James Brown Live Version Wow

Sounds like the Apollo version;

"LIVE AT THE APOLLO VOLUME II" (1968 KING - 2 LP)

Best tracks - "Think"/"That's life"/"Let yourself go-There was a time-I feel all right"/"Cold sweat"/"It may be the last time"/"Bring it up"/"It's a man's, man's, man's world"/"I lost someone"

I'd have to dig it out to be sure though.

Social source share

"The hardest working man in show business" wasn't a throw away gimmick, he was IMHO, probably of no interest to the rare buffs, but this man made some of the greatest soul records ever, if you listen to some of his stuff, and theres lots, away from his hits, and most of them are grea anyway, he did some incredible stuff that stands alongside anyone you care to mention, mentioned this before, I was already a fully subscribed admirer, but Tomo (Alant) sent me a CD a while ago with a load of his not so well known stuff (and some semi known "Lost someone" for example) absolute stirring stuff, ballads, mid-tempo shufflers, you name it. Doesn't get enough credit on here

Kev

Edited by kev cane
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Anyone know what album this live version is off

I don't recognise that particular live version, but as said above, THE definitive version of "There Was A Time" and the greatest live track ever recorded IMO, is on the jaw-dropping "Live At The Apollo Vol 2". He was unbeatable in his prime......

Ian D :D

• Helpful 2
Social source share

"The hardest working man in show business" wasn't a throw away gimmick, he was IMHO, probably of no interest to the rare buffs, but this man made some of the greatest soul records ever, if you listen to some of his stuff, and theres lots, away from his hits, and most of them are grea anyway, he did some incredible stuff that stands alongside anyone you care to mention, mentioned this before, I was already a fully subscribed admirer, but Tomo (Alant) sent me a CD a while ago with a load of his not so well known stuff (and some semi known "Lost someone" for example) absolute stirring stuff, ballads, mid-tempo shufflers, you name it. Doesn't get enough credit on here

Kev

Absolutely Kev. I've got more LPs by JB than any other artist. Some of the most soulful stuff in my collection too.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

"The hardest working man in show business" wasn't a throw away gimmick .............

Kev

One of the reasons he got that title was a week like this ....

..... October 67 at the Howard Theatre in DC ....

17 shows in one 7 day long engagement & I'd guess he was on stage for over an hour during each show.

........... and he was just back from a European tour !!

post-22122-0-84224300-1351027818_thumb.j

post-22122-0-84224300-1351027818_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

a lot of his moves came from little willie john & jackie wilson so it say's in little willie john's book used to wipe the floor with them both pity there's no footage like there is of jb ,i'm not taking anything away from him a great performer all the same .

I was talking to a friend of mine who used to go to the Apollo in the late 50s and he tells me that whilst JB was good, Jackie wiped the floor with everyone. I'll have to ask him if he ever saw Little Willie John.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Joe Tex also had a dynamic stage show from an early stage .... he also claimed that JB pinched some of his 'trademark' stage moves.

I'll ask Kenny Hamber about Jackie Wilson & Little Willie John's stage acts. He was inspired to join show biz as a singer after seeing live shows by the 2 guys at the Royal Theater in Baltimore in late 50's / early 60's.

He did tell me that Jackie Wilson was 'super impressive' on stage but I didn't go into detail on why he thought that and also didn't aslk him about LWJ's stage act.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!