Female Record Dealers

Simsy

No shortage of lady dj's. But how many full on dealers are there? By 'full on' I mean lists etc, not just trades and sales boxes. Only one's I know of are kind of man and wife teams.

So are there any? And if not, why not?

Don't know of any. Consulted my missus about it she reckons it's because "Women have a life!!" :thumbsup:

What could she mean?

Derek

Social source share

No shortage of lady dj's. But how many full on dealers are there? By 'full on' I mean lists etc, not just trades and sales boxes. Only one's I know of are kind of man and wife teams.

Plenty on ebay from the States have bought from quite a few

Lenny

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Plenty on ebay from the States have bought from quite a few

Lenny

Yeah, any good?

Asked a qustion of some bird from North Carolina (or sim) who had a Bing Crosby number as 'Mega Northern Soul' - - "Who told you this was mega northern soul"? She replied back "yo mumma"! Cheeky mare. :unsure:

So no UK lasses with lists then?

Poor show. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Maye Luquet from New Orleans used to trade on ebay, but not noticed any items from her of late.

She bought a load of stuff from a warehouse at one point and was listing 'em in quanities of 100 or so at a time on ebay.

Bought loads of her a few years back...anyone dealt with her lately?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This just in ...

We go live to Snowland UK;

Well jodie just started up and kym fuller used to be a dealer I think? thing is for men its a progression from top trumps so cant blame women for not getting into it, and we prefer not to be stuck in one place all night either LOL

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Women shouldnt be collecting, djing or dealing! they should have their little feet in the kitchen cooking then cleaning and having babies. They should be seen and not heard and best of all they should be in servitude to their men.

OUCH the boss has just slapped me!

Social source share

Women shouldnt be collecting, djing or dealing! they should have their little feet in the kitchen cooking then cleaning and having babies. They should be seen and not heard and best of all they should be in servitude to their men.

:ohmy:

Social source share

Maybe they have more sense than buying loads of vinyl that can just sit there till some one wants that perticular record...especialy when they could be buying lip gloss, shoes and bags...

Buying Lip gloss, shoe's and bag's... :PYour mixing with the wrong type of women!! :P I'd rather have vinyl anyday. :ohmy:

Seriously, I collected but never wanted to Dj, as prefer to dance, but would definately loved to be a record dealer.

The reason I've not been able to, is you would have to commit 100% of your time and having had a family, job and home to run, this wasn't possible. Now I have time and could commit, not enough knowledge, experience, nor capital to buy the record's to start off. :(

If I could go back to 1980, I can remember a moment when that would all have been possible.

Andy, what's this all about us UK girl's needing our beauty sleep!!. :angry: :P

Karen

Social source share

Robyn :ohmy: used to sell at all the major nighters in the not to distant past. She / He. That count ?

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

not lately Mace, though have done in the past.... she cant have run out...

She must have run out of Eskew Reeder - Undivided Love........I had at least 14 copies off her :ohmy:

She once sent me a box of 30 New Orleans Soul & R&B 45s for free, asking only for an indication of genre of music so she could describe them more accurately on ebay (yeah, yeah I know, why did she ask me then.... :P )

Maye even let me have records sent to her to forward on from U.S. sellers who would not ship out of U.S.

Great gal...have to check ebay see if she's still selling....

Social source share

She must have run out of Eskew Reeder - Undivided Love........I had at least 14 copies off her :ohmy:

She once sent me a box of 30 New Orleans Soul & R&B 45s for free, asking only for an indication of genre of music so she could describe them more accurately on ebay (yeah, yeah I know, why did she ask me then.... :P )

Maye even let me have records sent to her to forward on from U.S. sellers who would not ship out of U.S.

Great gal...have to check ebay see if she's still selling....

It could be that Maye Luquet was affected by Katrina :P but lets hope not.

Social source share

Maye Luquet from New Orleans used to trade on ebay, but not noticed any items from her of late.

She bought a load of stuff from a warehouse at one point and was listing 'em in quanities of 100 or so at a time on ebay.

Bought loads of her a few years back...anyone dealt with her lately?

I haven't bought off her for a while Mate but given where she lives its not suprising ... lots of water damaged labels I would guess..

Mike

• Helpful 1
Social source share

not lately Mace, though have done in the past.... she cant have run out...

I saw her STILL selling mint Eskew Reeders only a few weeks back I'm sure, she must have made about ten million pounds from the thousands if not trillions of mint copies she had/has.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Dunno about that Derek. If that were the case then there wouldn't be any women dj's would there? :rolleyes:

:shades: what if it was your life???? :shades: I used to do a list but, in the end, other commitments took over - like deejaying :lol: I take my hat off to any dealers of vinyl. It's hard work finding the tunes, typing up the list, sorting out the payments, dealing with time wasters, non-payment, the Post Office and doing it week/ month after month.....too much like hard work blush.gif Jo

Social source share

:rolleyes: what if it was your life???? :shades: I used to do a list but, in the end, other commitments took over - like deejaying blush.gif I take my hat off to any dealers of vinyl. It's hard work finding the tunes, typing up the list, sorting out the payments, dealing with time wasters, non-payment, the Post Office and doing it week/ month after month.....too much like hard work :shades: Jo

Hello again darling!! Just caught the very end of Big Daddy Bicknell`s Show on Solar Radio last night -was it your dulcet tones I could hear over the airwaves also?

Social source share

:rolleyes: what if it was your life???? :shades: I used to do a list but, in the end, other commitments took over - like deejaying blush.gif I take my hat off to any dealers of vinyl. It's hard work finding the tunes, typing up the list, sorting out the payments, dealing with time wasters, non-payment, the Post Office and doing it week/ month after month.....too much like hard work :shades: Jo

Thats a shame. I think there should be more women dealers.

So it's fair to say then on balance of this thread, that the number of (uk based) female dealers you can count on the fingers of one finger. :lol:

Social source share

Nancy Yahiro comes from Orange County and now lives in Florence, she's been dealing full time for yonks now

:lol: Gee, ask ANY male record dealer from the Los Angeles area who has known her, and they will tell you she has protested countless times for many years "I'm not a dealer; I want all all 20 copies (of whatever rarity was underpriced that day) to give away as door prizes to mods to come to my dance venues!" HA HA HA :yes::yes:

Social source share

• 6 years later...

i like it your spot on :lol: :lol: :lol:

Social source share

Nancy Yahiro comes from Orange County and now lives in Florence, she's been dealing full time for yonks now

Wondered what she's doing now. Lovely person to chat to as well. I'd reserved some records from her email list about 12 years ago, but was struck down by chicken pox a week later, and couldn't get out of the house because I was paranoid about my pizza face. So I phoned her to apologise for the delay in sending the money. 45 minutes later, and we're still chatting! One expensive apology that was!

From what I can remember, it was Nancy who introduced me to Jo Wallace (aka Vinyl Vixen), who was in the early years of running These Old Shoes at the time. That was the start of my return to the soul scene after a 5-year hiatus.

You can just imagine the headlines now; "Herpes: the cause of my return to the soul scene"!

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Wondered what she's doing now. Lovely person to chat to as well. I'd reserved some records from her email list about 12 years ago, but was struck down by chicken pox a week later, and couldn't get out of the house because I was paranoid about my pizza face. So I phoned her to apologise for the delay in sending the money. 45 minutes later, and we're still chatting! One expensive apology that was!

From what I can remember, it was Nancy who introduced me to Jo Wallace (aka Vinyl Vixen), who was in the early years of running These Old Shoes at the time. That was the start of my return to the soul scene after a 5-year hiatus.

You can just imagine the headlines now; "Herpes: the cause of my return to the soul scene"!

Gene, Nancy married an Italian chap and moved over to live there, she still puts lists out. I used to get some fantastic stuff from Nancy.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!