Best Set Ever Spun?

Guest gordon russell

last night l heard at burnley a near perfect set of known/semi known uptempo soul dancers as has ever been played....big dan

Social source share

seriously.....this has nowt to do with the actual club............but karl heards last ever set at burnley has gotta take some beating....thats how to play a dance set without much in the way of tunes.....yes sir karl that was truely breathtaking and l for one salute you for it :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I must agree with that,Karl had a good ear,and knew a dance tune,not just to play stuff because its rare that nobody dances to.

Atb.Kev.

Social source share

I'll echo all the Searling posts, unbeatable for me.

Another great set was Soul Sam at Colwyn Bay Pier niter, fantastic set & he 'out did' was was 'current' at 'massive' at Wigan at the time I seem to remember.

Recently best set I've heard is Bob Hinsley, he just does it the right way, every time.

Best non-soul set was probably Paul Oakenfold's Stone Roses Spike Island gig at lunchtime, although we were on the 'narcs' early that day, I'd run a mile these days.

Aid.

Social source share

Another great set was Soul Sam at Colwyn Bay Pier niter, fantastic set & he 'out did' was was 'current' at 'massive' at Wigan at the time I seem to remember.

Recently best set I've heard is Bob Hinsley, he just does it the right way, every time.

Best non-soul set was probably Paul Oakenfold's Stone Roses Spike Island gig at lunchtime, although we were on the 'narcs' early that day, I'd run a mile these days.

Aid.

ditto,

friday just gone, bob was his usuual awesome self at lowton and barry maleady as well, always had quality tunes and reads the dancefloor brilliantly. enjoyed reading all the previous....butch, richard, sam & ady...those fabulous rca acetates....greatest nighter for me, north v south pitching up against each other.....rarest of the rare at the ritz, 2002...mick smith, shifty, carl willingham, adey, butch, andy rix and those northerners...ee by gum!! first time out for margaret little & the mello souls.....even now, top tuneage being spun in the windsor suite and some big guns sitting on the back wall tapping their feet, including uncle ted who is one mean honcho behind the decks!.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

ditto,

friday just gone, bob was his usuual awesome self at lowton and barry maleady as well, always had quality tunes and reads the dancefloor brilliantly. enjoyed reading all the previous....butch, richard, sam & ady...those fabulous rca acetates....greatest nighter for me, north v south pitching up against each other.....rarest of the rare at the ritz, 2002...mick smith, shifty, carl willingham, adey, butch, andy rix and those northerners...ee by gum!! first time out for margaret little & the mello souls.....even now, top tuneage being spun in the windsor suite and some big guns sitting on the back wall tapping their feet, including uncle ted who is one mean honcho behind the decks!.

Missed last Friday Agent....unfortunately.

Can't wait for Nov though.

When is the next Grumpy Soul then, that's a deffo from me & a few of my mates?

Aid.

Social source share

ditto,

.....rarest of the rare at the ritz, 2002...mick smith, shifty, carl willingham, adey, butch, andy rix and those northerners...ee by gum!! first time out for margaret little & the mello souls.....

Are you saying 2002 was first time out for the Mello Souls? And who played Margaret Little at the Ritz cause none of those listed had it first to my knowledge?

Social source share

He got it back in he 90s didn't he and played it uncovered then. Butch was playing it in 1986.

I heard he was given / sent it by someone in the US who thought it was the type of sound he was in to.

I have a tape of Butch's spot In Lincoln 1987:

Appointments - I saw you there

Frank Beverly - I just want to feel

Mello Souls

George Blackwell - CLMH

Devotions - do do de dop

Soul bros - Pyramid

Delegates of soul - I'll come running back

Cheryl Ann. - I can't let him

'Diane Lewis' - you ain't got a chance

Gene toones - what more do you want

Little John - heart breaking time

Two plus Two - love will conquer all

Tommy Ridgley - My love is getting stronger

James Dockery - My faith

Shufflers - Always be mine

Mr Lucky - I was born to love you

Ray Agee - I'm losing again

Chantelle & Aqualads - I'll never know

Mello Souls

'Just Brothers' - go on and laugh

Edited by simon t
Social source share

Anyone have a setlist from this time? - only ones I can find are full of cover-up titles! :huh:

J

Legendary -Off the top of my head

Cecil Washington

Cashmeres

Jackie Beavers

Paris

Eddie Daye

Charles Johnson

Nomads

Cheryl Berdell

Larry Houston

King Tut

Appreciations

Tamala Lewis

Social source share

Are you saying 2002 was first time out for the Mello Souls? And who played Margaret Little at the Ritz cause none of those listed had it first to my knowledge?

sorry for any confusion there chalky, i wasnt referring in paticular to the mello souls being played in 02...seems like it was that year to me though, shifty had it, played it at the ritz, never heard it before....staggering. with regards to margaret little, definitely played FIRST at the ritz by sam, only just had it off des parker, this IS a fact as i was there when it was played, it caused a sensation!...i promptly photographed it on the decks...the following week sam played it at the very last lea manor all-nighter...i'll check dave rimmer's dates...it'll probably turn out to be 2003 because he posted the entire playlist for THAT night on his website...incidentally thats the one i compiled.

Social source share

Sam got "Margaret Little" off Adey Pierce, not myself, who in turn got it off a dealer in Toledo, who charged him $7 for it.

Des Parker

Des is right

i was at Adey pierces the day sam bought it, think he paid 2 Grand for it,(not certain) but if sam didnt have it i was interested myself but sam had it and i had to settle for the Antiques -go for yourself on Lasalle , but if i remember rightly condition of the margaret little wasnt great visually but both sides played fine

ATB

Floyd :thumbsup:

Social source share

Aid.

What year would the Colwyn Bay do's have been mate? I went a few dayers and nighters there.

Social source share

What year would the Colwyn Bay do's have been mate? I went a few dayers and nighters there.

Hey Barry,

Reckon the Colwyn Bay niter would have been 79 at a guess, could have been earlier, wouldn't argue about the date.

I distinctly remember Jimmy Burns getting a spin, when it wasn't mainstream at Wigan, cos I knew as I had it on a Manship tape & non of the Wigan jocks had it yet at that time.

I was amazed at Sams Playlist at that time.

Could be wrong, but also think Inspirations Your Wish Is My Command too, that also wasn't getting spins at Wigan at that time.

Cheers ears

Aid.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Hey Barry,

Reckon the Colwyn Bay niter would have been 79 at a guess, could have been earlier, wouldn't argue about the date.

I distinctly remember Jimmy Burns getting a spin, when it wasn't mainstream at Wigan, cos I knew as I had it on a Manship tape & non of the Wigan jocks had it yet at that time.

I was amazed at Sams Playlist at that time.

Could be wrong, but also think Inspirations Your Wish Is My Command too, that also wasn't getting spins at Wigan at that time.

Cheers ears

Aid.

Thanks for the reply fella....a bit early for me 79, was later when I used to go - mid 80's maybe...I really can't remember haha

Social source share

Seen as I am a young'un not really got many nighters behind me but, Butch is just phenomenal every-time I see him :thumbup:

Ted Massey always puts me in NS heaven, Dave Rimmer always stands out for me, Ady Pountain just divine sets!!!

Umm my 'best' sets so far have been: a guy who I didn't know called Rob Gray at Rugby, just blew my socks - Gwen Davis and Betty Lloyd are two spins that spring to mind and Butch at Blackburn NS Film All-Dayer playing all the anthems was euphoric for me :)

Social source share

James Lavelle, shock !, at Club Sandino , Sub Club, Glasgow.

Just before Mo Wax started and James was still working in Honest Johns.

First time I heard Air 'I Dont Know Where Love', Gregory James Edition 'Aint no Sunshine', Michael James Kirkland 'Hang on in There', FBI 'Talkin About Love and a host of other amazing tunes crossing the genres of soul, jazz, brazilian and funk.

A truly memorable night with, at that time, a very young forward looking dj holding the whole of the Sub Club in the palm of his hand.

A night when each tune, most of which were unknown to the crowd,got bigger and bigger cheers as the night went on.

Social source share

• 6 months later...

one of the best spots i have heard ,when you think of the time(early morning) was Minsh´s last spot at Stafford ,as we know Stafford was more upfront? unknowns etc but Kieth finished with one record after the other top class sounds...........Johnny Hunnicut,Mr Soul, William Powell,Eddie Holman, Paris,Magnetics etc it was just so different to hear at that time and everybody just went for it rofl.png the right way to fiish a ´niter!! thumbsup.gif

Sometimes i really think Kieth never got the due credits that he deserved! I know he could be recieved as a miserable so and so yes.gif but for me he was always up there as one of "THE" dj´s who just got on with it(no frills)

OK accept for the short poppy period at Wigan ohmy.png

Steve

=======

bang  on about keith steve

he always used to play deon jackson - remember the feeling and instrumental to the fascinations - lucky

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

seriously.....this has nowt to do with the actual club............but karl heards last ever set at burnley has gotta take some beating....thats how to play a dance set without much in the way of tunes.....yes sir karl that was truely breathtaking and l for one salute you for it thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

I'll go with a Karl Heard set as well, one he did at Move On. He turned up with a small box 'no safety net' he said, of his favourite funky soul records and proceeded to dpo one of the best sets i've ever heard anywhere. The start of a new era for me.

In the 80s any Gary Rushbrooke spot was a joy to behold.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I heard he was given / sent it by someone in the US who thought it was the type of sound he was in to.

I have a tape of Butch's spot In Lincoln 1987:

Appointments - I saw you there

Frank Beverly - I just want to feel

Mello Souls

George Blackwell - CLMH

Devotions - do do de dop

Soul bros - Pyramid

Delegates of soul - I'll come running back

Cheryl Ann. - I can't let him

'Diane Lewis' - you ain't got a chance

Gene toones - what more do you want

Little John - heart breaking time

Two plus Two - love will conquer all

Tommy Ridgley - My love is getting stronger

James Dockery - My faith

Shufflers - Always be mine

Mr Lucky - I was born to love you

Ray Agee - I'm losing again

Chantelle & Aqualads - I'll never know

Mello Souls

'Just Brothers' - go on and laugh

Don,t think thie set is that good ....lot of rare tunes i,ll agree......but not that good......a set of individual tunes

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!