Jackie Wilson Question

Wilxy

Whilst I appreciate Jackie Wilson was born,bred,and sadly died In Detroit, could anyone enlighten me apart from his early collaborations with Berry Gordy, which of his mid to late 60's/early 70's recordings were actually produced in Detroit? I know several of his releases are credited to Sonny Sanders, and that Higher and Higher/I'm the one to do it were produced with the Funk Brothers and the Andantes albeit this apparently was recorded in New York?

I'd be extremely grateful for any feedback :yes:

Thanx wilxy :hatsoff2:

Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

'Higher and higher' was recorded at United Sound System in Detroit, as were many Brunswick, Chess/Checker etc. recordings. According to Ed Wolfrum, many companies came to Detroit to record because of the Funk Brothers. Jim Webb's 'McArthur Park' track was recorded at United too!!

Social source share

'Higher and higher' was recorded at United Sound System in Detroit, as were many Brunswick, Chess/Checker etc. recordings. According to Ed Wolfrum, many companies came to Detroit to record because of the Funk Brothers. Jim Webb's 'McArthur Park' track was recorded at United too!!

I have always read that certain Funk Brothers (James Jamerson, Pistol Allen and a few others "hopped in the van" and drove to Chicago" to record for Carl Davis, on "Higher and Higher" and a few other Jackie Wilson cuts. I think we need to have more clarification here as to just what was recorded at United Sound (perhaps just some overdubbing or late mixing? As far as I remember, most of their work for Carl Davis and Brunswick occurred in Chicago. Of course, starting in early-mid 1965 or so, most of Sonny Sanders' work was done in Chicago. I have read that The Andantes also did some moonlighting in Chicago. There was a LOT of movement back and forth in the music industry between both of those cities. During the early '60s, Motown went to Chicago to have Riley Hampton arrange their strings and other complicated arrangements.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for clearing that up, Rob. There have been rumours for years about exactly what happened when, and people writing articles stating so-called "facts" that turn out to be inaccurate or downright false. I also read that "You Showed Me How to be Happy" was recorded using The Funk Brothers and The Andantes,

Social source share

On a vaguely similar Jackie Wilson theme, I've also wondered why there are seemingly so few photographs (ie either press, publicity or news print media) of Jackie from his soul years (let's say '66-75) other than that same very well known one from '66-'67 of Jackie cupping his hand to his mouth ???

Also seemingly so little video and film footage from the soul years. To my knowledge , there are no contemporary clips ( on youtube at least ) of Jackie doing his three biggest hits from the soul years - Whispers, Higher & Higher and Sweetest Feeling ??? There is an appearance he did on a Jerry Lee Lewis special from the early 70s but precious little else .

Sure everyone knows the story of how manager Nat Tarnopol ruled Jackie with an iron fist but that still doesn't explain the lack of visual material of Jackie through those soul years ???

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert