Original Vinyl What Is It ?

Dave West

Pete et al,

Just to be clear, wasn't seeking your approval or judgement or anything, so if you enjoy splurging it all out, splurge on.

I'm just telling you our approach at S.N.@ B. For the record ; and to try and enlighten the original posters question, of one particular view.

That's what we've done for 12 years and that's what out punters appear to appreciate.

Also, in the back of my mind, to be honest, was bringing Kenny Burrell and Rhona down here twice to play the wonderful original, so, yes, maybe, I'm a bit precious about ever playing anything else.

But the thread was about 'what is original vinyl ', not what is a proper tribute to Frank.

So other promoters views are relevant ?

If you've got a policy, you stick to it and don't start bending it when you feel like it. Otherwise it's not a principle, it's just doing what you feel like doing in the circumstances . Or doing what whoever shouts loudest asks you to do?

pete

Kenny no longer owns the original, It was sold on jm's action for @ £26K. Sorry if this has already been mentioned.

Edited by Gogs
Social source share

Most of you are 20 or 30 years younger than most of us.

That's why we like a drink and a good time. We're old, and when you're old you tend to stop caring about matrix numbers and concentrate on spending the short time you have left enjoying yourself.

And the rest (myself included) just wish that we were 30 years younger :D

Social source share

OK i am going to put myself up for ridicule here,( because i don't know the answer). Lynn Randell "Stranger in my arms" was issued on Aus CBS BUT was also released on US Epic labell. The us copy demands more money But Which copy can be played at an ovo night?. I'm happy playing my Aus original.

Social source share

I spoke with a promoter at a different but large venue about this very topic having seen boots and 70's re-issues being played. His answer was quite matter of fact really when he said "we don't advertise as an OVO event".

Difficult to argue with that really despite my thoughts that it was. We live and learn but not been since. I suppose what I'm saying is that if you want OVO at a venue you need to seek it out carefully. If you couldn't care less then don't research .... simples.

:shhh: :shhh:

Jim

I must say i'm shocked but not surprised, should I be bothered?

well looking at the big name line up, couldn't give a toss :P

Social source share

OK i am going to put myself up for ridicule here,( because i don't know the answer). Lynn Randell "Stranger in my arms" was issued on Aus CBS BUT was also released on US Epic labell. The us copy demands more money But Which copy can be played at an ovo night?. I'm happy playing my Aus original.

both fine to play in my book...

Social source share

That'sa really tricky one because as everyone knows, she was an Aussie girl...but that record was recorded in the USA and released on Epic before being issued on CBS, and not the other way round like a lot of people think. Play either.

Social source share

Doesn't that just show the problems with understanding OVO. Under LVO or LFO that issue wouldn't arise and it would be appropriate to play either.

Jim

Social source share

Doesn't that just show the problems with understanding OVO. Under LVO or LFO that issue wouldn't arise and it would be appropriate to play either.

Jim

Totally agree Jim, I have asked the same question many times and never got a consistent answer about what is OVO. Another example is Wilson Picket "Let me Be Your Boy" in order of release (I think)

1st Correctone

2nd CUB

3rd Verve

4th UK MGM

So can I play my R&W MGM Demo?

If OVO is strcitly followed should then first OVO is normally a DEMO/PROMO copy, therefore should ALL OVO nights should be DEMO's only? and the "rare" stock copies not allowed to be played?

I think LVO/LFO is the correct sensible approach and it reflects the true spirit of the music scene I have loved for 40 + years now. I think we should enjoy the music from whatever LVO/LFO it is played on.

Edited by jim g
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Totally agree Jim, I have asked the same question many times and never got a consistent answer about what is OVO. Another example is Wilson Picket "Let me Be Your Boy" in order of release (I think)

1st Correctone

2nd CUB

3rd Verve

4th UK Parlaphone

So can I play my R&W Parlaphone Demo?

If OVO is strcitly followed should then first OVO is normally a DEMO/PROMO copy, therefore should ALL OVO nights should be DEMO's only? and the "rare" stock copies not allowed to be played?

I think LVO/LFO is the correct sensible approach and it reflects the true spirit of the music scene I have loved for 40 + years now. I think we should enjoy the music from whatever LVO/LFO it is played on.

That must be well rare on UK Parlophone :D

Social source share

1st Correctone

2nd CUB

3rd Verve

4th UK MGM

So can I play my R&W MGM Demo?

FFS they are all original!

Some of you lot on here need to get a grip, how long you been collecting?

• Helpful 3
Social source share

FFS they are all original!

I know they are!!

but some answer different to others hence my question.... Anyway, enough is enough for me, I agree with you Chalky.

The postman has arrived with some new records, time for me to justify them to our lass!

Social source share

I know they are!!

but some answer different to others hence my question.... Anyway, enough is enough for me, I agree with you Chalky.

The postman has arrived with some new records, time for me to justify them to our lass!

I'm not having a dig at you personally.

If someone is answering your question differently then they are full of sh*t or taking the p*ss.

Its like saying to someone they can't play their national release of Al Williams on Palmer they paid over a grand for.

Social source share

I'm not having a dig at you personally.

If someone is answering your question differently then they are full of sh*t or taking the p*ss.

Its like saying to someone they can't play their national release of Al Williams on Palmer they paid over a grand for.

I fully agree and I didn't take it personally :)

Social source share

if ever there was a candidate for 'wind 'em up and watch 'em go' thread of the year, this has to be it!

Perhaps the OVO people should define it on there flyers maybe like this

P Playing

O only

M music

P produced

O originally in

U united

S states

Kegsy

Social source share

Forget the ‘What’s original, what’s not’ bit for a moment because I think we all agree, if we study the ‘nitty gritty’ of that, it becomes a mine field!

I think what Jem is trying to get an honest answer to, is why do people ‘insist’on the ‘Original Vinyl Only’ thing? - I can only speak for myself, so here goes…..

We’re basically talking about the ‘purest’ aspect of the scene and the ‘need’ to play the most ‘purest’ format of a particular sound - There’s absolutely nothing wrong in having this obsession, it’s a passion, and I am ‘guilty as charged your honour!’ - I want the original, most purest format, for the same reasons an art collector wants original paintings or an antique dealer wants original pieces, whatever that reason may be! — I can’t put it into any other words really, except that I get joy out of it — some sort of magic I guess!

The quality of sound is also part of it….. But, who am I trying to kid? - If the ‘original’ was a worse recording than the pressing….guess which one I would pay more for?...Correct! - I am that sad :D — Come on guyz, we have to laugh at ourselves!

Although Russ may have come across to some on this thread as a bit angry, I can vouch for him, that he buys his records with the same thinking as me - Of course, if someone enjoys a record I play, that gives me a buzz - but that is because I have ‘shared the joy’ of the sound and the ‘Magic’ of that particular ‘piece’ (Record)

What I detest and always have done, is when people go on and on about it so much - it just makes them look stupid as they are focussing on it far too much, almost as if they are desperate to prove themselves or something - As far as I’m concerned, it’s not an issue - I know what I play and that’s all that matters to me.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Forget the ‘What’s original, what’s not’ bit for a moment because I think we all agree, if we study the ‘nitty gritty’ of that, it becomes a mine field!

I think what Jem is trying to get an honest answer to, is why do people ‘insist’on the ‘Original Vinyl Only’ thing? - I can only speak for myself, so here goes…..

We’re basically talking about the ‘purest’ aspect of the scene and the ‘need’ to play the most ‘purest’ format of a particular sound - There’s absolutely nothing wrong in having this obsession, it’s a passion, and I am ‘guilty as charged your honour!’ - I want the original, most purest format, for the same reasons an art collector wants original paintings or an antique dealer wants original pieces, whatever that reason may be! — I can’t put it into any other words really, except that I get joy out of it — some sort of magic I guess!

The quality of sound is also part of it….. But, who am I trying to kid? - If the ‘original’ was a worse recording than the pressing….guess which one I would pay more for?...Correct! - I am that sad :D — Come on guyz, we have to laugh at ourselves!

Although Russ may have come across to some on this thread as a bit angry, I can vouch for him, that he buys his records with the same thinking as me - Of course, if someone enjoys a record I play, that gives me a buzz - but that is because I have ‘shared the joy’ of the sound and the ‘Magic’ of that particular ‘piece’ (Record)

What I detest and always have done, is when people go on and on about it so much - it just makes them look stupid as they are focussing on it far too much, almost as if they are desperate to prove themselves or something - As far as I’m concerned, it’s not an issue - I know what I play and that’s all that matters to me.

All the best,

Well Len to you and all the other purists if thats the case then you should be seeking out the master tapes and playing them out :P not sure how you would plug them into the amp etc though :lol: sorry mate see ya later

Social source share

Then by the rules oao (original argument only) you are not allowed to use it Len. :wink:

Damn, you're right! :D

But as I'm now on here....None of the D.J's I follow mention 'O.V.O' (I can't believe I've just typed that again - Cringe!)...and none of the venues I support need to state 'O.V.O' (Not again!) I am just 'drawn' to what I like and what I get my enjoyment from and that is 'O.V.O' (Not again!) :D

All the best,

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Purely coincidentley just got this through the post this morning but on uk chess 8102. reason being dug my us original cadet styrene copy out the other day.... hadnt played it for ages..reminded me that i was never happy with the sound quality ...uk copy good quality vinyl sounds perfect gives a whole new pleasure to playing it. This to me is what owning records is about getting the best possible recording you can and a big reason that i prefer owning originals......But going by the rules some suggest the uk copy could be classed as a re issue?

Anyway for those who might visit our venue where i could play it please dont walk out in disgust if you here it thinkling its a re issue.. cos i shall be playing the us cadet copy and saving the chess one for the ultimate sound experience at home

:P

Social source share

Well Len to you and all the other purists if thats the case then you should be seeking out the master tapes and playing them out :P not sure how you would plug them into the amp etc though :lol: sorry mate see ya later

Actually, I would be more purest than that - If it was at all possible, I would have all the singers sing live - Bit complicated to D.J though and I'd need more room behind the decks.....

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Purely coincidentley just got this through the post this morning but on uk chess 8102. reason being dug my us original cadet styrene copy out the other day.... hadnt played it for ages..reminded me that i was never happy with the sound quality ...uk copy good quality vinyl sounds perfect gives a whole new pleasure to playing it. This to me is what owning records is about getting the best possible recording you can and a big reason that i prefer owning originals......But going by the rules some suggest the uk copy could be classed as a re issue?

Anyway for those who might visit our venue where i could play it please dont walk out in disgust if you here it thinkling its a re issue.. cos i shall be playing the us cadet copy and saving the chess one for the ultimate sound experience at home

:P

Actually 'Jemster' niether is the original format, because the original format is an L.P....So folks, when Jem plays this PLEASE walk out in discust - straight into 'Len's Den' where it will be 'O.V.O' (Damn, I've said it again!)....(Nov 17th)

All the best,

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 2
Social source share