Tami Lynn

Just out of interest, I was (as you do) looking at my Mojo copy of "I'm gonna run away from you" and noticed that in the runout it has a "red Atlantic" number - 584200 - scratched through (same goes for the Irish Polydor issue talked about a while back). Now as we know the reissue was in the first half of 1971, due to demand, but 584200 equates to the first half of 1968, before it was in demand, and was allocated to a Jerry jeff Walker single anyway. Any ideas?

Social source share

Just out of interest, I was (as you do) looking at my Mojo copy of "I'm gonna run away from you" and noticed that in the runout it has a "red Atlantic" number - 584200 - scratched through (same goes for the Irish Polydor issue talked about a while back). Now as we know the reissue was in the first half of 1971, due to demand, but 584200 equates to the first half of 1968, before it was in demand, and was allocated to a Jerry jeff Walker single anyway. Any ideas?

No, but that's just the sort of thing that keeps record collecting interesting!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Any ideas?

Yes, a nice walk around the leafy roads where you live should clear the mind of such trivial stuff, Dad!

A shelving of a potential release, and subsequent re-allocation of a matrix number?!

:thumbup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Might be wrong here, so shoot me if I am :thumbsup: , but if the record was recorded at an earlier date than the re-release in 1971, they may have kept the matrix number from the original release for the Mojo release?

Originally released in February 1966, but as AT 4071, when Atlantic was distributed by Decca..

Social source share

I have two copies on Mojo and both have the 584200 stamped in the deadwax with A // 1 then something I can't read, then 2 then a gap then 5 if that helps. Maybe they were are 584200?

Edited by jim g
Social source share

I have two copies on Mojo and both have the 584200 stamped in the deadwax with A // 1 then something I can't read, then 2 then a gap then 5 if that helps. Maybe they were are 584200?

Maybe it was scheduled for re-release on Red Atlantic given it was a Cotillion recording

and there probably was demand for it possibly due to the Wheel.

Maybe mojo just bougth the rights and somehow the original stamper plate.

Kegsy

Edited by Kegsy
Social source share

Maybe it was scheduled for re-release on Red Atlantic given it was a Cotillion recording

and there probably was demand for it possibly due to the Wheel.

Maybe mojo just bougth the rights and somehow the original stamper plate.

Kegsy

Point is kegsy, AFAIK the demand wasn't there in 68, unless someone was really ahead of the game - the revival/reissue craze didn't really kick in until 1969...oh well, as Pete S says, that's what makes collecting interesting!

Social source share

Point is kegsy, AFAIK the demand wasn't there in 68, unless someone was really ahead of the game - the revival/reissue craze didn't really kick in until 1969...oh well, as Pete S says, that's what makes collecting interesting!

Theres a thread on here about UK pressings that may indicate

that there was demand in 68 for certain records.

Also wernt Mojo and Red Atlantic both distribued by Polydor which may

have allowed the same stamper to be used.

kegsy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Well spotted that man. :thumbsup:

Hadn't noticed that on the 'Irish' Polydor copy.

Edited by denbo
Social source share

I always though this got re released in 1970.because thats when we stopped playing it.

It was in big demand from 67 onwards and well known by any half serious soul clubber/collector

And I only class myself as a second generation rare soul man

Edited by bri. phill
Social source share

Mojo must have put it out twice, first time with the 584200 Atlantic plate, and then they remastered it on the 2092-001.

I've only ever seen the 2092-001 Mojo, and the 584200 Polydor, but looks like there are copies of 584200 Mojo out there too (Jim G has 2 and the original poster Jerry has one).

As a matter of interest, do these 584200 Mojo presses have a 4 pronged middle (like the Irish Polydor). I saw a 4 pronged Mojo recently, thought "that's unusual", but never picked it up - I wonder if this is the 584200 Mojo release.

Interesting stuff, as others have said.

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

Spent ages looking for a black atlantic copy of this back in the sixties then our kid pops to Wakefield and finds several copies in an old record shop.

He bought one for himself!!!!! Hey Ho

Hey, I used to take you for nights out to the Hull soul clubs back when you were still in short pants ...... I couldn't be expected to find you copies of rare UK 45's at low prices as well !!!!

Anyway, the guy in the Wakefield record shop (it was halfway down the hill towards Westgate Rail Stn, can't recall the name but it had been there for some years) had a 'stock' of old UK 45's up in the shop's attic & he would go and fetch a copy of things you asked for by name .... but you could only have one copy of each 45 per visit & he wouldn't tell you what he had up there or let you look yourself.

Social source share

Hey, I used to take you for nights out to the Hull soul clubs back when you were still in short pants ...... I couldn't be expected to find you copies of rare UK 45's at low prices as well !!!!

Anyway, the guy in the Wakefield record shop (it was halfway down the hill towards Westgate Rail Stn, can't recall the name but it had been there for some years) had a 'stock' of old UK 45's up in the shop's attic & he would go and fetch a copy of things you asked for by name .... but you could only have one copy of each 45 per visit & he wouldn't tell you what he had up there or let you look yourself.

Roburt I think you should explain that Smudger is your younger brother.

God knows what people on here will make of you knocking about

with someone in short pants, you could end up on the front page of The Sun.

kegsy

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Mojo must have put it out twice, first time with the 584200 Atlantic plate, and then they remastered it on the 2092-001.

I've only ever seen the 2092-001 Mojo, and the 584200 Polydor, but looks like there are copies of 584200 Mojo out there too (Jim G has 2 and the original poster Jerry has one).

As a matter of interest, do these 584200 Mojo presses have a 4 pronged middle (like the Irish Polydor). I saw a 4 pronged Mojo recently, thought "that's unusual", but never picked it up - I wonder if this is the 584200 Mojo release.

Cheers

Mick

My Mojo copies are the ones with no centre

Social source share

Cheers

Mick

Here's one with a center Mick

Social source share

Jerry got a feeling the Jamaicans were into it pretty early on....that may have prompted the thought of an Atlantic reissue in 68. We can't measure everything by what was or wasn't played at "The Wheel"...that wasn't the only gig in town....:ohmy:

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Jerry got a feeling the Jamaicans were into it pretty early on....that may have prompted the thought of an Atlantic reissue in 68. We can't measure everything by what was or wasn't played at "The Wheel"...that wasn't the only gig in town.... :ohmy:

I'm not just talking about the Wheel if you read my post What about all the other clubs where Tammi Lynn and tons of more deleted classics were well known.A lot of these clubs changed musical policy during 67/68 or shut down.Having said that there was still plenty of other clubs playing deleted soul into the 70s just not allniters.

In Manchester Tammi Lynn was mainstream by 69 or even before played in at least another four or five normal discos.

This happened with lots of records like Hey Girl Don't Bother Me,Discoteque,Breakout,In Crowd,Thats enough,The Contours,Can't Satisfy all The Motown/Atlantic stuff etc etc

I know because I went to these clubs/discos and in a lot of cases use to lend the DJs stuff as I'm sure other people did(not the above mentioned) every half decent DJ had them

Edited by bri. phill
Social source share

Notice that this has BOTH MOJO & COTILLION Matrix on the Label

(2092-001/45-44123)

I see from a note on the JM site that the Cotillion release was withdrawn and replaced with Mojo Hannah. The Cotillion release also has the different B Side to the other "Run" releases. I don't know the story behind this, any info?

Also there was the Contempo release in 1975. Did this have another mid 70's revival ?

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

I have a couple of Singles on Red ATLANTIC "ACTION REPLAY"

One is "COOL JERK" Released 1971

Mojo Tami Lynn also 1971

I wonder if Polydor had Intended to Include on ACTION REPLAY but made a last minute change when Mojo Label started.

Very possible. John Abbey would have persuaded Polydor that Mojo had better expertise in the UK soul market thus making the marketing of an old soul record an easier option for a major that was more concerned with selling shedloads of Cream and Jimi Hendricks albums.........

Ian D :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!