Psychedelic Soul - Saxie Russell

macca

Now then chaps. My first inkling that Northern Soul existed was sometime in 1973 when a geezer from Peterborough had Saxie Russell is our friend written on his school satchel. This guy went on to DJ at St.Ives very briefly around 1975 and his name was Bruno, of Italian extraction. Anyway, I posted the record on Facebook as a tribute to our elder Hose Street brethren, Max Rees, Dave Taylor, Dave Ferguson and Paul Donnelly. However, and much to my surprise, I was told it was never actually played there. Was this a post Torch, transitional record, played at somewhere like Sale Mecca, before going big at Wigan/Blackpool then?

Social source share

CATACOMBS, WOLVERHAMPTON...graham warr bought it back from the states on one of his epic record buying journeys along with a host of other never-to-be-forgotten classics. blue max made it the club anthem....wigan made it stellar. note: max was a law unto himself, he never went to the states...he didnt need to , with his little book of contacts and he had a good many monster tunes before ANYONE else, thus, saxie russell came his way. he cut me an emidisc of it...and i promptly wore it out!!,...i also love this record so much that i split my head open on a concrete beam in the club doing a flying backdrop to it...ah, fabulous memories!! :dash2::hypo::facepalm:

Edited by AGENTSMITH
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Ahhh.. now I understand. Thanks very much for that. Blue Max, Pep and The Cats. What would the scene have been without 'em, eh?

and just for good measure, lets get anorak ( yes, its that old chesnut before you all chime in! ) due to a printing error, there are copies with the record label name: thomas, spelt tomas, thus its infinitely harder to find and costs more.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Krissii

no not the whole song macca , i mean there is a similar psychedelic sound effect for a few seconds. . . . . or maybe its just me hahaha :)

Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Great record,absolute stormer,I seem to recall Tony Dellar playing it a lot and wasnt it a favourite at the Howard Mallett?Very fond memories connected to being with friends all having highly stimulated nervous systems including Gav r.i.p,Wilky,Rug etc all playing air saxphone along to the breaks,imo this record used to inspire more air saxophone playing on and off dancefloors than any other record I can remember.Goergina from cambridge was excellent at this skill,top class air saxophone player and person!

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!