Hearing A Record Or

steve z

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Must own it, even if for a fleeting moment. How 'bout posing the question this way:

What's more important to you? The BEST song you've ever heard or the BEST record you've ever owned???

Social source share

35 years ago, owning record had some meaning for me. Nowadays, hearing them is enough. For me the ideal storage medium is the hard disk of a computer. It gives you the freedom to play singles that nothing else can. Well perhaps a juke box would come close. Do people really have the energy and time to jump up every 2 minutes to change a 45? I don't.Obviously, I'm talking about home listening here. Great thread, Steve.

Edited by Billy Freemantle
Social source share

BOTH - Hearing a record, loving it, then wanting to own it. :D

You can have the freedom to play single's without jumping up every 2 min's at home, by recording them. :yes:

But there's just something about owning that record, now this is where the thread take's us down a different path onto collecting vinyl, label's etc.......... :yes:

Karen

Social source share

35 years ago, owning record had some meaning for me. Nowadays, hearing them is enough. For me the ideal storage medium is the hard disk of a computer. It gives you the freedom to play singles that nothing else can. Well perhaps a juke box would come close. Do people really have the energy and time to jump up every 2 minutes to change a 45? I don't.Obviously, I'm talking about home listening here. Great thread, Steve.

Apart from sex, playing 45s is the only exercise I get. Which reminds me that I must get in shape as the sex is due again this August. Anyone know any good tongue exercises or will I have to hire the body-double again so I can get on with something more enjoyable like re-arranging the cutlery draw.

Trouble with collecting 45s is that once you've got them, what then. You need another one before boredom sets in.

ROD

Social source share

ROD has hit the nail on the head quite succinctly here. My wants list looks fantastic, as I'm sure most people's does. I always tend to think of the next record coming in as the one to put the icing on my collection. Some chance.

You can spend years dreaming of owning a particular record, yet when it finally turns up it's often a case of opening the mailer it arrived in, playing it once to check condition, filing it away and concentrating on the next one... a strange hobby in many ways.

Social source share

ROD has hit the nail on the head quite succinctly here. My wants list looks fantastic, as I'm sure most people's does. I always tend to think of the next record coming in as the one to put the icing on my collection. Some chance.

You can spend years dreaming of owning a particular record, yet when it finally turns up it's often a case of opening the mailer it arrived in, playing it once to check condition, filing it away and concentrating on the next one... a strange hobby in many ways.

Well Gareth, that's put an end to this thread by the looks of it. You're right though. You have say 45 X and 45 Y and you think 45 Z will just go nicely there and make 100% difference but then it just appears to get swallowed up and collection appears exactly the same as it was before, and you're left to look for the next one and it happens all over again.

I think the "tipping point" may occur when you forget you have a record. Not happened to me yet as I only have around 1000 but it may do with those with really big collections.

ROD

Social source share

I think the "tipping point" may occur when you forget you have a record. Not happened to me yet as I only have around 1000 but it may do with those with really big collections.

ROD

F**k me i forget about records in my 200 play box most times whistling.gif

Social source share

Stevie, i think the question hasn't a simple answer. I buy records firstly because i love the sound, yet i have a desire to own a original copy, and if i can't own the 45' then i do without. Can't really explain collecting to the unitiated......but those that do collect will fully understand the craving, the soul searching and the abject poverty..that desire can and does bring.(unless your a millionare!)

Brett

Social source share

ROD

Rod i have on occasion doubled up on a record, that i forgot i owned.........alas my memory is shot.......and i haven't a really big collection

Edited by Brett
Social source share

Stevie, i think the question hasn't a simple answer. I buy records firstly because i love the sound, yet i have a desire to own a original copy, and if i can't own the 45' then i do without. Can't really explain collecting to the unitiated......but those that do collect will fully understand the craving, the soul searching and the abject poverty..that desire can and does bring.(unless your a millionare!)

Brett

This sounds like something that could possibly require medical treatment, Brett. Forget the the soul searching; there's nothing wrong with that , and it does have quite a nice ring to it. But craving and abject poverty seem to be hallmarks of serious addiction. Do you get this craving for each and every of the many thousands of sounds that you love? Or are you able to confine the desire to own an original copy to certain records? And how do you decide which ones to pursue and which ones to leave for later? A reformed collecting friend of mine suggests that collecting is sometimes like serial monogamy, but that it can at times resemble promiscuous simulataneous polygamy. Is she close to the mark, do you think?

Social source share

This sounds like something that could possibly require medical treatment, Brett. Forget the the soul searching; there's nothing wrong with that , and it does have quite a nice ring to it. But craving and abject poverty seem to be hallmarks of serious addiction. Do you get this craving for each and every of the many thousands of sounds that you love? Or are you able to confine the desire to own an original copy to certain records? And how do you decide which ones to pursue and which ones to leave for later? A reformed collecting friend of mine suggests that collecting is sometimes like serial monogamy, but that it can at times resemble promiscuous simulataneous polygamy. Is she close to the mark, do you think?

Hi Billy, "Craving and Abject Poverty" are just me running riot with words, don't take everything i say as Gospel mate. This whole Forum is just a bit of harmless fun, with the odd poisoned piece occasionally.

As for your reformed friend, well she sounds like a sexual pervert that needs a foul and ugly chemical castration..............

Edited by Brett
Social source share

Hi Billy, "Craving and Abject Poverty" are just me running riot with words, don't take everything i say as Gospel mate. This whole Forum is just a bit of harmless fun, with the odd poisoned piece occasionally.

As for your reformed friend, well she sounds like a sexual pervert that needs a foul and ugly chemical castration..............

:shades: Sounds like word running riot again there, Brett.

Could I add that I thank God every day for collectors. Since day one of my love affair with soul ( almost 40 years now) they have been pointing me in the right direction.What is so brilliant now for lazy, passive consumers such as myself is how relatively easy it now is to get to hear and ( get a little electronic recording of) sounds that at one time only existed in my head after an all nighter. Some of the stuff that you played on that first spot that you did with Mark Bicknell such as Brendetta Davis have become personal favorites of mine.May your addiction continue forever, Brett!

Social source share

Hearing a record that makes yer hair stand on end is wonderful...but nothing compares to the thrill of hearing that same record hitting the doormat. :shades:

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky
Rod i have on occasion doubled up on a record, that i forgot i owned.........alas my memory is shot.......and i haven't a really big collection
Brett you're lucky, I've found 3 & 4 copies of tracks I own, especially cheapy items I see out and think I've been after that for ages get it home put it in collection then find at later date I have mulitple copies. :D Is this a serious problem I have :(
Social source share

Brett you're lucky, I've found 3 & 4 copies of tracks I own, especially cheapy items I see out and think I've been after that for ages get it home put it in collection then find at later date I have mulitple copies. :D Is this a serious problem I have :(

thanks god not just me

haven't got a particularly big collection but am always finding things i didn't know i had or buying things i've already got and then selling them 10% cheaper when i find out

i always think it shows consistency of taste ie i've liked the same records for 20+ years. or it could be boring taste as my wife suggests

and this memory thing does have an upside - there are so many more underplayed oldies and newies out there :D

it is a weird thing when you try to analyse it, record collecting. so i don't try to analyse it :(

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert