Black Box - Fall Into My Love

Garswood

not what ive heard barry i think it was a promo 12 to promote the jap cd. Im sure cunnie (on here) will fill in the info as he had one for sale.

Yes your right Cunnie offered one to me a while back, but I play it off the 2006 ST LP

Social source share

Seen as I have been mentioned a few times on this thread I suppose I may as well add a few words to it.

The record first came to my attention when posted up as a test soundfile on the EMS forum by Paul Sutton (Sutty on here).

I don't think it was known by most folks until then so I guess you could say it was Paul's discovery but as he's a modest kind of chap he's not after the glory that some would seek.

Think his copy was a 12" Groove Groove Melody test press but not 100% & sure he'll confirm this one way or the other.

Also think his copy ended up in Barnsley.

My 3 copy's came out of Japan as did a couple of others but that was before the earthquake & tsunami so I don't think there will be any more surfacing from there.

Know someone who also got a copy from Japan & he sold his for £300.

Think most of the copy's that were pressed (& there weren't many as I think it was their last vinyl release) were exported to Japan as only know 1 person who got a copy from Italy.

Would guess that there are probably about a dozen copy's flying around on the Soul scene here in the UK & 2 of them are mine but I'm keeping one & if the right offer comes my way for the other who know's :g::D

Must also mention Soul Sam made me an offer for the spare so when he does track one down expect it to rocket :yes:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I know a man who recently picked a 12" up on the internet cheap as chips, so there's another copy!!

I've played it out (I have the JAP CD) and wouldn't mind a 12" at the right price............but only at the right price as it's a nice enough record, but hardly the epitome of contemporary soul..........but it's rare, so there you go!!

If it's worth £300, then how much for a Dante 12" I ask myself, which has a similar story (Japan).........but replace Italy with USA?????

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

I think you're more likely to find a copy of the Italian 12 in Barnsley than Italy or Japan (seriously). For me it was a record of its time, its a nice record but I've always thought some of the UK white labels I caned at the time were much better, like Wookie ' runaway' and Jolynn Murray 'wrapped up' but they just didn't generally take off in the same way for some reason, but they were still as popular when played out on a night. Credit for finding black box must always go to Mark Randell from Southampton, I just played it on the scene which he wasn't part of as far as DJing

I'm afraid the Jap 12 is a 2nd press

Cheers Sutty

Edited by Sutty
Social source share

I think you're more likely to find a copy of the Italian 12 in Barnsley than Italy or Japan (seriously). For me it was a record of its time, its a nice record but I've always thought some of the UK white labels I caned at the time were much better, like Wookie ' runaway' and Jolynn Murray 'wrapped up' but they just didn't generally take off in the same way for some reason, but they were still as popular when played out on a night. Credit for finding black box must always go to Mark Randell from Southampton, I just played it on the scene which he wasn't part of as far as DJing

I'm afraid the Jap 12 is a 2nd press

Cheers Sutty

And I repeat not one of your finest moments, :D :D

John Coltrane would be choking on his horn when he heard this!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

And how many Black Box, other than the Loleatta Holloway rip offs, have you actually heard.

Its one of their worst records, puerile pop, and that is saying something,

I'm with you on this Jocko, weak and wishy washy. I do however think the best thing they did was the cover version of 'Native New Yorker'

Social source share

And how many Black Box, other than the Loleatta Holloway rip offs, have you actually heard.

Its one of their worst records, puerile pop, and that is saying something,

I bow to your superior knowledge Jock ...my opinion shall be removed forthwith !

• Helpful 1
Social source share

...............its a nice record but I've always thought some of the UK white labels I caned at the time were much better, like Wookie ' runaway' and Jolynn Murray 'wrapped up' but they just didn't generally take off in the same way for some reason, but they were still as popular when played out on a night. Cheers Sutty

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Social source share

Just for the record 'Pardon the pun' there was no such group as 'Black Box'.

When 'Ride on time' was released on the UK market, the record company got a few peeps together so that they could appear on TOTP. Obviously the record was simply a sample of Loleatta Holloway's' 'Love sensation' with a backing track, and was put together by Italian DJ/Producer 'Daniele Davoli', and the face of the band that was manifested for the record was the French model 'Katrin Quinol' who lip synched the vocals.

Recordings by the 'band'? were usually released on 'Groove Groove Melody' in Italy and then were put onto the 'Deconstruction' label for release in the UK.

In my opinion (for what it's worth) I think the remake of 'EWF' 'Fantasy' was one of their better ones.

Social source share

When 'Ride on time' was released on the UK market, the record company got a few peeps together so that they could appear on TOTP. Obviously the record was simply a sample of Loleatta Holloway's' 'Love sensation' with a backing track, and was put together by Italian DJ/Producer 'Daniele Davoli', and the face of the band that was manifested for the record was the French model 'Katrin Quinol' who lip synched the vocals.

Recordings by the 'band'? were usually released on 'Groove Groove Melody' in Italy and then were put onto the 'Deconstruction' label for release in the UK.

In my opinion (for what it's worth) I think the remake of 'EWF' 'Fantasy' was one of their better ones.

Great post Steve ,very informative .

I always thought that the group we saw on totp were exposed as mime artists along with milli vanilli .

Video killed the radio star !

Social source share

Shit - I never knew that.

Nice one Steve.

Social source share

I had a white label of this which seemingly originated from Italy, it was sent out as a promo at the time when that kind of stuff was "in". Actually didn't do anything with it: ie play it out etc etc. When I sold my "disco" stuff, most of which went to Ian Clark, I'm sure that went with it. A trip to North Walsham may prove fruitful if he didn't let it go.

Steve H

Social source share

I had a white label of this which seemingly originated from Italy, it was sent out as a promo at the time when that kind of stuff was "in". Actually didn't do anything with it: ie play it out etc etc. When I sold my "disco" stuff, most of which went to Ian Clark, I'm sure that went with it. A trip to North Walsham may prove fruitful if he didn't let it go.

Steve H

I used to get all the Italian releases of this ilk sent from the record companies when I was a House DJ.

Got some brilliant stuff, but not this one unfortunately. :(

It wouldn't at all suprise me that Ian Dewhirst may have a copy??

Edited by Steve Luigi
Social source share

Actually, on reflection, Ian probably doesn't have it anymore. It was 1993 when I moved to Yorkshire. Ian bought my stuff about a year before... quite a few thousand records if I remember correctly. So I'm guessing the 12 came out in 90 / 91 as thats when I was winding down my club DJ'ing around Lincolnshire.

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I used to get all the Italian releases of this ilk sent from the record companies when I was a House DJ.

Got some brilliant stuff, but not this one unfortunately. :(

It wouldn't at all suprise me that Ian Dewhirst may have a copy??

Oi.... Spike, where are you when we need you (BTW spike is now his new name in reference to his severed balls story :D )

Steve

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Oi.... Spike, where are you when we need you (BTW spike is now his new name in reference to his severed balls story :D )

Steve

Oh he'll be along shortly, don't worry. He senses his name's been mentioned :-)

Oh and when he does, ask him about the time he was driving to Cleethorpes and he felt an

almighty sneeze coming on???

I won't say anything else, I'll leave it up to Ian to fill in the details :-)

Edited by Steve Luigi
Social source share

Oh he'll be along shortly, don't worry. He senses his name's been mentioned :-)

Oh....did someone mention my name......? :wink:

Oh and when he does, ask him about the time he was driving to Cleethorpes and he felt an

almighty sneeze coming on???

Oh yes LOL. That would be the time when I had a very viscous cold and had to clear my lungs of mucus over the Lincolnshire countryside, rolled the window down and attempted to do an impressive spit whilst going @ 60mph.

The way that snot left my my mouth and immediately blew back into the open rear window hitting Arthur Fenn directly in the mouth could probably never be replicated. A work of art really and a moment I know Arthur will cherish forever...... :lol:

I won't say anything else, I'll leave it up to Ian to fill in the details :-)

Exploding balls and exploding snot. It's all the same to me Steve. As long as it explodes that is.

Ian D :D

Social source share

Not sure that is not romanticising it a little Steve, I thought the DJ combo were making tracks before this anyway and getting the model to lip synch in PA's. They were sued fairly heavily by Loleatta Holloway and Dan Hartman over that track and Martha Wash also did, I think, as they had used her in the studio but used the model again to lip synch, hence not paying Martha for her work. I thought the MW tracks were prior to this. It was more than a little obvious when you seen their "singer" against the sound she was supposed to be producing.......

Certainly CJ McIntosh and one of the US producers involved with Martha Wash were less than complimentary about BB methods and their lack of accounting skills and their overall production "skills". Although pretty sure the guy Danielle dj'd at Ministry of Sound later so maybe they all kissed and made up.

Social source share

I bow to your superior knowledge Jock ...my opinion shall be removed forthwith !

Jeez when did you get so sensitive, I will remind you of this next time you are wading in on a thread. I thought you were a tough Geordie,

Are you denying my charge..........

Social source share

Oh....did someone mention my name......? :wink:

Oh yes LOL. That would be the time when I had a very viscous cold and had to clear my lungs of mucus over the Lincolnshire countryside, rolled the window down and attempted to do an impressive spit whilst going @ 60mph.

The way that snot left my my mouth and immediately blew back into the open rear window hitting Arthur Fenn directly in the mouth could probably never be replicated. A work of art really and a moment I know Arthur will cherish forever...... :lol:

Exploding balls and exploding snot. It's all the same to me Steve. As long as it explodes that is.

Ian D :D

No wonder you're banned from Lincolnshire Ian :thumbsup:

Social source share

Got my first 12" Groove Groove Melody copy from Italy , second one from France of all places , and yes it still is a tough one to track down. so 2 copies in West Yorkshire as well as Soth Yorkshire now Mart , also got the Italian CD which is easy to find on the net , so not jap cd only .

Martyn

Social source share

I agree with Jock!! :D JoLynn Murray - now there's a tune! :thumbup:

Cue all the Jolynn Murray white labels disappearing off the internet and loads of people going 'why have I bought an instrumental record with sax all over it and no vocals, where's Jolynn Murray' - that's what happened at the time. Derek Jack could spot the 'right' copy from about 20 feet lol

Edited by Sutty
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!