Motown Collection On Display At Utrecht Record Fair

I'd heard some months back that at the next Utrecht Record Fair there was to be a display of what is being described as the entire catalogue of Motown LPs. Not yet found a convincing description of what that means exactly, but it certainly sounds impressive and will definitely make for a fantastic display.

There's an article in Record Collector about the owner of these LPs, Marc Jansen...

post-9478-0-79567300-1350668523_thumb.jp

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Would make a good coffee table book, all the US Motown family album covers together :yes:

I'm proud to say after years of research and continuous digging that I'm getting close to completing 60's Motown released in 60's Japan on 7", 7" EP and LP...the many variations of stock/demo/test press, sleeve design etc can be a minefield to the collector!

:dash2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'd heard some months back that at the next Utrecht Record Fair there was to be a display of what is being described as the entire catalogue of Motown LPs. Not yet found a convincing description of what that means exactly, but it certainly sounds impressive and will definitely make for a fantastic display.

There's an article in Record Collector about the owner of these LPs, Marc Jansen...

post-9478-0-79567300-1350668523_thumb.jp

Hardly Mr Personality, is he? :lol:

Social source share

Hardly Mr Personality, is he? :lol:

I find it significant that he didn't manage to mention a single act or a specific title throughout the whole interview. It may just have been a bad interview but you would have thought that a bit more passion may have come across.

Mind you, over the years, I've seen many examples of 'completists' who just like amassing a collection because it's a challenge including many who don't seem particularly bothered about the music but more bothered about showing off their shelves - a similar mentality to train-spotters who simply collect the numbers of trains.

I've never really understood the label completist thing to be honest. Very few labels have 100% great records. I can't see the point of picking up Soupy Sales, Tom Clay, Bruce Willis or Charlene records on a classic label 'cos frankly I'd never play 'em. They'd just be taking up space for me personally.....

Ian D :D

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I find it significant that he didn't manage to mention a single act or a specific title throughout the whole interview. It may just have been a bad interview but you would have thought that a bit more passion may have come across.

Mind you, over the years, I've seen many examples of 'completists' who just like amassing a collection because it's a challenge including many who don't seem particularly bothered about the music but more bothered about showing off their shelves - a similar mentality to train-spotters who simply collect the numbers of trains.

I've never really understood the label completist thing to be honest. Very few labels have 100% great records. I can't see the point of picking up Soupy Sales, Tom Clay, Bruce Willis or Charlene records on a classic label 'cos frankly I'd never play 'em. They'd just be taking up space for me personally.....

He was asked twice what his most interesting / rarest record was.

He didn't have a clue.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm afraid the writer and editor must take responsibility for anything that's actually printed.

Anyway, I thought the thing of interest here was the collection of Motown LPs, not the opportunity for character assassination!

True Russell. An in-depth article would have done everyone more favours I think......

Social source share

I'm not the completist type of collector myself but I really appreciate what he's doing here. Collecting a full run of LPs that shaped music history and then putting it on display for all and for future generations is a very noble thing to do.

-> I'm going to check it out. I would've gone to Utrecht fair anyway though. Already looking forward to the smell of those that care more about collecting than their own body hygiene :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Ever the self-publicist, Flynny! :D

:thumbup:

Would love to see the definitive listing...an incredible achievement if 100%. :hatsoff2:

There's a thought, would be gutting if somone spotted something missing :ohmy:

x1000 LPs will take an almighty amount of wall space...cue someone to now go and measure a sleeve and do the math :D

Social source share

Yep interesting. I didn't think the interview was that good, but that is down to the interviewer / editor.

It is one heck of a collection of albums that's for sure, and as a label collector myself I know what it's like to try and get everything on a particular label including the dross.

I think he's done well and should be proud of his achievement.

I do wonder how much it costs him to ship this stuff about, both in financial terms and strained muscles.....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

does it matter if he's collected them for the love of the music or just because he likes the pictures on the covers, bottom line is, he's completed the motown album collection, how many on here can say the same, i for one would love to see them, as dave flynn said it would make an amazing book, respect to the guy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

You know, I shared this on Soul Source because I thought that the members on here would appreciate the efforts of a collector, any collector, with an obvious passion/obsession with the music we supposedly all share a common interest in.

I also thought that perhaps a few here might want to point out a few LPs that are worth looking out for - true rarities - or releases so rare or obscure that they might be missing from the supposedly complete collection. Indeed, I mistakenly thought that people might appreciate such a collection being shared with the public at large. It's a unique exhibition. It should be enjoyed as such.

Instead, what do we get? A junior school playground in which it's preferred to try and belittle a collector based on what - dress and personality?

I'll be at the Utrecht Record Fair and will make a point of seeing this exhibition. Why not be a bit more constructive and point out a few covers worth looking out for?

Well thanks for sharing Russell but the interview was dreadful and the bloke had hardly anything to say, stop being such a drama queen.

Social source share

He was asked twice what his most interesting / rarest record was.

He didn't have a clue.

I think he might be a politician Pete..........They are really good at NOT answering a question (usually because they haven't got a clue either :g: )........ :yes:

Social source share

You know, I shared this on Soul Source because I thought that the members on here would appreciate the efforts of a collector, any collector, with an obvious passion/obsession with the music we supposedly all share a common interest in.

I also thought that perhaps a few here might want to point out a few LPs that are worth looking out for - true rarities - or releases so rare or obscure that they might be missing from the supposedly complete collection. Indeed, I mistakenly thought that people might appreciate such a collection being shared with the public at large. It's a unique exhibition. It should be enjoyed as such.

Instead, what do we get? A junior school playground in which it's preferred to try and belittle a collector based on what - dress and personality?

I'll be at the Utrecht Record Fair and will make a point of seeing this exhibition. Why not be a bit more constructive and point out a few covers worth looking out for?

This is the problem with this site lately. People sucking the life out of it like vampires, the slightest bit of humour, oh no you can't do that, when certain people come on a topic it's like the whole happy atmosphere is sucked out of the window and we're all left feeling glum...this site has been in the doldrums for a while now, not helped by the missing refosoul but Christ if you can't make a remark about a guy who is obviously very rich (flies out to America every month on buying trips), who has 3 complete collections but doesn't appear to know anything about them, avoids answering the questions, then what can you actually do or say without people taking offence?

It's like coming into work every day and doing a dull boring office job, now and again someone will liven it up a little until the suits come in and tell you to sit down and shut up.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

FFS! Get a sense of humour.

You might want to take a look at some of the stuff you've posted on here.

Social source share

Found some more info on the exhibition and on Marc Janssen. Sadly, there's no info on where he buys his shirts.

Friend of the Motown Stars Because of his famous collection and knowledge of soul music Marc Janssen is friendly with many artists in the Motown club and regularly meets stars like Diana Ross, Lionel Ritchie, Erykah Badu and Bobby Womack, usually in America but sometimes they visit his home when they are in Holland for performances.

If you click on this link there's an overview of the exhibition:

https://www.recordplanet.nl/en/platenbeurs-2012.html

There are scans here of some of the LP covers that will be on display (there are over 300 images):

https://www.recordplanet.nl/en/motown.html

This link provides a complete listing of the covers in the exhibition:

https://www.recordplanet.nl/en/motown-records.html

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Some of those scans are amazing, thanks for posting.

You do wonder how LPs like "Red Jones Steeerikes Back" got released in among that lot on the Motown label. What on earth is on that LP?

Baseball related spoken comedy LP. Jones was an umpire, Ackerman was a longtime Detroit radio sports talk guy. I don't think it's aged well if it was funny to begin with. It's pretty rare but no demand.

Edited by George G
Social source share

Found some more info on the exhibition and on Marc Janssen. Sadly, there's no info on where he buys his shirts.

If you click on this link there's an overview of the exhibition:

https://www.recordpla...beurs-2012.html

There are scans here of some of the LP covers that will be on display (there are over 300 images):

https://www.recordpla.../en/motown.html

This link provides a complete listing of the covers in the exhibition:

https://www.recordpla...wn-records.html

Brilliant Russell - thanks for sharing.

Dave

Social source share

..can i be referee here? :boxing: soulsource stagnating??,...naw,......this is fabulous saturday afternoon entertainment!! :lol: :lol: beats the shite served up on telly,...C'MON EVERYBODY, LETS ALL HAVE A BIT OF KEYPAD FISTICUFFS!! :boxing::dash2::hypo::wicked::thumbup: dont you just love these icons?

no i don't, out side now

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Russel,

I was reading about this on the Utrecht site, would love to have seen the collection but unfortunatly I can`t make the show this time.

As somebody said, pictures of all of the Motown Lp covers would make a great book, I`d certainly buy a copy.

I once met Curtis McNair (Lp cover designer at Motown) at the Motown museum, had a brief chat, top bloke too!

Chris

Social source share

Yep interesting. I didn't think the interview was that good, but that is down to the interviewer / editor.

It is one heck of a collection of albums that's for sure, and as a label collector myself I know what it's like to try and get everything on a particular label including the dross.

Which labels, I'm sure I could supply you with some

overpriced dross.

Kegsy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!