7" Lp's

Roburt

There have been a couple of threads on here where US 7" jukebox mini LP's (7" size) have been mentioned recently.

Coz of that I decided to look more into the activities of a few companies who put these out; one of these being Baltimore based One-Stop outfit Redisco.

Redisco were certainly operating as a successful One Stop as far back as 1958 .....

post-22122-0-20925800-1350895063_thumb.j

Social source share

• Replies 50
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

They got into the Mini LP business in the mid 60's and had quite a few titles available by 1968.

Unlike many other companies that collaborated with big record labels, Redisco started their own label (Bomar) and released their 7" LP's under their own logo rather than under the original label's name.

post-22122-0-65540200-1350895333_thumb.j

Social source share

A bit of a side issue now .........

.... I know Bucky Buchman of Redisco & the Bomar label was close friends with the guys that ran the Pittsburgh based One-Stops .....

So could his Bomar label have any links at all with the Pittsburgh based Bo-Mar label that put out Johnny Gilliam's 45 in 1965 (Bucky perhaps taking the label name from the Pittsburgh outfit) .....

post-22122-0-97259400-1350896622_thumb.j

Social source share

By 1971, an American based in the UK who ran a jukebox business had started importing US 7" LP's to place on his machines based in England ....

... I wonder why then so few used to seem to turn up here then (I'd think he would have fetched in mini LP's by decent artists and not all the MOR crap that so many US companies had put on the format in the early to mid 60's) ...

post-22122-0-11280700-1350897927_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

The US never bought into the EP concept (always big in the UK, Europe & Sth America) ....

the vast majority of the 4 track 7" LP's they put out were edited LP's or jukebox items to promote various artists LP's.

I have a few various artist 7" US LP's that obviously weren't just being used to promote a single LP but they were still called mini or little LP's in the US ....

By 1969, Baltimore's Bomar label had expanded into 45 releases itself ..........

post-22122-0-54227200-1350899211.jpg

Social source share

The US never bought into the EP concept (always big in the UK, Europe & Sth America) ....

the vast majority of the 4 track 7" LP's they put out were edited LP's or jukebox items to promote various artists LP's.

I have a few various artist 7" US LP's that obviously weren't just being used to promote a single LP but they were still called mini or little LP's in the US ....

By 1969, Baltimore's Bomar label had expanded into 45 releases itself ..........

So it's an American versus Europe terminology thing then? We called them EPs, they called them Mini LPs?

Social source share

Not being technically minded, out of interest, would cramming more tracks into the 7 inch format affect the sound quality in any way?

Roger

Yes, it would. But I think it helps if the speed is reduced from 45rpm to 33.1/3rpm. Having said that, there will always be less space in which the grooves can move on a 7" record if you're cramming anywhere between 2 and 4 tracks per side, which will affect fidelity.

Social source share

Not being technically minded, out of interest, would cramming more tracks into the 7 inch format affect the sound quality in any way?

Roger

Roger, as already stated coz they were 33rpm, you could easily fit 2 x 1960's length tracks on one side of a 7" disc.

In lots of South American countries (Brazil being the main one), just about all 7" records were 33 rpm. Coz of that a 60's US 45 track when released in Brazil on 7" only used a tiny section of the vinyl with the run-out section takin up well over 50% of the grooved area.

So, in Brazil, they tended to put out loads more EP's, thuss the vinyl area was used more effectively.

Coz of that, there are loads of 60's & 70's LP tracks that only appear on 7" releases in Brazil.

Social source share

Roger, as already stated coz they were 33rpm, you could easily fit 2 x 1960's length tracks on one side of a 7" disc.

AND IN THE UK, WE WERE DOING THAT WITH 45rpm EPs. SOMETIMES WITH AS MANY AS 3 TRACKS PER SIDE. BUT FIDELITY WAS POOR

In lots of South American countries (Brazil being the main one), just about all 7" records were 33 rpm. Coz of that a 60's US 45 track when released in Brazil on 7" only used a tiny section of the vinyl with the run-out section takin up well over 50% of the grooved area.

I WONDER HOW 7" SINGLES AT 33.1/3rd WOULD HAVE HAVE SOUNDED WITH JUST ONE TRACK PER SIDE, WITH ALL THAT SPACE TO FIT NICE WIDE WAVY GROOVES?

So, in Brazil, they tended to put out loads more EP's, thuss the vinyl area was used more effectively.

Coz of that, there are loads of 60's & 70's LP tracks that only appear on 7" releases in Brazil.

Social source share

Motown still seemed to be putting out mini LP's well into the 70's .....

... anyone know when their last 7" jukebox mini LP was released (by the date of issue of the 12" album version it was lifted from) ??

The last Mini LP from the Motown company was Diana Ross - Everything Is Everything to promote the full album which was issued in the US on Motown 724 in October 1970. The ones issued after this actually were/are regarded as EPs as far as I know.

There are two really distinct types of Motown Mini LP.

1. The ones that were issued in the 60s, made from good quality cardboard and were specifically manufactured for jukebox use, hence they all have Jukebox inserts and title strips as well . I think, (without digging through my notes), that these were manufactured in Ohio somewhere if my memory serves me correctly?* I think there are 32 of these. At least the first one: Great March To Freedom and the final one : Voices Of The Tabernacle have no picture sleeve. Apart from these two they were all issued on a mini label of the LP they were culled from and came with a fantastic full color exact replicas of the albums too. But no inner sleeves that Motown's albums of that era are famous for were issued with them to my knowledge. (Shame).

2. The ones that were issued in paper sleeves for the 70s, (of which there are only 4), have none (to my knowledge at least), of the jukebox inserts or title strips.These later ones were manufactured by Little LPs Unlimited a company in Northfield, Illinois.

* I'm not 100% sure though.

I need a couple to complete if anyone can help?

Jr Walker - Shotgun

Martha and The Vandellas - Watchout

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

I believe that they usually featured around 6 tracks & that the covers were mini replicas of the full 12" album covers.

So if the 12" album featured a full track listing on its front cover, the mini LP version also did.

If you liked a track listed on the cover & it wasn't actually one of the 6 picked out from the full album track compliment (around 10 in all), it must have been very frustrating if you had obtained a copy of the 7" version.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

I believe that they usually featured around 6 tracks & that the covers were mini replicas of the full 12" album covers.

So if the 12" album featured a full track listing on its front cover, the mini LP version also did.

If you liked a track listed on the cover & it wasn't actually one of the 6 picked out from the full album track compliment (around 10 in all), it must have been very frustrating if you had obtained a copy of the 7" version.

And in addition the ones I have - mainly Jazz - have sheets of miniature LP covers included for display purposes plus multiple Jukebox strips - I think they would frame up nice

Social source share

Steve,

Nice Martha and The Vandellas. If you ever wanna shift it give me a knock Mate.

Regards,

Dave

Dave, you'd be first for it mate, if I give up looking for those "little lp's" Seems so hard these days to see 'em complete with strips and little pic's when they turn up? though maybe I've not been looking a lot of late!

atb

steve

Social source share

these are the ones I know of

Supremes - Where Did Our Love Go, A Bit Of Liverpool, More Hits, I Hear A Symphony, A Go-Go, Sing H-D-H

Diana Ross - Everything Is Everything

Supremes & Four Tops - Magnificent Seven

Four Tops - On Top

Temptations - Temptin' Temptations, Gettin' Ready, Greatest Hits

Miracles - Going To A Go-Go, Greatest Hits From The Beginning

Marvin Gaye - Moods Of Marvin Gaye, Greatest Hits

Martha & The Vandellas - Watchout, Greatest Hits

Marvelettes - Marvelettes (Pink Album), Greatest Hits

Jr. Walker & The All Stars - Shotgun, Road Runner, Soul Session

Stevie Wonder - Down To Earth

Choker Campbell - Hits Of The 60s

Mary Wells - Greatest Hits

Various - Collection Of Original Big Hits Vols 5 & 6

Billy Eckstine - Prime Of My Life

Jackson 5 - Third Album

Abbey Tavern Singers - We're Off To Dublin In The Green

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

quote name='Dave Moore' timestamp='1350915574' post='1813104'

The last Mini LP from the Motown company was Diana Ross - Everything Is Everything to promote the full album which was issued in the US on Motown 724 in October 1970. The ones issued after this actually were/are regarded as EPs as far as I know.

There are two really distinct types of Motown Mini LP.

1. The ones that were issued in the 60s, made from good quality cardboard and were specifically manufactured for jukebox use, hence they all have Jukebox inserts and title strips as well . I think, (without digging through my notes), that these were manufactured in Ohio somewhere if my memory serves me correctly?* I think there are 32 of these. At least the first one: Great March To Freedom and the final one : Voices Of The Tabernacle have no picture sleeve. Apart from these two they were all issued on a mini label of the LP they were culled from and came with a fantastic full color exact replicas of the albums too. But no inner sleeves that Motown's albums of that era are famous for were issued with them to my knowledge. (Shame).

2. The ones that were issued in paper sleeves for the 70s, (of which there are only 4), have none (to my knowledge at least), of the jukebox inserts or title strips.These later ones were manufactured by Little LPs Unlimited a company in Northfield, Illinois.

* I'm not 100% sure though.

I need a couple to complete if anyone can help?

Jr Walker - Shotgun

Martha and The Vandellas - Watchout

Regards dave

i never seen the m&v mini LP but as you know im collecting all the motown stuff. they also included little pics of the albums and titles pics for thier insertion into the juqueboxes/dukebox

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

quote name='Edge' timestamp='1350992322' post='1813509'

Love those Mini Lp's!

here's a few scans,

post-2142-0-87721900-1350991568_thumb.jp

post-2142-0-46739300-1350991610_thumb.jp post-2142-0-27658100-1350991637_thumb.jp

post-2142-0-48884400-1350991671_thumb.jp post-2142-0-78071600-1350991710_thumb.jp

post-2142-0-32905600-1350991875_thumb.jp

post-2142-0-07918900-1350991917_thumb.jp post-2142-0-34277100-1350991944_thumb.jp

post-2142-0-50880600-1350991973_thumb.jp post-2142-0-10872000-1350992005_thumb.jp

post-2142-0-92424500-1350992105_thumb.jp

post-2142-0-87283800-1350992142_thumb.jp post-2142-0-65131900-1350992178_thumb.jp

post-2142-0-38474100-1350992214_thumb.jp post-2142-0-07407200-1350992250_thumb.jp

Steve

i had a supremes delivered, the seller thought he was doing me a favour and included a cd of the shirrelles free. the record was craked right along where the cd was. didnt have the heart to give bad feedback

Social source share

So it's an American versus Europe terminology thing then? We called them EPs, they called them Mini LPs?

As an American, if you asked me what an EP was, I would say a 12" that only has 2 tracks per side...

Social source share

Seems that some manufacturers were still making / pushing mini LP's as late as 1973 ......

.... Dave, do you know much about this outfit ??

Same as Morris Ballen's set up maybe?

There was a Disc Makers in Philly right up to the late 90s. Will see if the adresses match.

Hey....give 'em a ring! :thumbup:

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert