Larry O Records

In my life long quest for all things Jerry O, can anyone shed any light on the Larry O label from Chicago please?

I have two releases on it - Charles (Plookie) McCline. `You Conqured Me` / `She Got Another Man` #101 and Johnny Moore `What Can a Man Do` / `Let's Get it Together` # 404.

The former is clearly connected to Jerry Murray as it shows him as co-writer and also producer and the graphics are the same as his own Jerry O label, also Plookie had a 45 on there `Gorilla Walk` #101 and finally the A side was issued on Jerry O #103 but as Willie Logan & the Plaids.

The Johnny Moore 45 has all of the hall marks of the Fairshake / 4 Brothers set up, that Bright Star big sound and familiar graphics. They appear to be different animals but are obviously connected in some way.

Any ideas please?

Bye the way I'm still looking for details of Jerry O Records #102, 108 & 109. Also the ultra illusive Tom & Jerrio `Oolya-Choo` / `Bacardi` ABC 10787

Thanks

Social source share

• Replies 33
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

In my life long quest for all things Jerry O, can anyone shed any light on the Larry O label from Chicago please?

I have two releases on it - Charles (Plookie) McCline. `You Conqured Me` / `She Got Another Man` #101 and Johnny Moore `What Can a Man Do` / `Let's Get it Together` # 404.

The former is clearly connected to Jerry Murray as it shows him as co-writer and also producer and the graphics are the same as his own Jerry O label, also Plookie had a 45 on there `Gorilla Walk` #101 and finally the A side was issued on Jerry O #103 but as Willie Logan & the Plaids.

The Johnny Moore 45 has all of the hall marks of the Fairshake / 4 Brothers set up, that Bright Star big sound and familiar graphics. They appear to be different animals but are obviously connected in some way.

Any ideas please?

Bye the way I'm still looking for details of Jerry O Records #102, 108 & 109. Also the ultra illusive Tom & Jerrio `Oolya-Choo` / `Bacardi` ABC 10787

Thanks

102 isn't one of the hard titles of the label (I thought) it's the release of a track that got picked up by shout:

Boo-Ga-Loo 102 - Jerryo - Karate-boo-ga-loo / The pearl

here is the full set of releases of the McCline from soul harmony singles:

MCCLINE, CHARLES (Chicago, IL)

Both issues of “You Conquered Me” were also released crediting Willie Logan

& The Plaids.

(below as Charles (Plookie) McCline)

Larry-O 101 You Conquered Me / She Got Another Man (nvg)**

(below as Plookie McCline)

Jerry-O

101 Uncle Willy (mxg) / The Gorilla Walk (mxg) (11/63)

(below as Charles McCline)

101 You Conquered Me / Say That You Care (64)

you have 112 (green grunchions all-stars), right?

Willie Logan was in the Satagans, I have a Satagans pic that he's in. I have footage of Jerry-O without Tom doing "Boo-ga-loo", I think it's from swinging time?

I'm moving this thread to look at your box because it's record-related. Thanks for posting a new topic...

Social source share

Hi Thanks for taking so much time to check those titles out. Here's what I have with what I consider to be a direct connection with Jerry O in addition to the two Larry O 45s. They aren't in chronological order however.

Tom & Jerrio. Boo Ga Loo / Boomerang, ABC-Paramount 10638

Tom & Jerrio, Great Go Ga Mooga / Come on and Love Me, ABC- Paramount 10704

Tom & Jerrio `Oolya-Choo` / `Bacardi` ABC 10787 (Unissued?)

Jerry O, Karate Boo Ga Loo / The Pearl, Boo Ga Loo 102

Jerry O, Popcorn-Boo-Ga-Loo PT1 / PT2, Bo Ga Loo 104

Jerry O, The Funky Chicken Yoke, Boo Ga Loo 107

Ideals, The Mighty Lover / Dancing in the USA, Boo Ga Loo 108

Jerry O, Scratch My Back / Soul Pearl, Boo Ga Loo 110

Green Grunchons All-Stars, Guys and Gals Bounce, Boo Ga Loo 112

Jerryo, (Funky) Four Corners / Soul Lover, Boo Ga Loo 466

Plookie McCline, The Gorilla Walk / Uncle Willy, Jerry O 101

Willie Logan & the Plaids, Say You Care / You Conquored Me, Jerry O 103

Bobby Rush, Someday / Let Me Love You, Jerry O 104

Dukays, The Jerk / Mo' Jerk, Jerry O 105

Dukays, Mellow - Fezneckey / Sho Nuf M.F. Jerry O 106

Mutt & Jeffo, Soul L O V E R / Soul Blues, Jerry O 106 ( white labels stuck over the Sherwood Production 45)

Maruice Miller Trio, Fly Me To The Moon / Karachi, Jerry O 107 (800 A & 801 B in dead wax)

Paul Tate, Fool For You / Save Your Love, Jerry O 110

Tom & Jerroo, (Papa Chew) Do The Boo Ga Loo pt 1 / pt 2, Jerry O 111

Tom & Jerryo, Soul L O V E R / I'm Tired, Sherwood Production 106

Jerry O, Karate Boo Ga Loo / The Pearl, Shout 217

Jerry O, Funky Boo Ga Loo / Push, Push, Shout 225

Jerry O. Afro-Twist Time (Um-Gpw-Wow) / Dance What Cha Wanna, Shout 228

Jerry O, Funky Football / Wang Dang Do, Wand 11222

Jerry O, Soul Sister / Huckle Buck, White Whale 296

Jerry O, There Was a Time / Funky Charge, White Whale 318

E Rodney Jones & Larry & the Hippies Band, Right On - Right On (Sex Machines), Westbound 160

E Rodney Jones & Larry & the Hippies Band, Right On - Right On / Chicken On Down, Double Soul 107

Bronzettes, Moments / (Beggin') Baby Don't Leave Me, Double Soul 108

Third Party, Such a Soul Says pt 1 / pt 2, Soul Hawk 002

I've never seen a Double Soul label listing, so there may be other connections on there. There are a couple of apparently unissued tracks on a couple of CDs of Tom & Jerry O I have. I spoke to Sammy Kaplan about five years ago but he was very cagey about things but they do have a website that used to have each track of Karate Boo Ga Loo isolated and you can hear them, www.lovelanemusic.com

Well, that's about the limit of my info.

Edited by Keith Rylatt
Social source share

I don't know anything about the Scoop Saunders, what is that please? Also, something I may have mentioned before but in the early 80s I think that Ady Croasdell was contemplating a Jerry O LP, he had some Jerry O fan club T shirts printed as I think I saw him in Oxford Street wearing one, Ady might be able to add a bit?

Bye the way, images of many of these titles can be viewed on the groovesvilleusa blog, under Jerry O

Edited by Keith Rylatt
Social source share

Hi Thanks for taking so much time to check those titles out. Here's what I have with what I consider to be a direct connection with Jerry O in addition to the two Larry O 45s. They aren't in chronological order however.

Tom & Jerrio. Boo Ga Loo / Boomerang, ABC-Paramount 10638

Tom & Jerrio, Great Go Ga Mooga / Come on and Love Me, ABC- Paramount 10704

Tom & Jerrio `Oolya-Choo` / `Bacardi` ABC 10787 (Unissued?)

Jerry O, Karate Boo Ga Loo / The Pearl, Boo Ga Loo 102

Jerry O, Popcorn-Boo-Ga-Loo PT1 / PT2, Bo Ga Loo 104

Jerry O, The Funky Chicken Yoke, Boo Ga Loo 107

Ideals, The Mighty Lover / Dancing in the USA, Boo Ga Loo 108

Jerry O, Scratch My Back / Soul Pearl, Boo Ga Loo 110

Green Grunchons All-Stars, Guys and Gals Bounce, Boo Ga Loo 112

Jerryo, (Funky) Four Corners / Soul Lover, Boo Ga Loo 466

Plookie McCline, The Gorilla Walk / Uncle Willy, Jerry O 101

Willie Logan & the Plaids, Say You Care / You Conquored Me, Jerry O 103

Bobby Rush, Someday / Let Me Love You, Jerry O 104

Dukays, The Jerk / Mo' Jerk, Jerry O 105

Dukays, Mellow - Fezneckey / Sho Nuf M.F. Jerry O 106

Mutt & Jeffo, Soul L O V E R / Soul Blues, Jerry O 106 ( white labels stuck over the Sherwood Production 45)

Maruice Miller Trio, Fly Me To The Moon / Karachi, Jerry O 107 (800 A & 801 B in dead wax)

Paul Tate, Fool For You / Save Your Love, Jerry O 110

Tom & Jerroo, (Papa Chew) Do The Boo Ga Loo pt 1 / pt 2, Jerry O 111

Tom & Jerryo, Soul L O V E R / I'm Tired, Sherwood Production 106

Jerry O, Karate Boo Ga Loo / The Pearl, Shout 217

Jerry O, Funky Boo Ga Loo / Push, Push, Shout 225

Jerry O. Afro-Twist Time (Um-Gpw-Wow) / Dance What Cha Wanna, Shout 228

Jerry O, Funky Football / Wang Dang Do, Wand 11222

Jerry O, Soul Sister / Huckle Buck, White Whale 296

Jerry O, There Was a Time / Funky Charge, White Whale 318

E Rodney Jones & Larry & the Hippies Band, Right On - Right On (Sex Machines), Westbound 160

E Rodney Jones & Larry & the Hippies Band, Right On - Right On / Chicken On Down, Double Soul 107

Bronzettes, Moments / (Beggin') Baby Don't Leave Me, Double Soul 108

Third Party, Such a Soul Says pt 1 / pt 2, Soul Hawk 002

I've never seen a Double Soul label listing, so there may be other connections on there. There are a couple of apparently unissued tracks on a couple of CDs of Tom & Jerry O I have. I spoke to Sammy Kaplan about five years ago but he was very cagey about things but they do have a website that used to have each track of Karate Boo Ga Loo isolated and you can hear them, www.lovelanemusic.com

Well, that's about the limit of my info.

That's good detective work fellas. We had a Jerry-O project scheduled for the next batch of the Backbeats Artists series as we had a deal going with Lovelane Music, however it's currently on hold due to us trying to verify the rights on certain songs and different people claiming ownership on some of the stuff we wanted to licence in I believe. So it's on hold for the moment I'm afraid........

I'll pass the above info over to Matthew who's dealing with the licensing and see if it helps him out....

Ian D :D

Social source share

Hi Ian, I don't envy your task, in the mid 70's Tom De Pierro's first venture into the Motown vaults in LA uncovered the backing track to `Boo Ga Loo` and the story of ownership then came to light for us outside of the US music industry loop. Some forty years after that the Funk Brothers had mobilised and were touring the world and belatedly and rightly reaping some benefit and credit from their previously often unacknowledged efforts and when I reviewed a CD that contained an instrumental version of there's a `Ghost in My House`, the next I know I received a phone call from their lawyers insisting I tell them the source of the CD for royalty purposes. What I'm getting at here is, surely anyone of possibly scores of folk who own the rights to many, many tracks that were recorded in south Michigan and know and have possibly even disclosed at some point that the Motown backing boys were behind them will now be keeping very, very quiet.

Edited by Keith Rylatt
Social source share

Hi Ian, I don't envy your task, in the mid 70's Tom De Pierro's first venture into the Motown vaults in LA uncovered the backing track to `Boo Ga Loo` and the story of ownership then came to light for us outside of the US music industry loop. Some forty years after that the Funk Brothers had mobilised and were touring the world and belatedly and rightly reaping some benefit and credit from their previously often unacknowledged efforts and when I reviewed a CD that contained an instrumental version of there's a `Ghost in My House`, the next I know I received a phone call from their lawyers insisting I tell them the source of the CD for royalty purposes. What I'm getting at here is, surely anyone of possibly scores of folk who own the rights to many, many tracks that were recorded in south Michigan and know and have possibly even disclosed at some point that the Motown backing boys were behind them will now be keeping very, very quiet.

Hi Keith,

Funnily enough I was going to contact you on this very issue but events superceded us from moving too much further on the project.

Yep. I knew it would be a thorny issue from the off when I saw the Lovelane listing as I'd seen quite a few of the tracks on other comps over the years. Frankly, for a Jerry-O release that's only got limited appeal it's simply not worth getting into arguements with people over who owns what so it's temporarily shelved for the moment. Also, when we tried to license in some of the other Jerry-O tracks we ran into problems there as well. Being a part of the BBC we play it strictly by the book so there's no way we'll ever release anything unless we feel 100% comfortable with the licensing. So it may be a while before anything happens on this one........

Ian D :D

Social source share

Hi Kris. I too am sucked in by that odd track. I guess it goes to show just how amateur many of what we revere as iconic tracks were. Somewhere on soulfuldetroit.com Ralph Terrana gives a graphic account of just how crazy the Jerry O sessions were; so a few mike switches not on must have been the least of his worries.

Edited by Keith Rylatt
Social source share

Hi Boba. 2.30am and got something on my mind - that Double Soul 45 was also on Volt. It's Bernie Hayes, `Tribute to a Black Woman` pts 1 & 2. Mine's on Volt #4032. The Double Shot one has a typo Barnie Hayes #1044. Also, I used to have `The Soul Pearl` by him on Bright Star but if I recall it was just a version rather than having any production links.

I'd also forgotten about that White Whale 45 # 282 `Funky Four Corners` / `Soul Lover`.

Do you know what that alternative Dukays flip is?

Thanks for the 106 dead wax info, I think I need to look at them all don't I!

With all of these grey area releases that Ian refers to, I am amazed that `Oolya - Choo` never made it onto a 45 or CD.

Edited by Keith Rylatt
Social source share

sorry i have been really busy and have not had a chance to put in more info, I will try to later today. It would help if you made up a list with all the jerry-o/larry-o/boo-ga-loo/double soul 45s in label # order (and excluded the major label things), I might notice something and be able to fill in holes. I will try to scan the scoop sanders also. I actually looked at the deadwax of all the major label numbers to see if there might be some missing number in the deadwax but they all appeared to be mastered and repressed by the labels themselves and only had markings of the major label. Thanks.

Social source share

Here's what I've compiled over the years:

Boo-Ga-Loo

101 Mary Johnson “I’m Tired/ Inst.”

102 Jerry O “Karate Boo-Ga-Loo/ The Pearl”

104 Jerry O “Popcorn Boo-Ga-Loo/ Pt. 2”

107 Jerry O “The Funky Chicken Yolk/ Get A Line”

108 The Ideals “The Mighty Lover/ Dancing In The USA”

110 Jerry O “Scratch My Back/ Soul Pearl”

111 Tom & Jerrio “(Papa Chew) Do The Boo-Ga-Loo/ Pt. 2”

112 Green Grunchon’s All-Stars “Guys And Gals Bounce/ Ode To Wash Alley Girls”

466 Jerry O “Funky Four Corners/ Soul Lover”

466 Milton Jefferson “Cole Slaw/ ???”

468 The Mighty Lovers “The Mighty Lover/ Soul Blues”

468 The Ideals “The Mighty Lover/ Soul Blues”

Double Soul

107 E. Rodney Jones & Larry and the Hippies Band “Right On-Right On/ Chicken On Down”

108 The Bronzettes “Moments/ (Beggin) Baby Don’t Leave Me”

110 E. Rodney Jones “Pushing The Buck/ Soul Sister”

112 Scoop Sanders “I’m The Boss/ Pt. 2”

DS-1044 Barnie Hayes “Tribute To A Black Woman/ Pt. 2”

Jerry O

101 Plookie McCline “Uncle Willy/ The Gorilla Walk”

101 Charles McCline “You Conquered Me/ Say That You Care”

103 Willie Logan & the Plaids “You Conquered Me/ Say That You Care”

104 Bobby Rush “Let Me Love You/ Someday”

105 The Dukays “The Jerk/ Mo Jerk”

106 The Dukays “Mellow-Feznecky/ Sho Nuf M.F.”

SP-106 Mutt and Jeff “Soul L-O-V-E-R/ Soul Blues”

107 Maurice Miller Trio “Fly Me To The Moon/ Karachi”

EX-801 Maurice Miller Trio “Fly Me To The Moon/ Karachi”

110 Paul Tate “Fool For You/ Save Your Love”

110 Tom & Jerrio “Boo-Ga-Loo/ Boomerang”

111 Tom & Jerrio “Papa Chew Do The Boo-Ga-Loo/ Pt. 2”

112 Joe Berry “(Do) Wang Dang Doodle/ Inst.”

Larry-O

101 Charles (Plookie) McCline “You Conquered Me/ Say That You Care”

404 Johnny Moore “What More Can I Do/ Let’s Get It Together”

Social source share

also add

Volt 4047 - Bernie Hayes - Cool Strut

Produced by Gene Anderson, Jerry-O & Bernie Hayes.

This and the other Bernie Hayes track are I think Oliver Sain related also. Either Chicago or St Louis things.

Getting to Volt through Don Davis. Cool Strut at least has Popcorn Wylie, Junior Wells & Buddy Guy on it.

Social source share

Hmmm....lots to contemplate here, thank you guys. If anyone is interested I did a long Jerry O story over two issues of Manifesto a couple of years ago, issues # 99 & 100. Chalky, do you have a number for that soulmates 45 please? Just listened to it on youtube, great.

Kris, also just listened to Cool Strut, unmistakable Jerry O in-put eh.

DMC - I'm now gonna hunt down that Multon Jefferson, Joe Berry and Scoop Saunders, thank you.

Social source share

I've done a bit of digging and I'm pretty confident and agree with the earlier suggestion that the Larry O label was owned by Larry Blasingaine. Larry's name appears on the Bronzettes' 45, also he was Larry of Larry & the Hippies. He came to the UK in the mid 70s as guitarist in Jackie Wilson's band and my pal Bob Foster spoke to him when they performed at Colwyn Bay. I'm trying to get his number as I'd love to ask him a few Qs. A couple of years ago a previously `lost` tape of The Jackson Five's first session for Steel Town turned up and Larry is credited as guitarist.

Below are tracks on 45s that I know of that can be directly connected to Jerry O / Sammy Kaplan. The Sandy Nelson, Karate Boo Ga Loo is simply a cover but the Les McCann version on his Bucket O Grease LP is played over a genuine Lovelane track.

ABC

Tom & Jerrio

Boo Ga Loo

Boomerang

ABC

Tom & Jerrio

Great Goo Ga Moo Ga

Come On And Love Me

ABC

Tom & Jerrio

Oolya-Choo

Bacardi (unissued)

Boo Ga Loo

Mary Johnson

I’m Tired

Inst

Boo Ga Loo

Jerry O

Karate Boogaloo

The Pearl

Boo Ga Loo

Jerry O

Popcorn Boo Ga Loo

Pt 2

Same master as Sherwood 106

Boo Ga Loo

Jerry O

Get A Line

The Funky Chicken Yoke

Boo Ga Loo

Ideals

The Mighty Lover

Dancing In The USA

Boo Ga Loo

Jerry O

Scratch My Back

Soul Pearl

Boo Ga Loo

Green Grunchons All Stars

Guys & Gals Bounce

Ode To Wash Allen Girls

Boo Ga Loo

Jerry O

(Funky) Four Corners

Soul Lover (master #106)

Boo Ga Loo

Milton Jefferson

Cole Slaw

Boo Ga Loo

Mighty Lovers

Mighty Lover

Soul Blues

Bright Star

Bernie Hayes

Calling On My Buddy’s

Soul Pearl

Double Soul

E Rodney Jones & Larry & The Hippies

Chicken On Down

Right On Right On

Double Soul

Bronzettes

Moments

(Beggin) Baby Don’t Leave Me

Double Soul

E Rodney Jones

Pushing The Buck

Soul Sister

Double Soul

Scoop Sanders

I Am The Boss

Pt 2

Double Soul

Soulmates

Sock-In-Soul

Jerry O

Plookie McCline

Gorilla Walk

Uncle Willie

Jerry O

Charles (Plookie) McCline

You Conquored Me

Say That You Care

Jerry O

Willie Logan & Plaids

You Conquored Me

Say That You Care

Jerry O

Bobby Rush

Let Me Love You

Some Day

Jerry O

Dukays

The Jerk

Mo Jerk

Jerry O

Dukays

Mellow Fezneckey

Sh Nuf M.F.

Jerry O

Mutt & Jeffo (labels stuck over Sherwood 106)

Soul L O V E R

Soul Blues

Jerry O

Maurice Miller Trio

Karachi

Fly Me To The Moon

Jerry O

Paul Tate

Fool For You

Save Your Love

Jerry O

Tom & Jerroo

Do The Boo Ga Loo

Pt 2

Jerry O

Joe Berry

(Do) The Wang Dang Do

Larry O

Charles (Plookie) McCline

She Got Another Man

You Conquored Me

Larry O

Johnny Moore

What More Can I Do

Let’s Get It Together

Sherwood Production

Mutt & Jeffo

Soul L O V E R

Soul Blues

Shout

Jerry O

Karate Boo Ga Loo

The Pearl

Shout

Jerry O

Boo Ga Loo

Push Push

Shout

Jerry O

Afro Twist Time (Um Gow Wow)

Dance What Cha Wanna

Soul Hawk

Third Party

Such A Soul Says Pt 1

Pt 2

Volt

Bernie Hayes

Tribute To A Black Woman Pt 1

Pt 2

Volt

Bernie Hayes

Cool Strut Pt 1

Pt 2

Wand

Jerry O

Funky Football

Wang Dang Do

Westbound

E Rodney Jones

Right on Right on

Football

White Whale

Jerry O

(Funky) Four Corners

Soul Lover

White Whale

Jerry O

Huckle Buck

Soul Sister

White Whale

Jerry O

There Was A Time

Funky Charge

Social source share

• 1 month later...

There are a couple of omissions from the above list, (sorry it's so badly laid out).

Double Soul 1044 Bernie Hayes `Tribute to a Black Woman` Pts 1 & 2.

Jerry O 110 Tom & Jerrio `Boogaloo` / ` Boomerang.

Pameline 2010 Detroit Executives `Cool Off`.

Regarding the many gaps - Boo Ga Loo 103, 105, 109, 111. Jerry O 102, 108. Double Soul 100 - 107, 109, 111 and possibly some on Larry O, I'd love to hear if any of you guys know any? There was a different Boogaloo label from Louisiana, it has a four digit numbering system.

Larry Blasingaine (almost certainly behind Larry O) came to the UK in '75 backing Jackie Wilson and when they appeared at Colwyn bay Pier Bob Foster and Ritchie Andrews spoke to him and he knew details of every Chicago 45 they put before him. I'm trying to contact him.

I'm calling Sammy Kaplan this week so will report back if he can answer a few questions.

Social source share

I mentioned the bernie hayes above. Sorry I have not had time to respond with more info in more detail.

I know Larry Blasingaine. He was also in the band for the Chicago SoulTrip USA (although none of the participants probably knew it... one of the marlynns was on drums and Bernard Reed was on Bass).

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Boo-Ga-Loo

101 Mary Johnson “I’m Tired/ Inst.”

102 Jerry O “Karate Boo-Ga-Loo/ The Pearl”

104 Jerry O “Popcorn Boo-Ga-Loo/ Pt. 2”

107 Jerry O “The Funky Chicken Yolk/ Get A Line”

108 The Ideals “The Mighty Lover/ Dancing In The USA”

110 Jerry O “Scratch My Back/ Soul Pearl”

111 Tom & Jerrio “(Papa Chew) Do The Boo-Ga-Loo/ Pt. 2”

112 Green Grunchon’s All-Stars “Guys And Gals Bounce/ Ode To Wash Alley Girls”

466 Jerry O “Funky Four Corners/ Soul Lover”

466 Milton Jefferson “Cole Slaw/ ???”

468 The Mighty Lovers “The Mighty Lover/ Soul Blues”

468 The Ideals “The Mighty Lover/ Soul Blues”

Looking at this list, the first issue of "The Mighty Lover" by The Ideals/Mighty Lovers is the 108  purple label,  ZTSC styrene copy.  The yellow label 468 was later?

I have often wondered which came first.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert