Speeded Up Sounds

The Andy Rix article about FW reminded me that quite a few boots in the 70's were actualy speeded up to make them "more acceptable" to the dancers. Anyone got a list?

Can remember the Billy Paul track Let the dollar circulate being totally altered by being speeded up.

Just wonder as sounds have got slower has anyone slowed anything down on the decks?

This also brings to mind the golden moment in the 70's when Sam, after playing the almost undanceable (for us) but great fast track the Inticers Since you left, followed it with the Isleys Rumour baby at that time an album only track but he played it at 45rpm. Needles to say it cleared the floor for 30seconds before he realised.

Dave Banks

Social source share

The Soulmasters - I'll be waiting - Raven

This was actually PRESSED at the wrong speed (does sound a bit manic but tempo probably suited the messheads of the day) - one of the band members has sent me an mp3 when he re-edited it to the correct speed (bit slower obviously) and cleaned up the quality, will be playing this out on acetate at Bradford next week as it was orginially intended to be heard.

Social source share

The Soulmasters - I'll be waiting - Raven

This was actually PRESSED at the wrong speed (does sound a bit manic but tempo probably suited the messheads of the day) - one of the band members has sent me an mp3 when he re-edited it to the correct speed (bit slower obviously) and cleaned up the quality, will be playing this out on acetate at Bradford next week as it was orginially intended to be heard.

This is very interesting, I play mine at minus 2, sounds great along with Jamie Cole-Cleopatra at minus 10

Social source share

Aquarian Dream 'Look Ahead ' on 12" from the Phoenix double pack when played at 33 instead of 45 changes from a disco tune into a gospel sounding soul tune !

One of these discoverys at about 8 am :hypo: when the record was put on at the wrong speed and nobody noticed.

It became a bit of a party trick back in the day .

Edited by nickp
Social source share

Having djed for a long time I have always used the pitch control whenever i dj, obviously I'm not going to mess up a record by altering it unnecessarily, however sometimes the dancers dont quite appreciate the nuances and depth of a record at the normal speed.

Listening to the popcorn scene sound, which personally I love, but find a wee bit scary to watch the dancers doing that dance, to records that I have always put a uk style of dance to, ours is more personal and insular, theirs is shared and as a couple dancing together actually quite sweet.

In that scene , there seems to be a closeness in the dance which personally I cant remember because I was always into me

Edited by nickp
Social source share

The only record I've ever altered the pitch control on while DJing is the instrumental B-side of "Alone With No Love" by The Contemplations, as it appears to have been mastered at the wrong speed. It plays slow, so I used to play it at +1.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Are we talking about pitched up boots or changing the pitch of original records? If it's original records then I always pitch up Diane Lewis - Without Your Love by 4 or even 6 at allnighters....but I guess it's just where you're playing. Same with all records really imho.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!