2:

But i do think we've pretty much established that it's not rare ,which i think answers any theory that you thought the fancy logo design copies were scarce ?

As chalky states ..it's not a demand 45 these days ,so who knows just how many people have one gathering dust from the 70's ?

Not to mention ,how many people will have bought that record and A) are not on soulsource ,and B) not even on the soul scene now !

I listed a 2nd issue copy in sales on here 4 yrs back for £30 and then £20 ..had no interest and ended up sticking it in a job lot box of bargains ...and from memory ,there were probably more venues playing 70's modern soul than are around today :yes:

Social source share

I've had about 3 copies of each label design in recent years and have sold them for around £30 - £40 max

I'd guess roughly the same quantity of each were pressed up and as Nev says - it's not a rare record

I would think most people would buy it as a collection filler

I'd put the value of the first press at £40 and the second press at £25 - £30

Social source share

In fact what I do is check Popsike, check JM, and then do a search on soul source. If it's on here, and it sold, I use that as the guide and not the others.

I think popsike have removed a lot of content as well recently. Like you say use as many sources as possible but stick to the set sale prices, always more accurate than auction prices.

Social source share

I think popsike have removed a lot of content as well recently. Like you say use as many sources as possible but stick to the set sale prices, always more accurate than auction prices.

Especially as Popsike is eBay auction only and not buy it now .

So many factors can determine a high or low price on eBay ..and unlike a lot of auctions ..the end of sale cut off time is final !

Social source share

I've had about 3 copies of each label design in recent years and have sold them for around £30 - £40 max

I'd guess roughly the same quantity of each were pressed up and as Nev says - it's not a rare record

I would think most people would buy it as a collection filler

I'd put the value of the first press at £40 and the second press at £25 - £30

keith as your'e a well known dealer would you think this record was pressed in low hundred counts or high?

Social source share

keith as your'e a well known dealer would you think this record was pressed in low hundred counts or high?

I think you may be mistaking me with Keith Williams on here - My name's Kev

I wouldn't know how many were pressed up - I guess someone like Ian Dewhirst or Rick Cooper would be your best bet for an answer

Social source share

Doh............ :(

What the hell's wrong with me? I used to be good at this stuff. It must be the pressure of juggling 30+ releases a year..... :lol:

You used to wank a lot more than that according to Twink.

kegsy

Edited by Kegsy
Social source share

You used to wank a lot more than that according to Twink.

kegsy

I think it's only fair to point out that I only used to wank on my occasional nights off from the sexual demands of the female population of Yorkshire at the time, which was maybe once every 10 days or so, so he's probably not far off the mark....... :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!