Where To Start? Djing?

Hello all,

I am potentially going to be DJing at some local nights in the comming months. I have some expierence of Djing, but that was just using MP3s at a small local soul night. What i am after is some advice on where to start when it comes to Djing using vinyl?

I have access to plenty of records from my dad, but will need to build up my own collection. But this is something i plan to do in the long term. I am confident in choosing a set as i have made plenty of playlist etc in the past for personal use.

My main concern is the fact i am going to need some mixing decks to practice at home with, so any suggestions on the affordable side?

Thanks

Social source share

Guest David Ryan

Technics all the way-I have a somewhat pricey Gemini mixer which to the trained ear is tinny as hell-yet I have a kam £10 off eBay which sounds better,my mate has a pioneer mixer which is by far the best I've used-dint skimp on the decks,technics you won't regret it

Social source share

Hello all,

I am potentially going to be DJing at some local nights in the comming months. I have some expierence of Djing, but that was just using MP3s at a small local soul night. What i am after is some advice on where to start when it comes to Djing using vinyl?

I have access to plenty of records from my dad, but will need to build up my own collection.

Thanks

Buy loads of original classics off me :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

kegsy

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest ashleysoul

ive got a pair of technics ive had for 20 years and they are as beautiful as the day i got 'em.

my advice, for what its worth, is to only have records that you know how they'll make a dancefloor work. the biggest mistake would be to get tonnes and tonnes in a panic cos in a few years you'll have shelves of the things. ultimately its quality not quantity, altho having loads does help in the long run...erm......ill go now....

Social source share

stick to technics decks..mite cost more to begin with but will last for ages...dont need a big mixer with lots on it especially for home use,ive just replaced my numark blue dog i bought about 13 years back and used everyday so would recommend numark..just bought the mk 3...

tunes..obviously stick to originals...lots of great tunes out there that wont break the bank both known classics and semi-known stuff...mix up your sets with a bit of both...IMO

buy a manship price guide,will help knowing whats original or not

DONT play when other nites are on local to you,try your best to work with other promoters

most of all ENJOY YOURSELF!

dean

Thanks for the detailed reply. I have had a search through ebay and added a few item to my watch list. I was after a fairly simple set up, not wanting to go for something over complex or expensive and not use it to its full potential. I cant see me doing any thing fancy for a fair while.

Like i say, i was going to try to stick to fairly well known stuff, with a few under played favorites thrown in. I'm not going to try and re-invent the wheel on my first few sets. I know what i like to dance to, so will stick with that thinking. I will buy the price guide.

I will only be playing with local promoters and Djs not trying to host a night.

Social source share

Guest ashleysoul

The price guide can be a bit misleading jordan, but get one, if only to stick in the loo.....

a good way to start is to get your own style 'soundwise'.....if you get my drift.

ultimately, enjoy yourself.

Social source share

generally there isnt a better deck than the 1200/1210 (dont bother with new you mark 3/4 or 5's - stick to the classics) but ive seen these and they are pretty good if you only want brand new.....

https://www.superfi.c...-turntable.aspx

I am not after brand new TBH, i cant afford it. Want to keep this cheap and see if it goes well first.

Can any one tell me where i could put a wanted advert on this forum for turntables, not sure which section is best?

Social source share

agree about the guide on prices but thats another debate!..if you wanna buy on a budget popsike site is a better guide to auction site sales at least...manships guide is however i believe essential for getting to know what to look out for as far as boots,reissues etc

I will have a look thanks!

Social source share

Guest ashleysoul

I am not after brand new TBH, i cant afford it. Want to keep this cheap and see if it goes well first.

Can any one tell me where i could put a wanted advert on this forum for turntables, not sure which section is best?

i would just head to ebay, a technics turntable is built like a tank, so you know what you are getting and they are going so cheap.bare in mind untill their untimely death the 1200's were still shipping for 7-800 a pair, now you can get them for about 350...utter bargain.

Social source share

Guest john s

If you can find a cheapish pair (which shouldn't be hard), I really wouldn't advise buying any decks other than Technics 1200/1210s.

Not only are they rock-solid (I've had mine since 1988, still absolutely fine), but they were industry-standard all around the world - which means there are masses of them out there, parts are easy to get, and they hold their value better than others.

I wouldn't recommend dropping a full crate of beer on one though - it can damage the arm. :(

Social source share

If people do have lists of original records, PM me. Im not going to be buying instantly as i want to put a together a select list of the tracks i want to hunt down and purchase before i going out and spend a fortune...

Hmmm... :g:

Maybe I'm old and cynical but I do get the whiff of wind up coming from somewhere .....................

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Hmmm... :g:

Maybe I'm old and cynical but I do get the whiff of wind up coming from somewhere .....................

I know what you mean.

You can't become a "Northern Soul" dj overnight by buying a load of records.

It's best to do a few years apprenticeship to find out what it's all about.

When I say years, I mean a lot of years.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

In some small towns & cities are 2nd hand shops called 'Cash Exchange' & 'Cash Converters'. They generally sell DJ kit, and its worth looking.

Be prepared to fork out for a new cartridge & stylus on top though - these are generally missng, and bulbs are not working anymore etc (a good haggling point!). Take someone with you who knows about 1210s/ decks:- the arm has to function correctly/ check the pitch and platter isnt completely shot. Its already been said, 1210s are generally bomb proof. But its worth looking in these sort of shops as an alternative to ebay if on a shoe string budget.

As for vinyl, it will come later! Hopefully your dad has some good classics to raid! And there is nothing like planning your own dream set(which varies as you hear more and widen your experience!) All the best.

Social source share

I know what you mean.

You can't become a "Northern Soul" dj overnight by buying a load of records.

It's best to do a few years apprenticeship to find out what it's all about.

When I say years, I mean a lot of years.

I understand what you are saying. I'm not expecting to become one of the top DJs because I'm going to buy a few records and a turntable. And I appreciate it takes years to build up a collection. Let me explain what happened, I played a set using my MP3 collection (I hear groans :P). I then get invited to DJ with another local promoter and DJ who run vinyl only nights, its something I'd like to pursue, but I don't have a collection (my dad does). Either way I'm looking for something to keep me off street corners over the winter, and my mum won't allow me too by another scooter ;)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

In some small towns & cities are 2nd hand shops called 'Cash Exchange' & 'Cash Converters'. They generally sell DJ kit, and its worth looking.

Be prepared to fork out for a new cartridge & stylus on top though - these are generally missng, and bulbs are not working anymore etc (a good haggling point!). Take someone with you who knows about 1210s/ decks:- the arm has to function correctly/ check the pitch and platter isnt completely shot. Its already been said, 1210s are generally bomb proof. But its worth looking in these sort of shops as an alternative to ebay if on a shoe string budget.

As for vinyl, it will come later! Hopefully your dad has some good classics to raid! And there is nothing like planning your own dream set(which varies as you hear more and widen your experience!) All the best.

Cheers, I will head into town later today maybe. Never thought of that.

Social source share

an alternative thought.

not sure why you need turntables at this stage

why not just spend the money ittl cost you to get that started on records that you like.

forget using your Dad's just get something of your own taste.

as somebody said earlier its not hard to get right. even one handed.

youve got 2 mins 30 to find the beginning of a record and turn it back a quarter turn. you can drink your pint with the remaining

2 minutes 20.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I understand what you are saying. I'm not expecting to become one of the top DJs because I'm going to buy a few records and a turntable. And I appreciate it takes years to build up a collection. Let me explain what happened, I played a set using my MP3 collection (I hear groans :P). I then get invited to DJ with another local promoter and DJ who run vinyl only nights, its something I'd like to pursue, but I don't have a collection (my dad does). Either way I'm looking for something to keep me off street corners over the winter, and my mum won't allow me too by another scooter ;)

I getcha. And good luck!

Social source share

an alternative thought.

not sure why you need turntables at this stage

why not just spend the money ittl cost you to get that started on records that you like.

forget using your Dad's just get something of your own taste.

as somebody said earlier its not hard to get right. even one handed.

youve got 2 mins 30 to find the beginning of a record and turn it back a quarter turn. you can drink your pint with the remaining

2 minutes 20.

..then of the 2 mins 20,change the record that's cued up for something else.Quick chat with someone about the previous record,thats back in the box somewhere.Change the record back to the first choice you had.

30 seconds left.Enjoy it. :thumbup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Shame about the Scooter, what happened did you have an accident?

Good luck and maybe see you DJ on the scooter scene, a lot friendlier than the soul scene :thumbsup:

Social source share

In terms of practice, it won't take long to master playing old 45s. It really doesn't get much easier. It's incredible how many people screw it up :lol:

agree amazing how many people mess it up..sometimes drink related though i think!...

techincal side should be easy to pick up....but.need to know your tunes,what follows what so your set flows from one sub genre of soul to another without sounding like a cd comp on random play...i reckon...thats where having some decks even cheap ones at home helps..can do it on one deck but not so much fun

Social source share

Every post so far seems to forget that a microphone should come into the equation of DJing :wicked:

To me one of the most important bits of kit, not a cheap argos/maplin bit of crap, get a good un,

If you're good at using one it comes naturally, some people mummble crap out of them you can't understand, some are masters at a craft. :thumbsup:

Can't see why people have overloked it so far ???? :g:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Hello all,

I have access to plenty of records from my dad, but will need to build up my own collection. But this is something i plan to do in the long term. I am confident in choosing a set as i have made plenty of playlist etc in the past for personal use.

My main concern is the fact i am going to need some mixing decks to practice at home with, so any suggestions on the affordable side?

Thanks

Buy a pair of trashed decks at a car boot and Bluetack coins to the cartridges for a bit of extra weight. Then ensure that your dad sees what your about to start playing his vinyl on. He should either lock his vinyl away or sort you out with some decent decks.

:hatsoff2: - Kev

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I don't know if money is an issue with you mate, but even in this hi tech day and age there must be people in your town with decks.

Ask around at your local disco gear shop. Rather then spend your hard earned someone might just let you practice on theirs so you get a feel for it.

As Tony A said a bit of mike practice won't hurt either.

That might be a cheaper option. Good luck.

Social source share

I don't know if money is an issue with you mate, but even in this hi tech day and age there must be people in your town with decks.

Ask around at your local disco gear shop. Rather then spend your hard earned someone might just let you practice on theirs so you get a feel for it.

As Tony A said a bit of mike practice won't hurt either.

That might be a cheaper option. Good luck.

Good advice, and if money's not an issue at the moment it will be once you start buying records!

Keep an eye on ebay for Stanton decks T92s or higher, they last forever and are very solid, as well as being able to pick them up for a third of the price of technics.

Social source share

Guest mcblade

I've done same as you, i.e. few spots on CD/MP3 (being honest, not bothered what it's on, OV, V, CD, Cassette, 8 Track) I go for the sounds and to dance to what I like to hear and not how much money a DJ spends on records.

Collected many years ago going back to late 70s and still have vinyl collection, some original, some pressings, some re-issues, some good, some commercial, some downright crap !! But I'm hearing stories that my 30+ years old pressings are unacceptable, therefore limited to what original's are in the box therefore I don't DJ in case some sooty or sweep character comes peering over decks and lambasting my Montclairs (Contempo) !!

In my humble opinion, DJ in general is about playing what your audience want and satisfying requests (if you've got it) and basically fill the dancefloor. In Northern Soul however, the term DJ has a slightly different meaning...as well as entertaining your audience with floorfillers, remember they have to be original vinyl floorfillers...so scan through your Dad's collection and take out (or borrow) what he'll let you. Then start building collection from there, learn your artists, know that David Ruffin was a Temptation, know that Levi Stubbs lead Four Tops blahdy blah. If you have a playlist, do your homework on the records you intend to play the year, bit about the artist etc and have this off pat when you lead in (or exit).

Regarding all this Original Vinyl business, I regularly attend functions and it's amazing how many original copies there are of Frank Wilson knocking around, or Inspirations, Jackie Day. If the request is Greater Experience, Bernie Williams, Billy Arnell,Yum Yums often met with haven't brought it or not got it. So basically you don't get to hear the request you wanted. Reconsider by Brenda Holloway is a mystery as my understanding is that it's never been released so how can anyone have the original !! Went to a big function with A-List DJ's and one particular DJ played Motown pop music what everyone has in box...not what I paid entry fee for, wanted or expected.

Personally speaking, enjoy yourself, and worry more about filling the floor than playing unheard of originals. Maybe have a theme, catchy name, something you wear, some jingle...but enjoy - good luck !!

(P.S. I may have a Technics deck for sale)

Social source share

I've done same as you, i.e. few spots on CD/MP3 (being honest, not bothered what it's on, OV, V, CD, Cassette, 8 Track) I go for the sounds and to dance to what I like to hear and not how much money a DJ spends on records.

Collected many years ago going back to late 70s and still have vinyl collection, some original, some pressings, some re-issues, some good, some commercial, some downright crap !! But I'm hearing stories that my 30+ years old pressings are unacceptable, therefore limited to what original's are in the box therefore I don't DJ in case some sooty or sweep character comes peering over decks and lambasting my Montclairs (Contempo) !!

In my humble opinion, DJ in general is about playing what your audience want and satisfying requests (if you've got it) and basically fill the dancefloor. In Northern Soul however, the term DJ has a slightly different meaning...as well as entertaining your audience with floorfillers, remember they have to be original vinyl floorfillers...so scan through your Dad's collection and take out (or borrow) what he'll let you. Then start building collection from there, learn your artists, know that David Ruffin was a Temptation, know that Levi Stubbs lead Four Tops blahdy blah. If you have a playlist, do your homework on the records you intend to play the year, bit about the artist etc and have this off pat when you lead in (or exit).

Regarding all this Original Vinyl business, I regularly attend functions and it's amazing how many original copies there are of Frank Wilson knocking around, or Inspirations, Jackie Day. If the request is Greater Experience, Bernie Williams, Billy Arnell,Yum Yums often met with haven't brought it or not got it. So basically you don't get to hear the request you wanted. Reconsider by Brenda Holloway is a mystery as my understanding is that it's never been released so how can anyone have the original !! Went to a big function with A-List DJ's and one particular DJ played Motown pop music what everyone has in box...not what I paid entry fee for, wanted or expected.

Personally speaking, enjoy yourself, and worry more about filling the floor than playing unheard of originals. Maybe have a theme, catchy name, something you wear, some jingle...but enjoy - good luck !!

(P.S. I may have a Technics deck for sale)

You may very well have opened a can of worms, good sir... :rofl:

Social source share

Guest mcblade

You may very well have opened a can of worms, good sir... :rofl:

well I am predominantly a punter and that's my take on things as a punter...too many do's clash, to many promoters, should all get heads together and fill the venues, apply across board music, mix of everything !!

Social source share

well I am predominantly a punter and that's my take on things as a punter...too many do's clash, to many promoters, should all get heads together and fill the venues, apply across board music, mix of everything !!

and the remedy, take up DJing and promote an event, even if you don't have the records :rolleyes::rofl:

Social source share

You are right. There are too many do's. But thats because over the past 10 or 15 years there have been too many people coming back on to the scene and suddenly deciding to become dj's and start their own do's.

This is not a criticism. It was bound to happen as more and more people returned to the scene.

Social source share

"You are right. There are too many do's. But thats because over the past 10 or 15 years there have been too many people coming back on to the scene and suddenly deciding to become dj's and start their own do's.

This is not a criticism. It was bound to happen as more and more people returned to the scene".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dunno about that - a lot of attendees seem to be people with no history on the scene treating it as some sort of middle aged disco.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

I thought everyone on the northern scene was a dj.Anyway the art of collecting is patiance this will reflect on your taste it's the same old eternal question like evolution verses creation or quality verses quantity .One of the best tips i can give you is to go to local gig's and see what get's them moving , one of the oldest dj's on the scene the sadly missed late Dereck Allen used to use the old tried and tested trick of "getting the gal's up first." He swore by getting the floor moving was to start with a few classic 70's track's slide into some Motown track's and then get the harder northern movers spinning a third through his spot he'd stick a couple of lesser played track's then finish with fifteen minutes of classics.above all make your collecting enjoyable and not hard work.There are loads of great original northern dancers out there for less than a tenner including Motown , the ric tic labels are allway's good foundation cheapies and go down well at oldie type night's perhaps a few of the new release previously unreleased track's are worth a mention and are a good collection builders remember an hour spot is around 22 45's so times that by 5 for a five hour spot.Don't get drawn into the exspencive stuff unless you really feel the need and remember collecting takes time look after your records and ask anyone on soul source for advise we will all help you.Good luck and enjoy yourself best regards Simon (if you find yourself in Derby and come to one of our R-n-B night's were all seasoned collectors and would be happy to spend time with you ) Get to a weekender.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!