Gilda Woods - Dionn, Top And Bottom Etc?

Dave Moore

Has anyone any definitive info as to whether these labels were actually owned by Mrs Woods or whether they were a Jamie Guyden label owned by Harold Lipsius?

I know of her history and involvement in the development of the labels but can't ascertain if she actually owned them?

Any help appreciated guys.

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Has anyone any definitive info as to whether these labels were actually owned by Mrs Woods or whether they were a Jamie Guyden label owned by Harold Lipsius?

I know of her history and involvement in the development of the labels but can't ascertain if she actually owned them?

Any help appreciated guys.

Regards,

Dave

Did you see the Mike Boone YouTube on Mrs Woods, Dave?

See it from the start but at 3:00 Mike says she owned Dionn 'with distribution by Jamie / Guyden'

Elsewhere, I've seen her mentioned as 'label manager'.

Don't know if that helps.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

The group's first recordings were on the Dionn label, owned by Gilda Woods, and the follow-up to the classic 'Dry Your Eyes' proved to be another gold record for them.

"We'd cut an album after the first record took off so well and I wrote four or five of the songs on there including 'A Touch Of You' with our drummer, back then, Gerry Jones. Well, that also did well and we just continued to record and do gigs at the weekends for a few years." With the demise of Dionn Records and the birth of Top & Bottom Records, again owned by Gilda Woods in partnership with others, Brenda and co. again began to hit the charts.

From an old Blues & Soul Interview... with Brenda (of the Tabulations).

Not definitive, but only within a few years of the recordings..

Cheers,

Sean

Social source share

Yep,

I've already seen all the net based stuff.

I'd just like to have a definitive source of ownership of the two labels it's claimed she owned. I also heard she owned Fairmount but find that very hard to believe as that label was a reincarnation of the Pageant logo owned by the Lowe/Mann partnership.

John, she was his wife so I suspect there were interweaving interests but she was an independent producer too. AND...stop posting your cheap Billboard scans. I have had to source some of the originals for my project! :lol:

Social source share

The group's first recordings were on the Dionn label, owned by Gilda Woods, and the follow-up to the classic 'Dry Your Eyes' proved to be another gold record for them.

"We'd cut an album after the first record took off so well an :thumbsup: d I wrote four or five of the songs on there including 'A Touch Of You' with our drummer, back then, Gerry Jones. Well, that also did well and we just continued to record and do gigs at the weekends for a few years." With the demise of Dionn Records and the birth of Top & Bottom Records, again owned by Gilda Woods in partnership with others, Brenda and co. again began to hit the charts.

From an old Blues & Soul Interview... with Brenda (of the Tabulations).

Not definitive, but only within a few years of the recordings..

Cheers,

Sean

This is more like it. :thumbsup:

This puts me one more step along the road. Just need corroboration of exactly who the others were now. I know who they are but need an independent source to confirm. Thanks Sean.

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Another cheap internet scan I'm afraid (away from home again, so don't have access to my own stuff) ...

Gilda Woods with her Jilmor Production's mate Cathy Morrell flank RCA's Winston 'Buzz' Willis in Las Vegas. Seems the ladies must have liked dressing up as 'young dollybirds'.

Buzz Willis had started out in the Solitaires before heading off to college (in Cleveland) and then doing promo work for MGM / Verve. After that he landed a job with RCA, soon becoming the label's youngest Vice President. He went onto create the first Black Music Division for the company.

post-22122-0-10527700-1350372557_thumb.j

Social source share

• 8 years later...

I'm a bit late to the party but thanks for sharing the pictures and info. I'm the manager and producer for my hometown hero, Bobby Newton who was once managed by Gilda Woods and Cathy Morrell. He's mentioned in the news clipping collage included earlier on in the thread. I'm doing my best to find and archive anything in regards to his career in hopes to create an autobiography and have been doing my fair share of detective work in attempting to chronicle and trace his career and this is a good bit of info. Thanks again and if anyone has any pictures, articles, etc of Bobby please contact me!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert