Latin Northern Soul

Pk 22dj

I have to say I love that Latin American influence in some of our great Northern Soul tunes from days gone by, and would like to ask if anyone out there has ever heard " Tiajuana Joe" by J.B on Big 7 records, I did stick it on a free cd some 10yrs ago and it is still doing the rounds today. Not everyone's cup of tea but then again not many are, which is what makes our music what it is (unique and superior to all other types). So let me know what you know about this number. Cheers PK

Social source share

• Replies 66
  • Views 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I'm a fan of Latin soul,I only know the obvious like hector Rivera-chance for romance,tony Middleton-Spanish maiden... Is the tune you mention on YouTube?

I'm a fan of Latin soul,I only know the obvious like hector Rivera-chance for romance,tony Middleton-Spanish maiden... Is the tune you mention on YouTube?

Sorry for the delay if you send me your email I will send you an MP3 of the track, cheers PK

Social source share

Theres quite a few out there I like heres a couple

Black Sugar - Yoo Late

Joe Cuba - Sock it to me

both cracking tracks!

here's an interesting one from a friend's recent sales list (gone now). definite audible warp on the record, but its an interesting piece of mellow/sweet soul from Panama.

Social source share

If we're throwing examples into the mix I would like to suggest Ron & The Embracers You Came Into My Heart / Latin Blood. Both sides. They were reportedly an East L.A. group......like so many others. Obviously East L.A. throws up the usual familiar groups linked to the Faro/Rampart family of labels.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Two of my favourites. Got the latin bug from the 80's mod scene. Still can't shake it off.

Slow start on the Joe Bataan track but it kicks in nicely at the 3.58 mark.

Not sure if it is on the US copies but my London issue of the Riot! LP has a disclaimer stating "The riot is a song of joy and good feelings expressed through music and not of violence." Which beggs the question: why are the people on the cover brandishing knives bottles and sticks?

Social source share

Here's 3 I played in my set last night at Bradford............

Tony Middleton-Return To Spanish Harlem Speed

David Coleman-Drown My Heart Barry

The Check Mates-Hey Mrs. Jones (Part1) Arvee

Love a bit of Latin but I draw the line when the lyrics are in Spanish,I still want my Latin to have a soul element to it?

One I'd love to own.............Jack Costanzo-Don't Squeeze The Peaches

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by hullsoul
Social source share

Here's 3 I played in my set last night at Bradford............

Tony Middleton-Return To Spanish Harlem Speed

David Coleman-Drown My Heart Barry

The Check Mates-Hey Mrs. Jones (Part1) Arvee

Love a bit of Latin but I draw the line when the lyrics are in Spanish,I still want my Latin to have a soul element to it?

One I'd love to own.............Jack Costanzo-Don't Squeeze The Peaches

Cheers

Martyn

Looking at the cover, I would not be able to stop squeezing them "peaches" :wicked:

Social source share

latin has been a distinctive feature in my sets over the past couple of years. Here's some spins Ive beenig playing in my sets,

Black sugar- too late

Tony midleton- Spanish maiden

David Coleman- Drown my heart

Latin souls- you been talking bout me baby

Pete Terrace- We canm make it

Gloria Gaynor- Sorry

Jimmie love- two sides to every story.

Jonah Jones- what you are

Viva Boogaloo!

Social source share

some great latin mod R&B/boogaloo, recently sold on manship's auction:

Yes! - Some one else has heard of this record! lol - I paid £20.00 for it in 1988, which to me was an absolute fortune, I thought the record was 'quirky' and was great to play on the mod scene back then, that is when loads of Latin was being played and I believe also at The 100 Club, which is where the 'Burst of Latin' must have 'filtered down' from....I sold it in the mid 90's probably for something like £40.00......

.....Go on, lay it on me - How much did it sell for on John Manship's Auction?.... :(:D

All the best,

Len.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I cant see what is on the links.

Has anyone mention the tune popular at Stafford and ealy 100 clubs.

Bobby Valentin - Use It Before You Lose It.

Social source share

I cant see what is on the links.

Has anyone mention the tune popular at Stafford and ealy 100 clubs.

Bobby Valentin - Use It Before You Lose It.

No it hasn't been mentioned yet.....we all thought that far to obvious :lol::rofl::D - Only joking mate! lol - Ignore me, I'm just trying to be cool! :rofl:......

...Seriously though, 'Use It Before You Lose It' must be the 'one' latin record that has been played on the Soul Scene and 'stuck' if that makes sense. I still love it and like the fact we only hear it out every so often.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

Social source share

I've seen it go for upwards of £150 these days, though I can't remember what it sold for on Manship's.

That's not so bad then, that record really is an acquired taste mind, so probably wouldn't go for silly money although I believe it is quite rare.

All the best,

Len.

Social source share

and another !!

'kin brilliant record!....God this site is soooooo depressing sometimes.....I also used to have this. Wish I realised at that time, that records come back round to the front of ones mind aventually.

...and another....I also bl*ody sold! :(

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

On a roll now. Just played these two whilst doing the ironing!

Sorry if they seems to play a bit quiet.

I love this, it's so 'haunting', it could be used in a film like Pulp Fiction. It's one of two Latin records I actually kept, the other is Joe Bataan (Gypsy Woman)

The other side of this is a version of Len Barry's 123 (Is on mine anyway) Sorry, I couldn't find a clip for that.

Good choice.

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

I hope this record isn't too 'off topic' but these sounds have reminded me of 'a time' - I used to love 'hitting the boards' to this b*stard! :yes:.....and what a 'groovy' video!...

Yep, also sold it! lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT8tsDclHzU

Definatly off topic but Listen Here always got me on the dance floor. I sometimes managed to last the whole 9 minutes!

Edited by henrun
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

...Seriously though, 'Use It Before You Lose It' must be the 'one' latin record that has been played on the Soul Scene and 'stuck' if that makes sense. I still love it and like the fact we only hear it out every so often.

All the best,

Surely there are others that stuck, what about The Majestics/David and Ruben?

Social source share

I have to say I love that Latin American influence in some of our great Northern Soul tunes from days gone by, and would like to ask if anyone out there has ever heard " Tiajuana Joe" by J.B on Big 7 records, I did stick it on a free cd some 10yrs ago and it is still doing the rounds today. Not everyone's cup of tea but then again not many are, which is what makes our music what it is (unique and superior to all other types). So let me know what you know about this number. Cheers PK

not for me Latin'popcorn and R&b hate this sort record 'old fashioned 60's stompers and the midtempo stuff and bits of 70's will do me today and always :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Edited by giant
Social source share

Surely there are others that stuck, what about The Majestics/David and Ruben?

I suppose there are others but I would say 'Use It Before You Lose It' is a 'really' Latin record that has been played throughout the years (Post Stafford) Not sure if I'd descibeThe Majestics or David and Ruben as Latin though. 'Mongo Santamaria - We Got Latin Soul' is played, but it's not as well known on the whole.

All the best,

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert