Retrospective Boots

Dekka

Not too long ago I argued the toss that Johnnie Taylor - Blues in the Night - Stax was not a boot

It was released officially by stax in 2006.

I conceded the point as it was retrospective it must be a boot.

I immediately bought the album.

R.L Burnside has had a release of 'it's bad you know' on Pyramid records someone is selling this record for £50

I immediately flagged it as a boot.

Pikeys dog argued that it isn't a boot and immediately cited kent etc.

I say all records that are not original vinyl are boots, anyone else agree.

After all would you play out kent, Grapevine etc at an OVO event, I certainly would not

Social source share

That's totally wrong. Anyone who agrees with you is wrong.

A bootleg is an illegitimately produced record done without having cleared rights etc.

Reissues or as you call them "retrospective releases" does not automatically become boots/bootlegs.

This has nothing to do with whether or not you want to "play out" a bootleg or reissue while DJing. That's an entirely different discussion.

Edited by Sebastian
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Brett F

Ridiculous statement, legitimate re-issues are not boots, plus many fantastic previously unreleased tracks have been put out by both Kent/Ace and numerous other companies. This post is quite ignorant of this music scene, whatever OVO guide for dummies you're reading from I'd suggest you bin it.

Social source share

The term 'Bootleg' when used in relation to vinyl 45rpm records means that the said item is a product of the practice of counterfeiting. Any record that is released legally, regardless of it not being the first time of release, is not a counterfeit, therefore it is not a bootleg. If you prefer to play first issues, fair enough, but that doesn't make every reissue a 'boot', that's somewhat of an extreme view in my opinion.

Cheers

Mr. Logic :)

Social source share

After all would you play out kent, Grapevine etc at an OVO event, I certainly would not

A bit harsh and also plain wrong.

Companies like Kent work hard to ensure that the people who own the work get any monies they are due and can hardly be called bootleggers. Hence their product aren't boots.

What if a record is previously unreleased and the Kent/whoever copy is the first vinyl release - such as Chuck Jackson's 'What's With This Loneliness?'

I'd happily play out a record such as that as it's the first legitimate release on vinyl.

Social source share

A bit harsh and also plain wrong.

Companies like Kent work hard to ensure that the people who own the work get any monies they are due and can hardly be called bootleggers. Hence their product aren't boots.

What if a record is previously unreleased and the Kent/whoever copy is the first vinyl release - such as Chuck Jackson's 'What's With This Loneliness?'

I'd happily play out a record such as that as it's the first legitimate release on vinyl.

But that makes it original vinyl, thats my point.

fat possum LP was released in 1998, that is the original, pyramid is a boot

Social source share

Ridiculous statement, legitimate re-issues are not boots, plus many fantastic previously unreleased tracks have been put out by both Kent/Ace and numerous other companies. This post is quite ignorant of this music scene, whatever OVO guide for dummies you're reading from I'd suggest you bin it.

wasn't talking about unreleased, read the post

Talking specifically about retrospective i.e popular album track being pressed 'booted' as a single

Social source share

Not too long ago I argued the toss that Johnnie Taylor - Blues in the Night - Stax was not a boot

It was released officially by stax in 2006.

I conceded the point as it was retrospective it must be a boot.

Using this logic ALL the early Stateside, London American etc releases are boots then.

kegsy

Social source share

wasn't talking about unreleased, read the post

Talking specifically about retrospective i.e popular album track being pressed 'booted' as a single

How do you view the UK single release of "Baby Hit & Run" by The Contours ?

Released purely via demand from the northern scene.

Social source share

Sebastian hit the nail on the head with the first reply. Central to this is a misunderstanding by the original poster of what a 'boot' is.

A US release issued legitimately in the UK (or any other country) is not a boot.

A 45 repressed in a market to cater for demand is a reissue.

An illegally pressed record is a boot.

The word 'boot' comes from 'bootleg', which originally referred to illegal bottles of hooch hidden inside the bootlegs of smugglers.

You've got your reissues and boots mixed up so badly that you need resouling!

Social source share

Singles released retrospectively from albums, 'cashing in' are and I don't care how you dress them up

are Boots.

Brilliant, it was odds-on that that would be your ultimate answer to all those reasoned replies . If I was to write a play about all that's ridiculous about the northern soul scene, you would be my number one inspiration for the lead character, good work. :rofl::lol:

Edited by Roger Williams
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Singles released retrospectively from albums, 'cashing in' are and I don't care how you dress them up

are Boots.

so, that makes an original a.b.c. copy of the natural four -" i thought you were mine" a boot, as it was taken from the "good vibes" album, glad weve got that cleared up

Edited by trev thomas
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

so, that makes an original a.b.c. copy of the natural four - i thought you were mine a boot, as it was taken from the "good vibes" album, glad weve got that cleared up

No ,that's a re-working of the Boola Boola tune Trev isn't it?.Here to help :lol: .

Dekka,have a lie down mate. :thumbsup:

Social source share

No ,that's a re-working of the Boola Boola tune Trev isn't it?.Here to help :lol: .

Dekka,have a lie down mate. :thumbsup:

a re-working of a tune previously released on another label, taken from a album....., robbing bastards cashing in and dressing it up........bloody bootleg,

Edited by trev thomas
  • Helpful 2
Social source share