Original Vinyl What Is It ?

Dave West

well I'll risk getting my head blown off

at our Soul Nights @ Bridgwater on 13 October we had the issue of the sad passing of Frank Wilson to deal with ; just wouldn't be right to say nothing.

the request was, natch, and from a couple of sources, to play DILY. And somebody offered a 1970's tmg demo as something we could play for Frank to remember his fantastic contribution to our lives.

to me [as promoter of S.N.@ B.], and taking money off people who travel from near and far to come to an ' OVO ' night, it's a no-brainer. Can't be played.

Released in [ 1972 ? ] whereas the original is from [ 1966 ? ]. Can't be OVO.

The point of this posting is to air my view that occasionally people get mixed up with the boot v OVO debate [ surely dead simples ? ], whereas the more subtle issues are usually around re-release v OVO.

Anyway, all the above is off course, I.M.H.O. And I don't mind if someone wants to give me a kicking if the dates above are wrong. I guessed at them; I'm cooking dinner and didn't go and check them.

If anyone is interested, and still reading without nodding off, the tribute record to Frank was ' Stoned Love ', [ long winded spoken intro ], played as the ender, which is a bit of a S.N.@ .B guilty secret / fave.

pete

Hi Pete, just a question not a pop, you seem pretty dogmatic in your approach (100% original vinyl) as the F.W. situation suggests. You adverise A.T.B. night , so if i came along and requested say Frankie Beverley - Thats what i wanted or Majestics - I love her so much would i expect to hear it on Sassy/ Gamble or Linda/ WB in both cases one came before the other just wondered what your policy would be on them :)

Social source share

I do have a question for people that advocate O V O ..what is your motivation for doing so ? is it a respect thing for the artist ensuring they get royalties assuming they are still alive?, a deep respect for record label owners? or merely just a personal preference? and should you rename your policy as F.R.V.O (first release vinyl only) just to avoid confusion

I would not have thought any artist gets any royalties from OVO policies.

Just about every record played on the scene was played from a "second hand" copy,

Mecca current releases excepted.

The only way anybody would get royalties is via a legitimate re-release or being issued over

here Pye Disco Demand etc.

kegsy

Kegsy

Edited by Kegsy
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I would not have thought any artist gets any royalties from OVO policies.

Just about every record played on the scene was played from a "second hand" copy,

Mecca current releases excepted.

The only way anybody would get royalties is via a legitimate re-release or being issued over

here Pye Disco Demand etc.

kegsy

Kegsy

Interesting point Kegsy...so really in respect to those often unsung artists we should have all opted for ligit uk re issues back then

least they may have got some of their just deserts then....well i got loads of disco demand stuff i bought new so i done my bit :thumbsup:

Edited by GOGOPRO
Social source share

I do realise how important original vinyl is, don't get me wrong, I just think we're at the stage now where we can't afford to be elitist because there just aren't enough people left to support that kind of scene. In a few years, all that will be left will be oldies events and giant Blackpool Tower Ballroom type events where the majority really do just go for a good time and don't complain when the projected 45 on the wall is on Disco Demand and not Wand.

You dont have to wait for a few years Pete, its happening now & to say no one cares other than 30 people on SS is is just not true, I could probably name 30 people who care right now. You could actually turn that statement on its head by saying that most of the people who 'dont care' are on SS.

I agree with Sean, its not about original vinyl, its about original legeitimate format of release.

The only reason this has become a burning subject of debate in recent years is because of all the wannabe DJ's & promoters who want a piece of the action, but dont have the records on original format to actually do it. Prior to this, comparatively speaking it wasnt that much of an issue, as it was just accepted this was the case. The debate (argument) arises from said DJ's & promoters trying to justify themselves.

This debate can never be bpught to a satisfactory conclusion, because the returnees, wannabees vastly out way the people who still care enough to comment, you just get battered into submission by the weight of folk who are either ill informed/dont care or who will do anything to justify why they are doing it. Ignorance or having a vested interest does not make it right.

To answer the original question OVO means playing from the original format of release. Anything else is pure FAKE.

I've been involved in enough of the past debates to know there will be a massive response now saying no one cares etc, etc.....but I cant help myself, someone must continue to be the voice of reason & not give in to the wave of mediocrity that threatens to over whelm us.

You either do the right thing as a promoter or DJ or you dont. The paying punter can then decide where they want to spend their hard earnt.

One thing I have noticed tho, is that some DJ's who in the recent past would play pretty much anything to get a spot at thier mates do, have now started to play from original format.....which just goes to show, most when given the choice will play from original format, an interesting twist to the debate dont you think ?.

Best Russ

• Helpful 1
Social source share

No, not a piss take although I can see why you'd think so.

At Blackpool weekender last November the two giant screens projecting the records being played featured many Red & White motown demos during the Wheel session. Now, according to previous threads these records (valued in their hundreds) are not originals even though they are first releases in the UK. and wouldnt be played in a OVO purist venue.Just an example as perhaps too comercial for that type of venue anyway.

As a collector and occasional DJ I think LVO is a more sensible way. promoters know to some extent if a DJ has a box full of early issues LVO or a box full of mid seventies (companies jumping on the bandwagon) reissues. or a box full of boots.....

So the answer to the question, original vinyl is........the first ever release / issue of a record (worldwide) :yes:

C'mon we had discused this soooo many times that some regard original vinyl as the very first release of a track (some even demo only) and don't even play Lp only tracks (for whatever reason) but the most common outa boundaries for ovo are that local then national or international releases which have not been released to cater for the northern soul crowd especially and are more or less within a year of the first release are ok to play. So, there you have it !!! Within those boundaries it is more or less ok to call it original vinyl !!!! Btw most of the legal reeissues even up to today got most of the artists bugger all or just a few bob!!! If you want to support the artist go to a live show or buy a cd/lp/ or a reeissue from reputable record companies/dealers!!! So, as within the art world ...to support the artist/ or relatives you would buy a print of an expensive painting (if the copy rights are still in full/ or in part with the artist) but to enjoy the real deal you would have to go to a museum :hatsoff2:

Edited by viphitman
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Interesting point Kegsy...so really in respect to those often unsung artists we should have all opted for ligit uk re issues back then

least they may have got some of their just deserts then....well i got loads of disco demand stuff i bought new so i done my bit :thumbsup:

Do you think that the people behind the said re issues had the best interests of the artists at the for front of thier mind when they did them, or do you think they were done purely to cash in on a demand so they could earn a wedge ?.

Best Russ

• Helpful 1
Social source share

well I'll risk getting my head blown off

at our Soul Nights @ Bridgwater on 13 October we had the issue of the sad passing of Frank Wilson to deal with ; just wouldn't be right to say nothing.

the request was, natch, and from a couple of sources, to play DILY. And somebody offered a 1970's tmg demo as something we could play for Frank to remember his fantastic contribution to our lives.

to me [as promoter of S.N.@ B.], and taking money off people who travel from near and far to come to an ' OVO ' night, it's a no-brainer. Can't be played.

Released in [ 1972 ? ] whereas the original is from [ 1966 ? ]. Can't be OVO.

The point of this posting is to air my view that occasionally people get mixed up with the boot v OVO debate [ surely dead simples ? ], whereas the more subtle issues are usually around re-release v OVO.

Anyway, all the above is off course, I.M.H.O. And I don't mind if someone wants to give me a kicking if the dates above are wrong. I guessed at them; I'm cooking dinner and didn't go and check them.

If anyone is interested, and still reading without nodding off, the tribute record to Frank was ' Stoned Love ', [ long winded spoken intro ], played as the ender, which is a bit of a S.N.@ .B guilty secret / fave.

pete

All this means that you can no longer play any Northern on British labels from the 60's unless it was recorded here by a UK artist and got it's first issue here and not the States. Because using your rules, your Ray Pollard's etc are all reissues.

Social source share

Do you think that the people behind the said re issues had the best interests of the artists at the for front of thier mind when they did them, or do you think they were done purely to cash in on a demand so they could earn a wedge ?.

Best Russ

The latter - like all record companies. They aren't charities.

Social source share

Best Russ

Im sure if they were proper business people they were in it to make a profit (nothing wrong in that) but if it was done legitimatley and above board then surely said artists would have got something for it down the line, unless we are saying that pye and the like were total charlatans, never been in the record industry myself so wouldnt know , but at least this way they stood a chance with a illegal boot leg zero chance, plus any royalties they may of recieved from the us release im sure would have long gone if we are to believe the stories

Edited by GOGOPRO
Social source share

Im sure if they were proper business people they were in it to make a profit (nothing wrong in that) but if it was done legitimatley and above board then surely said artists would have got something for it down the line, unless we are saying that pye and the like were total charlatans, never been in the record industry myself so wouldnt know , but at least this way they stood a chance with a illegal boot leg zero chance

Did the artists have contracts with record companies that included royalties ?

Some of the skullduggery that went on back then would suggest not, they may have

just got a one time payment.So the royalty issue is irrelevent anyway.

Kegsy

Edited by Kegsy
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I think maybe he was inferring that that was the ONLY way to get any money to the artist, not a massive amount, but a royalty.

Yes, I think your right Pete, Im just saying that 'we' want the artists to get the royalties, the record companies who were re issuing due to demand back then, whilst hopefully all the legalities were dealt with correctly, didnt care about the artists pur-se', it was a commercial product.

Russ

Social source share

ok then so lets get this right ...what is being advocated is the artist that sang the tune is getting nothing, just one off payment then record companies cashing in ? and this bothers some people today , well here is a suggestion stop spending thousands of pounds on ovo. buy a reissue(ligit off course) cos you really like the record ??... so your "right on" and got some credentials left, then send the change from your grand to the artist or the family if they are no longer with us.

Edited by GOGOPRO
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

perhaps instead of using OVO to advertise your policy on your flyer it should be spun the opposite way round and have non OVO (for want of a better way of saying it) events stating OFY (only fooling yourself)

Social source share

People say that, on here? Really? If they do, I absolutely despair at their ignorance.

OVO is nothing more than an original release of a track - no matter what country it came out in - as opposed to reissues of it. Why is that so difficult to understand and why do people need to complicate something so simple?

:rofl: ha ha but really these reissues are in lots of cases just later represses very often from the same pressing plate just re labled.... so they are authentic....sorry but its reality not terminology im talking about :P

Social source share

I must say that, to me, LVO or LFO is much clearer and easier to understand than OVO. :yes: . I also think that explaining the LVO to chinstrokers and nitpickers would be much easier. We have previously advertised as OVO where in reality I think we are LFO's - I understand anyway :D :D :D I think....

Jim

• Helpful 2
Social source share

ok then so lets get this right ...what is being advocated is the artist that sang the tune is getting nothing, just one off payment then record companies cashing in ? and this bothers some people today , well here is a suggestion stop spending thousands of pounds on ovo. buy a reissue(ligit off course) so you got some credentials then send the change from your grand to the artist or the family if they are no longer with us.

I didnt say that. And what I spend on records has nothing to do with you, all you need to know is that whether Im spending 50p or £1k it will be the original format of release. You can spend your money on what you want, it has nothing to do with me until you spin a reissue or bootleg at a venue that Im attending, then I would feel cheated.

Best Russ

Russ

Social source share

:rofl: ha ha but really these reissues are in lots of cases just later represses very often from the same pressing plate just re labled.... so they are authentic....sorry but its reality not terminology im talking about :P

There we go, justification...desperation more like :P . If you aint DJing with your Disco Demands then there is no issue & hopefully the artists may have had some small financial reward also which Im all for.

Best Russ

Social source share

Hmm, so if the Post Office pressed up some Penny Blacks tomorrow using the original plates (should they still exist), would you consider them to be authentic?

Social source share

I didnt say that. And what I spend on records has nothing to do with you, all you need to know is that whether Im spending 50p or £1k it will be the original format of release. You can spend your money on what you want, it has nothing to do with me until you spin a reissue or bootleg at a venue that Im attending, then I would feel cheated.

Best Russ

Russ

Whoa there boy, wasnt aimed personally at you was an answer to the general point being made ....spend what you like on what you like . I posed the question to some one else. What is your motivation for buying ovo? thats all and really as yet havent had an answer...incidentley i buy ovo in most cases because the sound quality is superior and i like listening to it not cos i want to dj with it. I do proffessional djing at non Northern Soul events so certainly not desperate to dj at a northern soul night ...plenty of people around to take care of that

Best Jem

Social source share

All this means that you can no longer play any Northern on British labels from the 60's unless it was recorded here by a UK artist and got it's first issue here and not the States. Because using your rules, your Ray Pollard's etc are all reissues.

As there still seems to be confusion on what is Ovo I will re-post something I posted months ago.

The Ministry of (Soul) Sounds has recently become aware of a rather disturbing dispute that has broken out, all over the country, regarding the playing or non playing of tunes from their original vinyl format.

This dispute seems to have stemmed from an event held, at a famous venue, in a northern seaside town, but has spread at an alarming rate across the country and the rest of the world via the Internet.

A moderator for one of the sites involved has said and I quote "Bloody hell, five pages over this? Almost all who care about format know what you get with most DJ's and venues these days. Those that don't couldn't care less if vinyl, cd or mp3."

We at the Ministry feel, that this rather concerning outbreak of hysteria, cannot be allowed to go unchecked. We have therefore formed a select committee (OVOCOM) to investigate the matter.

After an emergency (OVOCOM) meeting on Friday Feb. 24th the following actions have been proposed.

1. Since most Original Vinyl comes from the U.S., we intend to petition the treasury for funding of £10million. This will be used to set up offices in the U.S., preferred locations are Beverley Hills and Las Vegas. These offices will be primarily used to verify what Original Vinyl actually is. They will operate under the title Original Vinyl Only Research Institute (OVORI), not to be confused with OVARY where many OVO fanatics believe dissenters should have stayed.

2. In order that The Ministry can properly police this issue we will need to recruit and train the necessary personnel. Therefore we will petition for further funding of £50million for a brand new purpose built complex which will be known as O-VOT-TOP (Original Vinyl Technical Training Opportunities Program).Once properly trained the personnel will then attend venues and issue Original Vinyl Only Certificates Of Proficiency (OVOCOP).

3. We will also be liaising with equipment suppliers, turntables Amps etc.to ascertain whether any technical measures can be used to verify OVO policies. A new subcommittee will be formed for these consultations. This subcommittee will be called Original Vinyl Only General Electrical Equipment (OVOGEEQ).

Until we can bring all these new resources on stream we would like to ask all citizens, who may be tempted to engage in this fracas, to remain calm at all times.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

ok then so lets get this right ...what is being advocated is the artist that sang the tune is getting nothing, just one off payment then record companies cashing in ? and this bothers some people today , well here is a suggestion stop spending thousands of pounds on ovo. buy a reissue(ligit off course) cos you really like the record ??... so your "right on" and got some credentials left, then send the change from your grand to the artist or the family if they are no longer with us.

i made a post about artists getting one off payments....but i never said this was the reason why i personally and many like me play original vinyl....as has been said MANY times...the main reason for playing ovo is to stop every tom dick and harry playing bad copied boots of tomangos etc or even cheap legit reissues of tracks other djs have the originals of....to make their own playlists of underplayed quality tunes....

Social source share

Jesus the singer often got bugger all then and even now with reissues !!!! Do ya bloody home work on publishing and royalites within the music industry and stop digging at people who buy or play or at least respect original vinyl !!!!

as I have already mentioned above... What I find also interresting is that the european soul scene as well as the rnb and reggae scene is slowly getting more & more into the ovo spirit even at a pub level!!! People also treating ovo venues, dj's & collectors with respect not with contempt & constand ridicules like in Britain!!! Right now the uk scene is more and more deluted by a jolly good knee up and piss up soul don't give a flying monkey night out play what I want anything goes and do as I say....

Edited by viphitman
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Whoa there boy, wasnt aimed personally at you was an answer to the general point being made ....spend what you like on what you like . I posed the question to some one else. What is your motivation for buying ovo? thats all and really as yet havent had an answer...incidentley i buy ovo in most cases because the sound quality is superior and i like listening to it not cos i want to dj with it. I do proffessional djing at non Northern Soul events so certainly not desperate to dj at a northern soul night ...plenty of people around to take care of that

Best Jem

I never said you were desperate to DJ. I class myself as a collector BTW who occasionally gets the opportunity to share my collection thru DJing, Im not really sure what you mean when you say motivation for buying OVO, I personally would just never want to buy anything other than an original. Anything else wouldnt really come into it.

Best Russ

Social source share

i made a post about artists getting one off payments....but i never said this was the reason why i personally and many like me play original vinyl....as has been said MANY times...the main reason for playing ovo is to stop every tom dick and harry playing bad copied boots of tomangos etc or even cheap legit reissues of tracks other djs have the originals of....to make their own playlists of underplayed quality tunes....

Again wasnt aimed at you. I just find it interesting that a point was made concerning artists getting paid/ not getting paid and buy people extolling the virtues of buying ovo may be linked as a mark of respect . When in fact it transpires that they may have recieved royalties from uk reissues in the 70s ....suppose its just a bit ironic....you play ovo for the reasons you stated ...fair play

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Jesus the singer often got bugger all then and even now with reissues !!!! Do ya bloody home work on publishing and royalites within the music industry and stop digging at people who buy or play or at least respect original vinyl !!!!

as I have already mentioned above... What I find also interresting is that the european soul scene as well as the rnb and reggae scene is slowly getting more & more into the ovo spirit even at a pub level!!! People also treating ovo venues, dj's & collectors with respect not with contempt & constand ridicules like in Britain!!! Right now the uk scene is more and more deluted by a jolly good knee up and piss up soul don't give a flying monkey night out play what I want anything goes and do as I say....

Im not having a DIG at anyone, just asking questions thats what forums are for, I Have a few thousand original soul records myself and know what motivates me to own them was just enquiring what others thought. Why would i know anything about record publishing companies I just buy records someone else raised the point that artists were not getting paid or being paid for uk re issues, I mereley commented on it,

Social source share

You forgot to mention the authorities who will police this! "The Soul Police"

Singled

Out

Uniform

Lineage

Presenting

Original

Listening

In

Credible

Entities

This authority will investigate and report non compliance as advocated by OVORI :yes:

Hope it ain't the South Yorkshire Soul Police,

i've already noticed some edited posts :ohmy::D

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Most of you are 20 or 30 years younger than most of us.

That's why we like a drink and a good time. We're old, and when you're old you tend to stop caring about matrix numbers and concentrate on spending the short time you have left enjoying yourself.

I always enjoy myself, quite partial to Matrix numbers & Im old :g: ?. Nearly f^ckin killed me dancin to John Brownes set on Saturday night, but I was enjoying myself, I was also showing appreciation for a fantastic set of classy originals well put together....I also wooped, hollered n clapped....wasnt drinkin either........... just realised......I was enjoying myself & dancing to a set of mostly underplayed classy originals & I wasnt drinking.....apparently that doesnt happen in the UK any more :lol:

Russ

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I enjoy myself, quite partial to Matrix numbers & Im old :g: ?.

Russ

I'm attempting to say that what was once important is not now as important as it was. Every week we log on here and someone we know or one of us knows, has passed away.

It just makes me think, that's all.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Well thats put a right damper on a night out, can that be used as justification to play bootlegs :g:. No disrespect intended.

I have had plenty of responsibilities all of my adult life, I have managed hopefully to balance those with my love of Rare Soul....& I aint stoppin any time soon.

Best Russ

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Well thats put a right damper on a night out, can that be used as justification to play bootlegs :g:. No disrespect intended.

Jesus Russ, playing bootlegs is not a hanging offence. It's not about justifying anything, it's about enjoying yourself before it's too late, people actually want to do this without restrictions being put on them by label and matrix spotters. There is nothing wrong with playing original vinyl, quite the opposite, but just don't expect people who are not interested in it* (*I am interested in it) to be sympathetic with what you yourself want from the Northern scene. Litmus test: advertise an OVO Rarities night at Kings Hall, then the following like do an oldies allnighter at the same venue. The latter will pull in 5 times more than the former. It may not seem right, but thats the way things are and they are not going to change now.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Most of you are 20 or 30 years younger than most of us.

That's why we like a drink and a good time. We're old, and when you're old you tend to stop caring about matrix numbers and concentrate on spending the short time you have left enjoying yourself.

Well, some are not :ohmy: 20 - 30 years younger but some are even 40 years younger but anyway.... I admire people who stick to their guns and it was as always a pleasure to meet new people and friends from the UK (some are even 64+) at the Hamburg Soul Weekender who do respect and also live the whole ovo, rare soul collecting, dancing all-night and also having the odd tipple and maybe a few more!!!!!!! :hatsoff2:

Edited by viphitman
Social source share

Im not suggesting anything, do all the DJs at Kings Hall play from originals ?

Russ

I spoke with a promoter at a different but large venue about this very topic having seen boots and 70's re-issues being played. His answer was quite matter of fact really when he said "we don't advertise as an OVO event".

Difficult to argue with that really despite my thoughts that it was. We live and learn but not been since. I suppose what I'm saying is that if you want OVO at a venue you need to seek it out carefully. If you couldn't care less then don't research .... simples.

:shhh: :shhh:

Jim

• Helpful 2
Social source share

this is one of the reasons i keep "the scene" at arms length nowardays, still attend soul nights half a dozen times a year and usually get in a couple of all nighters, but really why do people take it so serious? soul music has been a lifetime passion for me and much as i appreciate and treasure an item on original vinyl, dont some of the early pressings have some kind of provenance also, ?some of these are over 40 years old now, there seems to be a misplaced morality regarding recording rights and payments to artists that may have held some validity in the seventies but now, come on that ship has sailed , i would say do what the f**k you want, trying to fit yourself to the whims of the northern soul self proclaimed in crowd is not an endeavour a grown man should be undertaking.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

this is one of the reasons i keep "the scene" at arms length nowardays, still attend soul nights half a dozen times a year and usually get in a couple of all nighters, but really why do people take it so serious? soul music has been a lifetime passion for me and much as i appreciate and treasure an item on original vinyl, dont some of the early pressings have some kind of provenance also, ?some of these are over 40 years old now, there seems to be a misplaced morality regarding recording rights and payments to artists that may have held some validity in the seventies but now, come on that ship has sailed , i would say do what the f**k you want, trying to fit yourself to the whims of the northern soul self proclaimed in crowd is not an endeavour a grown man should be undertaking.

Just thinking of what you are saying mate - those pressings have more all nighter/soulie/soul scene provenance than any ov you'll buy from across the pond - true - this scene and many a Soul boy have used these little bad boys as a vinyl stepping stone to improve themselves.

Fly on the wall scenario - them pressings have been in that many boxes/nighters/hands that they deserve to be given their due.

:wink:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just thinking of what you are saying mate - those pressings have more all nighter/soulie/soul scene provenance than any ov you'll buy from across the pond - true - this scene and many a Soul boy have used these little bad boys as a vinyl stepping stone to improve themselves.

Fly on the wall scenario - them pressings have been in that many boxes/nighters/hands that they deserve to be given their due.

:wink:

Carry your pressings with pride.

Social source share