I Was An Inverted Soul Snob Knob

Peter99

When I started going to soul do's I became a right soul snob - I don't know why because I knew fcuk all about Northern Soul. Still don't! Anyway, when attending non soul do's which became less and less as my all niter career took off I used to react pretty badly to disco dj's who used to say "Now for a bit of northern" - and then play shit like Needle in a Hay Stack, some other rubbish like Diana Ross - you know the sort of crap. My snobbery also came to the fore when people would say "Mm, you're into Motown aren't you" etc.

As a result - and at my own loss, I discounted loads of good stuff over the years - because I thought it was Motown shit, or it was stuff like Band Of Gold, Freda Payne - which I thought was rubbish just because the disco DJ dare call it northern soul. "You wouldn't know a northern soul record if it poked you in the eye" I used to scoff. "Too rare for you to have any in your crappy box of pop records".

Obviously, I've learnt over the years how wrong I was - just a great big snob!

Anyone have any views?

Peter

:thumbsup:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

When I started going to soul do's I became a right soul snob - I don't know why because I knew fcuk all about Northern Soul. Still don't! Anyway, when attending non soul do's which became less and less as my all niter career took off I used to react pretty badly to disco dj's who used to say "Now for a bit of northern" - and then play shit like Needle in a Hay Stack, some other rubbish like Diana Ross - you know the sort of crap. My snobbery also came to the fore when people would say "Mm, you're into Motown aren't you" etc.

As a result - and at my own loss, I discounted loads of good stuff over the years - because I thought it was Motown shit, or it was stuff like Band Of Gold, Freda Payne - which I thought was rubbish just because the disco DJ dare call it northern soul. "You wouldn't know a northern soul record if it poked you in the eye" I used to scoff. "Too rare for you to have any in your crappy box of pop records".

Anyone have any views?

Peter

You did the right thing.

Social source share

I thought this might open up some serious debate!

:rolleyes:

This is soul source,if you want serious debate start an OVO thread :)

Back on topic, no I dont think I was a Soul Snob as I came from a background of

liking soul before I got into northern. I must admit tho that I have been

tempted to point out to some DJ's what northern soul actually is.

Its a thin line between northern & motown, can you imagine if Four Tops Reach Out

was as rare as say Barbara Mcnair.

Kegsy

Edited by Kegsy
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

This is soul source,if you want serious debate start an OVO thread :)

Back on topic, no I dont think I was a Soul Snob as I came from a background of

liking soul before I got into northern. I must admit tho that I have been

tempted to point out to some DJ's what northern soul actually is.

Its a thin line between northern & motown, can you imagine if Four Tops Reach Out

was as rare as say Barbara Mcnair.

Kegsy

That's the sort of thing Kegsy. I blanket snubbed everything from the likes of Gladys Knight etc - I'm pleased I saw the error of my ways.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

That's the sort of thing Kegsy. I blanket snubbed everything from the likes of Gladys Knight etc - I'm pleased I saw the error of my ways.

To snub anything by the greatest female vocalist of all time is beyond

my comprehension, see me after school.

kegsy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Well, 'inverted' snobbery is rife. On many occasions I've played records and some have asked about them.....then immediately lose interest when they find out it’s a 'cheapy' (Another phrase I hate) Same thing if I’ve ever covered up a cheap record - for the fun of it (I hasten to add!) — As soon as the ‘mystery’ is over the interest gets lost — It’s quite fascinating to see actually.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

It's a curse. Last saturday I had a 25 year Latin Soul-Jazz DJ come running behind the decks to photograph Leon Hayward 'It's Got To Be Mellow'. He was raving about it, hadn't heard it till then. I smiled to myself as years ago I'd have given the same record short shrift on the grounds of its commonness and midtemponess. To get hung up such considerations is shallow, very shallow. I like to think I've mellowed (forgive the pun) with age and now accept virtually anything with open ears... within reason... :wink:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I've never dissed the music of my youth, but I had a spell as a snob in the late 9Ts, thankfully I've recovered, because I was completely and utterly in the wrong. Everything has a place, once I realised that, I started to enjoy everything a whole lot more. :)

Crumbs Win, it's not about enjoying yourself! :rofl:

All the best,

• Helpful 2
Social source share

It's a curse. Last saturday I had a 25 year Latin Soul-Jazz DJ come running behind the decks to photograph Leon Hayward 'It's Got To Be Mellow'. He was raving about it, hadn't heard it till then. I smiled to myself as years ago I'd have given the same record short shrift on the grounds of its commonness and midtemponess. To get hung up such considerations is shallow, very shallow. I like to think I've mellowed (forgive the pun) with age and now accept virtually anything with open ears... within reason... :wink:

Life long learning Macca.

I now think i have impeccable taste when it comes to soul music.

:hypocrite:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Nice post - It's been said before and a few have admited, that they stopped listening.

All the best,

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Anyone have any views?

Peter

Yep, been there, done all that, worn the T-shirt - it's a scene curse I'm afraid, but just like you Peter, I finally came to realise just how great the majority of the tunes many of us look down our noses at because of scene involvement, actually are. Better late than never eh? :)

Social source share

Yep, been there, done all that, worn the T-shirt - it's a scene curse I'm afraid, but just like you Peter, I finally came to realise just how great the majority of the tunes many of us look down our noses at because of scene involvement, actually are. Better late than never eh? :)

Absolutely Roger. It's strange - perverse really, that even way back then there were things that I thought, mm, that's awful - but as a new kid on the block you daren't say so. Things like Black Power, the Mickey Mouse thing - they were quite big records in the late 70's when I started out. I've never really understood them - and not sure that I ever will.

Some of the other stuff though was sheer stupidity and naivety - Gladys Knight is superb - as is Freda Payne. We sort of get there in the end.

Peter

Social source share

As a kind of reminder of what you are talking about, I almost always play this in my spot - I will most definatelly be playing it in 'Len's Den' (Nov 17th) :rofl: along side some rare ones and some 'cheapies', in contrast it seems to sound better than it ever sounded as do any reactivated oldies.

All the best,

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

An interesting read, there's no need to be ashamed of this happening, I put it down to 'human trait' - trying to 'fit in' or whatever similar reason, it's more so as people are growing up of course - now we're older and (a bit) wiser, as you have shown, we can 'finally' laugh at ourselves.

I remember watching Sir Richard Attenborough (You thought I was going to say Searling didn't ya?!) ....On a Parkinson interview and he was saying he loves being at the age he was then (pretty old) because and I quote "The pressure’s off" and he went on to talk about what it's like now at parties etc, he said he felt so much more relaxed - A great man.

All the best,

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

An interesting read, there's no need to be ashamed of this happening, I put it down to 'human trait' - trying to 'fit in' or whatever similar reason, it's more so as people are growing up of course - now we're older and (a bit) wiser, as you have shown, we can 'finally' laugh at ourselves.

I remember watching Sir richard Attenborough (You thought I was going to say Searling didn't ya?!) ....On a Parkinson interview and he was saying he loves being at the age he was then (pretty old) because and I quote "The pressure’s off" and he went on to talk about what it's like now at parties etc, he said he felt so much more relaxed - A great man.

All the best,

Bless you Len

That's a lovely positive post.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I used to collect motown when I was going to all nighters in the 70's - wished I'd bought more of it at the time as you used to see R&W demo's aplenty for under £10. Was happy to come back from Wigan and a Cleethorpes all dayer Aug bank holiday 77 with Jnr Walker EP, I know (I'm Losing You) -Temps and Chairmen Of the Board - Give Me Just A Little More Time - Still have them.

Edited by autumnstoned
Social source share

No never been one myself, still get off to Judy Street, Bandwagon, dobie Grey, you know the sort of stuff, the stuff that got ya into the "scene" in the first place.......AND DON'T EVER FORGET THAT!!!

Your tastes may change but you CANNOT dislike a tune just because you now know different, you may get sick of hearing it, or may never wish to hear it at a nighter, but you will always like it.........IMHO!!

Daz.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Anyone have any views?

Peter

yes you did the right thind

Social source share

I'm not posh enough to be a snob but agree with Daz as I still like it all its what got me hooked but have got bored with hearing some but for me it's not about dismissing what I know all to well it's about hearing tunes I'm going to enjoy as much that I've not yet heard.

Peter I have to agree with you cos you are a KNOB :-))))

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

quote name='Peter99' timestamp='1351088364' post='1814100'

Anyone have any views?

Peter

great post peter. they are out there. i dont know if i could say i discounted them, certainly never bought some. Whilst being a motown collector you cant be a soul snob but i have found myself buying a record and thinking why the hell didnt i get that then and the excuse i come up with is " its only a fiver, must be loads, ill get it later........" later turning into years and then you think how on earth did i miss this or that and why did i never buy it. cliff nobles "judge baby" and johnny sayles are cases in point.

anyone else done that

sadly i draw the line at the snake, purchased in the 70`s and never played out...........YET, Possibly get a spin at the FLY BY NIGHT, some of the rare stuff now isnt to rare, the chase is over so maybe time to seek out a few more

checkout these, some of my non snobs

peter jarrett run run baby run mgm

lonley crowde shadows mgm

barbara mc nair my world ended motown

those early days, 69/70/71/72 ...........great days

bazza

Social source share

Interesting topic Pete and if we are all honest suppose we are all a bit guilty of what your describing. I grew up in a house where my older sister was a original Mod girl so growing up remember hearing Kinks Motown etc., my older brother was a Skinhead/ Suede Head, so Reggae/ Ska and my younger sister was into Rock :ohmy:

My Cousin introduced me to Northern Soul and i was hooked immediately by the music. I can remember defending it to death at a time when most people including my siblings ridiculed the music, clothes and scene as naff circa 1976/77 think people forget that , as now outsiders view Northern Soul as retro cool. So like you I was guilty of being a N.Soul snob.

Think most would agree those times 76/77 where strange , Golden era over etc.pop influenced "newies" stuff coming through, which even as a impressionable teenager i found a bit naff, although some good then modern soul stuff emerging . I found myself more often than not in oldies rooms where i was listening to what i now know was 60s club classics, met Glen Bellamy who educated me in this stuff.

Coming full circle my eldest son 23 is heavily into rare motown and soul which has filtered down, In the end I suppose all the dots have been joined and now i listen to and have a healthy respect for all the genres

not sure about the rock thing though :g:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

As a kind of reminder of what you are talking about, I almost always play this in my spot - I will most definatelly be playing it in 'Len's Den' (Nov 17th) :rofl: along side some rare ones and some 'cheapies', in contrast it seems to sound better than it ever sounded as do any reactivated oldies.

All the best,

Yes and i forgive you for nicking this of me :thumbup: a soul in the bowl "main room classic"

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Krissii

Wish people would write txt of what links are . They dont always show up on a phone :) . Heard -Quick Change Artist- in town shopping today . Not a bad un really.

Social source share

i think youre all being a bit hard on your selves....i agree with bearsy...not wanting to hear something because youve heard it a million times doesnt make you a snob....and then when you havnt been listening to it for a while one day you hear it and get a buzz again..thats underplayed oldies for ya

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Interesting topic Pete and if we are all honest suppose we are all a bit guilty of what your describing. I grew up in a house where my older sister was a original Mod girl so growing up remember hearing Kinks Motown etc., my older brother was a Skinhead/ Suede Head, so Reggae/ Ska and my younger sister was into Rock :ohmy:

My Cousin introduced me to Northern Soul and i was hooked immediately by the music. I can remember defending it to death at a time when most people including my siblings ridiculed the music, clothes and scene as naff circa 1976/77 think people forget that , as now outsiders view Northern Soul as retro cool. So like you I was guilty of being a N.Soul snob.

Think most would agree those times 76/77 where strange , Golden era over etc.pop influenced "newies" stuff coming through, which even as a impressionable teenager i found a bit naff, although some good then modern soul stuff emerging . I found myself more often than not in oldies rooms where i was listening to what i now know was 60s club classics, met Glen Bellamy who educated me in this stuff.

Coming full circle my eldest son 23 is heavily into rare motown and soul which has filtered down, In the end I suppose all the dots have been joined and now i listen to and have a healthy respect for all the genres

not sure about the rock thing though :g:

nice post....how old were you in 1976?

Social source share

nice post....how old were you in 1976?

Hi Terry,

Jem's just coming up to 50 years old - it's to early for me to do the math, but he was the right age to correspond to such a nice post.

I know exactly what you're getting at though, some do stretch the truth, but this one's ok.

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

All the best,

I couldn't agree with you more.Martha Reeves and the Vandellas 'Nowhere to Run'.

The power and nuances of this song never fails to do it for me.

A perfect example of a tune which could be passed by through 'soul snobbery'.

Edited by nickp
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

good subject

shame about the offtopic stuff and event promotion

drop the jokes, drop the ott event promotion

not needed or wanted

Doh! - Sorry Mike, I did mention it to you yesterday in my P.M but you didn't say anything so I thought my 'tongue in cheek' blatant promotion was ok.

Appologies.

All the best,

Social source share

The way I see it is you are never to old to learn or start to appreciate something you discounted before .

I hate soul snobbery and try to avoid contact with anyone that may think they are a cut above the rest , lets just say i keep them at arms length.

Look at me only 4 weeks ago at Banbury , when Charlie played Gwen Owens Mess up a good thing. I forgot the sound but knew it was familiar, it bugged me all week until it popped its head up in Andrea's Eurp playlist ... I can't dance to it but love it .

A bit of soul humility never hurt anyone. It constantly happens to me with "impressions" tracks.

Social source share

Hi Terry,

Jem's just coming up to 50 years old - it's to early for me to do the math, but he was the right age to correspond to such a nice post.

I know exactly what you're getting at though, some do stretch the truth, but this one's ok.

All the best,

:lol: If i was gonna stretch the truth would try and make myself younger Len , maybe cool Stafford Goer or something, no never went unfortunately. I have to admit i got into the scene at arguably one of its worst periods spencer soul bags white socks and Muriel Day were the order of the day for me :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!