Young Soulies Support Group

Guest Marc

Morning all, just feel the need to connect with some fellow soulies this morning.

Went out last night for some drinks with some friends from work, inevitably ended up in a club which was very (very) commercial, and I didn't know any of the songs! Inevitably every other person in the room knew every beat and every syllable of the lyrics - a very alienating feeling indeed.

Anyone else find themselves in the same situation often? The joke of 'Marc doesn't know any modern music - how funny!' is getting a little worn now....

Social source share

We've all been there mate, the reason most are into Soul music is that we couldnt handle the music n the 'divs' in normal clubs, just to let you know the illness gets proggresively worst the older you get, my advise is to emigrate to Manchester :lol:.

Good luck mate, you'll always have an understanding ear on SS.

Best Russ

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Duncan Ball

your looking at it all wrong mate,you should be proud you don't know these records and it should make you feel far superior to normal people!!!!!!!!!!! :yes:

Social source share

Morning all, just feel the need to connect with some fellow soulies this morning.

Went out last night for some drinks with some friends from work, inevitably ended up in a club which was very (very) commercial, and I didn't know any of the songs! Inevitably every other person in the room knew every beat and every syllable of the lyrics - a very alienating feeling indeed.

Anyone else find themselves in the same situation often? The joke of 'Marc doesn't know any modern music - how funny!' is getting a little worn now....

Don't go out with yer disco mates then. Get yersen off travelling to some all niters.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I always liked modern chart and indy type music too but concentrated more on the Northern end of it. I then found I had some catching up to do with some of the good ones I'd missed like say the Smiths but it was still great discovering them 5 years too late and it meant I didn't have to listen to the rubbish stuff by other groups who were bad flashes in the pan.

Social source share

I know the feeling as another "young soulie", Marc. I wouldn't get hung up on it. even if your friends are ribbing on you now about it, chances are you'll probably convert them to soulies in due time. its working with some of my good friends who never got into soul early on! by the way, did you ever find a club in your region from your previous post?

Edited by AndreasB
Social source share

Guest DeeJay

We've all been there mate, the reason most are into Soul music is that we couldnt handle the music n the 'divs' in normal clubs, just to let you know the illness gets proggresively worst the older you get, my advise is to emigrate to Manchester :lol:.

Good luck mate, you'll always have an understanding ear on SS.

Best Russ

Russ funny you should say that! i was thinking the same thing Although i obviously don't go to the "clubs" as much as i used to But as you say it does get progressively worse All I have to do is turn on the radio i have no idea whats going on!

DJ

Social source share

I know the feeling as another "young soulie", Marc. I wouldn't get hung up on it. even in your friends are ribbing on you now about it, chances are you'll probably convert them to soulies in due time. its working with some of my good friends who never got into soul early on! by the way, did you ever find a club in your region from your previous post?

I hope you're right!

Yeah there are a few around by the sounds of it although there might be some travelling involved to get to an allnighter...there was a guy in my city that I should contact actually, see if there's anything happening more locally.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!