Latin Northern Soul

Pk 22dj

not for me Latin'popcorn and R&b hate this sort record 'old fashioned 60's stompers and the midtempo stuff and bits of 70's will do me today and always :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm the same, all except the Latin. I went through a stage where I couldn't listen to enough of it, but just one or two through a whole night does me now. I couldn't listen to it all night.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 66
  • Views 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I suppose there are others but I would say 'Use It Before You Lose It' is a 'really' Latin record that has been played throughout the years (Post Stafford) Not sure if I'd descibeThe Majestics or David and Ruben as Latin though. 'Mongo Santamaria - We Got Latin Soul' is played, but it's not as well known on the whole.

All the best,

Marie Knight You lie so well is another well known soul tune that has a latin feel/arrangement without being a latin track.

Social source share

both cracking tracks!

here's an interesting one from a friend's recent sales list (gone now). definite audible warp on the record, but its an interesting piece of mellow/sweet soul from Panama.

thats really nice, loads of grt music from panama, what its called? -please

Social source share

thats really nice, loads of grt music from panama, what its called? -please

Los Mozambiques - I Like To Be With You

the label is called Happy, hehe

I showed it to another soul collector mate who told me it sounded like "wedding background music sh*t", to each their own but I think it has a really nice sweet soul edge to it.

Edited by AndreasB
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Some that i've spun down at Driving Beat from time to time, although i have to bow significantly to Rich Buckley's Latin Soul collection, it's immense and boy can he weave it into a soul set!

Joe Bataan - Gypsy woman

Joe Bataan - Too much lovin (this builds into a great soul dancer)

Ray Jay & The Eastsiders - Searching for love

Ricardo Ray - Nitty gritty (without doubt the epitome of 'latin northern', and cheap as chips)

Ray Rodriguez - Delusion (always played this off the LP, which is quite hard to source, but i'm after the oh so ellusive 7" if anyone has one?? Contrary to popular belief it IS on a 45!!)

Hector Rivera - Do it to me

Tony Middleton - Spanish maiden (mentioned already, but what a tune!!)

Azza

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Some that i've spun down at Driving Beat from time to time, although i have to bow significantly to Rich Buckley's Latin Soul collection, it's immense and boy can he weave it into a soul set!

Joe Bataan - Gypsy woman

Joe Bataan - Too much lovin (this builds into a great soul dancer)

some great picks there mate. I'll be spinning a few of the above in mucho latin sets at different strokes and the rugby

allnighter in November along with a great, exclusive, latin flavoured track by Tony Galla called 'Rescue me'. A blatant plug i know but if you wanna here some of this out in the near future you know where to head for.

Ray Jay & The Eastsiders - Searching for love

Ricardo Ray - Nitty gritty (without doubt the epitome of 'latin northern', and cheap as chips)

Ray Rodriguez - Delusion (always played this off the LP, which is quite hard to source, but i'm after the oh so ellusive 7" if anyone has one?? Contrary to popular belief it IS on a 45!!)

Hector Rivera - Do it to me

Tony Middleton - Spanish maiden (mentioned already, but what a tune!!)

Azza

Social source share

I suppose there are others but I would say 'Use It Before You Lose It' is a 'really' Latin record that has been played throughout the years (Post Stafford) Not sure if I'd descibeThe Majestics or David and Ruben as Latin though. 'Mongo Santamaria - We Got Latin Soul' is played, but it's not as well known on the whole.

All the best,

It's about opinions, and admittedly Bobby Valentin fits more obviously into the Latin genre than The Majestics, but for me the vocal delivery and backbeat of "....It Hurts Me" are pure latin in influence and you won't hear horns played like that on anything outside of hispanic music. Not to mention the hand clapping. If you listen to George Guzman - Misery on Fania it has a very similar salsa type back beat, if different tempo.

Eddie Davis recruited artists from the Chicano community for his family of labels in LA. The Majestics song is another example of that "Eastside" sound he developed to appeal to a wider market...I guess the string section makes a difference to the overall feel in this case. You also have to allow for regional differences, Fania being New York based, like the different sound compared with the San Antonio, Texas soul scene. Despite differences if you listen to the horn section of the Sunliners Band for example it's never going to be anything other than hispanic musicians but their music sounds different to Fania material.

Having said the above, if I was to attend a purely Latin event I probably wouldn't expect to hear The Majestics!

Just my opinion and I certainly don't want to impose.......it's all down to where you want to draw the line with these genre things. :)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert