Bobbie Jones - Talkin´ Bout Jone´s - Expo

Guest Dani Herranz

Guest Dani Herranz

I´ve just had a copy (45) of Bobby Jones - Talkin´ bout Jone´s on Expo;

I know there´s a rare album but not much more info on the record; any info and trivia would be appreciated...by the way I think it´s great!!! :) :)

Thanks!

Social source share

I love it too.

Chris Campbell - Got To Pay Dues - USA has the same / very similar backing. BJ is best though

Ah yes - nice spot Joan.

Here it is from YouTube.

See Joe Hunter gets a writing credit this time - plus Brohun music is credited

BJ is definitely better :D

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

I´ve just had a copy (45) of Bobby Jones - Talkin´ bout Jone´s on Expo;I know there´s a rare album but not much more info on the record; any info and trivia would be appreciated...by the way I think it´s great!!! :):)
Thanks!

A great shout on this super duper gem...

Hey the album is worth more than a shout toooo a gem with not a dud track on it just brilliant]!!

Only snag is the vinyl press is slightly off centre which slightly distorts the sound quality-not sure if all the runs are the same but dont let that make you take your eye off the prize so if you see it just get i!

and right on right on with Bobby Jones and "Talkin bout Jones" ktf tfk :rofl:

post-3067-0-94462800-1350075194_thumb.jp

post-3067-0-94462800-1350075194_thumb.jp

Edited by tfk
Social source share

I hear Joe Hunter's regular crew of well-known Detroit session players on this one. I'm sure that, at least the instrumental tracks were recorded in Detroit. Celtex-related labels did a fair amount of that. I wonder if Jones also recorded his vocals there, or in Chicago?

Social source share

vaguely related to detroit, the kack record "welcome back a foolish man" steals the backing track from a ruby andrews "you can't run". But it's not the same recording, the producer entirely copied the backing track and reproduced it, sort of like dr dre replaying stuff on his productions.

Social source share

Hey the album is worth more than a shout toooo a gem with not a dud track on it just brilliant]!!

Only snag is the vinyl press is slightly off centre which slightly distorts the sound quality-not sure if all the runs are the same but dont let that make you take your eye off the prize so if you see it just get i!

Well done Funky kid. I had this album for years and nobody believed it existed. It is a seriously rare one i think.

Social source share

Well done Funky kid. I had this album for years and nobody believed it existed. It is a seriously rare one i think.

Hi Kitch - yep one of the harder uns as far as albums go for sure - not sure if they are all off centred...

i think the guy in the pressing plant may have popped oot for a wee fag break between the 3 and 4th hour and took his eyes off the prize or at least my copy.... :yes:

tfk :rofl:

Edited by tfk
Social source share

Hi Kitch - yep one of the harder uns as far as albums go for sure - not sure if they are all off centred...

i think the guy in the pressing plant may have popped oot for a wee fag break between the 3 and 4th hour and took his eyes off the prize or at least my copy.... :yes:

I've got the album too Andy and I'm happy to report my copy is absolutely perfect! :0)

Also got the 45 of 'Welcome Back A Foolish Man' on the unfortunately titled 'Kack' label.

Nice double sider - shame about the sh#t label name lol

:thumbsup:

Sean

• Helpful 2
Social source share

This thread sums up why Source is such a great forum.

Without the original post it had never occured to me that these records which joined my collection decades apart could be the same man, what with it being such a common name.

To think the singer of the USA 45 (which I'm fairly certain came to prominence at the Catacombs via my old mate Blue Max, which is where my copy came from) would be the same guy as on the Searling 80's spin "Win Your Love" ( which I remember from Stafford, would that be where it started?) let alone where and when the "Your A Devil " & "Talkin Bout Jones" joined in, goodness knows ( sadly I feel I'm not alone in treating both these records like so many other great-but-cheap 45's, you buy one, you sell one off, you buy it back, then let it go again, daft really, no point selling them when you know you're only gonna need to buy it back :rolleyes: Of course now we all want to hear the album tracks that we don't know !!! darn, it's not easy being a soul vinyl addict is it :lol:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Not read article mate but distinctly recall Mike Ward saying that when he 'met' Jonz he told him he was not Jones.

Would make a lot of sense if they were the same person, but Mike Ward would say different.

Sean

Aural evidence would suggest otherwise - a close listen to the LP and to his USA 45 and then a listen to the later "To Win You Love " 45 and to my ears it is absolutely plain as day that they are one and the same person/vocalist.

And they are all Chicago label recordings , even if some of his 6Ts tracks may have been recorded in Detroit.

As we soul fans have found from time to time, in later life some of our soul heroes have either simply forgotten about their earlier recordings (although I believe the Talkin Bout Jones 45 was a regional break out around Chicago - perhaps our friend Bob(a) might expand on that ) .

In Bobby's case though , as he was still trying to make it in the business in the early 80's , he may in Mike Ward's interview have deliberately disowned his earlier recordings as he may have been trying to establish a new persona as Bobby Jonz and not run the risk of somebody dredging up what might - in his eyes at least - have been raw inferior records from the distant past that never really gave him a big hit or made him a star.

Edited by sunnysoul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

It's definitely the same person. Not only does he say so in the interview (although he does get some random facts wrong), but the Jonz record is on Barry Despenza's Dispo label, is written by Barry Despenza and guitarist Gregory Washington, and recorded in the Chicago suburbs. Sometimes there are two artists with similar names working in the same city (in chicago there were two Singing Sams and two Maurice Jacksons) but I'm pretty sure there was just one Bobby Jones. Plus again the expo dude remembers those specific songs.

Social source share

I have his Expo record. I also seem to remember seeing a Bobby Jones record on one of The CJ-distributed labels (Capri?). He also had a release on USA Records -"Check Me Out"/"Beware A Stranger". And didn't he have another record on which he was backed by The Paramonts on another CJ-distributed label (Olé)?

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

I have his Expo record. I also seem to remember seeing a Bobby Jones record on one of The CJ-distributed labels (Capri?). He also had a release on USA Records -"Check Me Out"/"Beware A Stranger". And didn't he have another record on which he was backed by The Paramonts on another CJ-distributed label (Olé)?

he has a bunch of expo records. he has a record on the late 70s scott brothers' capri. the USA record is the one backed by the paramonts, he did not have a release on Ole. he has several records on other labels

Social source share

Aural evidence would suggest otherwise - a close listen to the LP and to his USA 45 and then a listen to the later "To Win You Love " 45 and to my ears it is absolutely plain as day that they are one and the same person/vocalist.

And they are all Chicago label recordings , even if some of his 6Ts tracks may have been recorded in Detroit.

As we soul fans have found from time to time, in later life some of our soul heroes have either simply forgotten about their earlier recordings (although I believe the Talkin Bout Jones 45 was a regional break out around Chicago - perhaps our friend Bob(a) might expand on that ) .

In Bobby's case though , as he was still trying to make it in the business in the early 80's , he may in Mike Ward's interview have deliberately disowned his earlier recordings as he may have been trying to establish a new persona as Bobby Jonz and not run the risk of somebody dredging up what might - in his eyes at least - have been raw inferior records from the distant past that never really gave him a big hit or made him a star.

That sounds plausible.

We all know that artists often forget or 'choose' to forget their past.

I had the Expo 'Talkin' 45 in the 70's. When Richard Searling started playing the JONZ Dispo 45 in the early 80's I had always assumed it was the same guy, with a 'jazzed up' surname.

Some years later, talking to Ward, we were chatting about all the stuff he found for Richard in the late 70's / early 80's and the 'Win Your Love' came up in the conversation. He almost bit my head off when I said I'd always liked the Expo 45 - "Totally different guy!!!" he said.

I quizzed him on this but he maintained it was a totally different singer... In the early 80's very few people in the UK were better connected than Mike Ward and I had no reason to doubt him. But then it wouldn't have been the first time he'd lead me on the rocks! :D

Sean

Social source share

I've got the album too Andy and I'm happy to report my copy is absolutely perfect! :0)

Also got the 45 of 'Welcome Back A Foolish Man' on the unfortunately titled 'Kack' label.

Nice double sider - shame about the sh#t label name lol

Sean

Cheers for the info Sean :hatsoff2: ....mmmm it must have bought a dud copy-now just let me check the labels address out on the album sleeve and see if i can get it exchanged for a better copy????????? i wonder :shhh: ....

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!