Help. Any Info Please On These Two Female Artists

nrc

Jan Foreman- Your last chance- Meadowbrook label.

Only bit of info i could find on this lady was she may have been a local radio dj. But i find that non plausable , as most dj,s in the sixties were exclusivly male.

Betty Turner-The winds kept laughing-Crescent Records

Cut in San Diego, never to be heard from again.

Would be grateful for any info on these ladies.

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest in town Mikey

Betty Turner also sang - Be Careful Girl, which was a popular oldie when I got into Northern Soul in 1977.

I think she has another single. Stay Away From Jim? I've not heard this so not sure if it is the same Betty Turner?

Social source share

Betty Turner also sang - Be Careful Girl, which was a popular oldie when I got into Northern Soul in 1977.

I think she has another single. Stay Away From Jim? I've not heard this so not sure if it is the same Betty Turner?

I think this is on Infinity, very early 60's and a real copy of the "Mister Postman" sound. Pretty good actually. She also had a second single on Crescent City.

Social source share

The voices don,t sound the same, but with different studios anythings possible. Apparently the cut on the Wind single was only done on a two track reel to reel machine. But thanks for the info.

Social source share

Betty Turner is from LA and has a lot of singles, I have at least 5 of them from the 60s. She has one or two more on blue star and at least two on infinity. She also recorded for liberty.

I recently got the "wind" record, terrible imo, but the flip is really good.

Edit: she might be from San Diego, she's from that area though.

Edited by boba
Social source share

Betty Turner "The Winds Kept Laughing"

It was San Diego, I think maybe about 1962-63. Our band agent asked us for songs because he was going to record a young singer named Betty Turner. She had developed three backup girls and they called themselves the Chevelles. I was the sole songwriter on their first "A" side attempt, a song called "Blue Star". Despite the lack of success our agent and Betty Turner were going to go for it again. John Gummoe was the lead singer of our band (writer of The Cascades "Rythm Of The Rain")and he I co-wrote two songs for them.."The Winds Kept Laughing" and "Little Miss Misery". We had built a little garage studio and was using a Wollensak reel to reel recorder at 7 and 1/2 speed. Musicians on the record were myself on rythm guitar, Dave Wilson (of the Cascades) on drums, Dave Stevens (also of the Cascades) on elec bass, and all the horns were done by local kids from the high school, plus two elderly and retired musicians. The amp and reverb came from sending all signals through a Fender Bandmaster amp with the speakers disconnected. That was our amp, mixer and sound effects combined! We used this same setup on all of the early Cascade demo's when we were shopping for a contract. At one time there was an RCA engineer who asked what studio we cut at and when we told him what we were doing he was totally blown away! "Winds" was never a big hit in the states. I have often wondered what became of Betty Turner and her group. No one I know has ever heard from them again. Those were some great times..... we were sure everything we did was going to be a smash! Well, it was good to be ignorant or we never would have attempted it. Betty Turner... the Chevelles ....wherever you are... I wonder if you still think of those days! Want to try it again? I think I've got an old Bandmaster amp around here somewhere... maybe this time we'll catch the brass ring! Lenny Green

Thanks for that info Boba. I cut this Item from Lenny Green from the website" It should have been a hit " he was from La. Maybe she was one of those artists that just got married,settled down, and never returned to recording. Still , would love to hear how she has fared.

Social source share

Betty Turner is from LA and has a lot of singles, I have at least 5 of them from the 60s. She has one or two more on blue star and at least two on infinity. She also recorded for liberty.

I recently got the "wind" record, terrible imo, but the flip is really good.

Edit: she might be from San Diego, she's from that area though.

Wow Bob YOu think "The winds kept laughing" is terrible! Each to their own as they say! I just love it! Sounds like she just broke up with her boyfriend when she was singing it!

Social source share

Wow Bob YOu think "The winds kept laughing" is terrible! Each to their own as they say! I just love it! Sounds like she just broke up with her boyfriend when she was singing it!

different strokes for different folks. i can't even make it through the record.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert