Dancing In The Street Instrumental ?

Guest martyn

Guest martyn

Looking back in an old notebook I turned up ( from 1977 in with junk from garage), was a list of sounds Soul Sam had played in his spot at St Ives in that August. Amonst all the cover ups we now know was 'The Les Ellison Orchestra - Dancing In The Street' .Now assuming that this was the same motown tune we all know, it can't have been The Funk Brothers because everyone would have known it . So, was it one of those Seaburg Spotlight Band duke box sounds or a compleatly different tune ?....Anyone ? :g:

Edited by martyn
Social source share

Looking back in an old notebook I turned up ( from 1977 in with junk from garage), was a list of sounds Soul Sam had played in his spot at St Ives in that August. Amonst all the cover ups we now know was 'The Les Ellison Orchestra - Dancing In The Street' .Now assuming that this was the same motown tune we all know, it can't have been The Funk Brothers because everyone would have known it . So, was it one of those Seaburg Spotlight Band duke box sounds or a compleatly different tune ?....Anyone ? :g:

More likely to be someone like Mike Mansfield off one of those groovy instrumental LP's - his backing track to Love Affair - Everlasting Love was played!

Social source share

Guest martyn

More likely to be someone like Mike Mansfield off one of those groovy instrumental LP's - his backing track to Love Affair - Everlasting Love was played!

Thanks Pete & Epic. Will keep an eye out for the Detrot LP & Mike Mansfield :thumbsup:

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL The record you are thinking about was on the STUDIO2 LP, other instrumentals come from a CONTOR LP, BAND OF GOLD & TEARS OF A CLOWN,

However these were played in 73/4... dancing in the street also come out on HIT US45, MIKE MANSFIELD did record it also,

most instrumentals were found on LP's :ohmy: DAVE

Social source share

Guest martyn

:hatsoff2: HI ALL The record you are thinking about was on the STUDIO2 LP, other instrumentals come from a CONTOR LP, BAND OF GOLD & TEARS OF A CLOWN,

However these were played in 73/4... dancing in the street also come out on HIT US45, MIKE MANSFIELD did record it also,

most instrumentals were found on LP's :ohmy: DAVE

Cheers Dave, was the Studio 2 LP a legit release & on what label ?

Social source share

Cheers Dave, was the Studio 2 LP a legit release & on what label ?

:hatsoff2: HI MARTYN The LP was on the STUDIO 2 LABEL(EMI) this had the "BAND OF GOLD"inst, the LP that has DANCING IN THE STREET + TEARS OF A CLOWN INST,

WAS ON CONTOUR called the DETROIT SOUND, SORRY POOR SCAN/

These LPS were popular late 72 up until WIGAN OPENED? :ohmy: DAVE

post-13241-0-09353800-1349215925_thumb.jpost-13241-0-69202800-1349215928_thumb.jpost-13241-0-56590600-1349215933_thumb.jpost-13241-0-70697700-1349215937_thumb.j

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI MARTYN The LP was on the STUDIO 2 LABEL(EMI) this had the "BAND OF GOLD"inst, the LP that has DANCING IN THE STREET + TEARS OF A CLOWN INST,

WAS ON CONTOUR called the DETROIT SOUND, SORRY POOR SCAN/

These LPS were popular late 72 up until WIGAN OPENED? :ohmy: DAVE

post-13241-0-09353800-1349215925_thumb.jpost-13241-0-69202800-1349215928_thumb.jpost-13241-0-56590600-1349215933_thumb.jpost-13241-0-70697700-1349215937_thumb.j

Hi Dave,

the Tears of a clown inst was a big play early days at Wigan.

ATB

Tony

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest martyn

R.Searling, also played an inst, covered up, as Detroit Brass( also a brassy version), it was actually, la bert ellis on A&M.

la bert ellis isnt a million miles off of Les Ellison ....perhaps I wrote it down wrong & Sam had said Ellis on A&M ? ....If of course they/he did Dancing In The Street too

Social source share

Hi Dave,

the Tears of a clown inst was a big play early days at Wigan.

ATB

Tony

:hatsoff2: HI TONY Yes it was the very same track from the LP, however they trimmed the LP down to 8", I think Russ played it, the LP come out in 71, BAND OF GOLD Inst was good, TEARS OF A CLOWN still sounds good, and could make a good mix with the SMOKEY 45, As for quality 45s I have "working in a coalmine" 1st class Hammond instrumental, however from all the years trawling obscure LPs KEITH MANSFIELD - BOOGALOO - EPIC 5-10504 B, Is the very best unissued in the UK, This excellent instrumental won't disappoint, scan only sorry it's on youtube DAVE

post-13241-0-88900700-1349301059_thumb.j

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI TONY Yes it was the very same track from the LP, however they trimmed the LP down to 8", I think Russ played it, the LP come out in 71, BAND OF GOLD Inst was good, TEARS OF A CLOWN still sounds good, and could make a good mix with the SMOKEY 45, As for quality 45s I have "working in a coalmine" 1st class Hammond instrumental, however from all the years trawling obscure LPs KEITH MANSFIELD - BOOGALOO - EPIC 5-10504 B, Is the very best unissued in the UK, This excellent instrumental won't disappoint, scan only sorry it's on youtube DAVE

post-13241-0-88900700-1349301059_thumb.j

Social source share

No which record - not which track is shocking .....Or have I got the wrong end of the stick :huh:

Yeah / no / I don't know what you were asking me. :lol:

I said I found that crappy Motown instrumentals LP yesterday, which I put a picture up of and said was shocking.

Then you said which one, which I took to meant, which track is shocking.

So I said "all of them".

Social source share

Guest martyn

Yeah / no / I don't know what you were asking me. :lol:

I said I found that crappy Motown instrumentals LP yesterday, which I put a picture up of and said was shocking.

Then you said which one, which I took to meant, which track is shocking.

So I said "all of them".

:lol: :lol: OK, I got it now ! Its the Motown LP you found rather than the Keith Mansfield one ! :D .....Nearly ended up in one of those weird 6:30 AM conversations I used to get into in the record bar at Wigan when I'd had too much 'goodness' :ohmy:

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL,,,PETE I thought you meant the Mike Mansfield LP, The last copy I sold was last year £100,

however i have seen it sell for £15 & £200+ mad, the 45 I have must be worth £40, not that I would sell my copy, it's to rare to flog,

TALKING of DANCING IN THE STREET! On this Iconic LP,by Jack Hawkins, recorded at BLACKPOOL MECCA TRACK #2 SIDE 1, 30-60-90 is from the GET CARTER FILM, Thus making the LP collectible,

this LP is a must some of the music would fall into PETES awful cat, however with the GET CARTER CONEX

the quality seems to improve somewhat, a bit like a UK DEMO sounds better than a ISSUE, OR IS THAT JUST ME? :rofl: NICE SCANS FOR YOU TO LOOK AT???? :lol: DAVEpost-13241-0-34287300-1349493823_thumb.jpost-13241-0-47965900-1349493827_thumb.jpost-13241-0-16768600-1349493816_thumb.jpost-13241-0-62012700-1349493819_thumb.j

Social source share

I have this one Dave.The Get Carter theme was released as a Pye 45 with pic cvr.The track on this lp is based around 30 60 90 by Willie Mitchell.You have the first pressing there..it was later released on Windmill.Didn't know it was recorded st the Mecca though.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

s :hatsoff2: HI CHEERS FOR THE INFO "NOT A LOTTA PEOPLE NO THAT?" :) The classic film "GET CARTER" comes from the ear tattood on my arm 1969, for many people back in the 1980s watching it on a VHS, many people who collected music, wanted the "GET CARTER" Score up until then our world of collecting as eclectic as it was back then, relied on info sharing and knowlage colation, as it was HIP not to disclose the knowlage, we all plated "FO FO" (Fof & find out youself) some one told me it does exist on a JAP LABEL £300+. & LONG DELETED, Once we entered the digital world 1982 we d CD's and that caused mayhem? as rare records come out day after day, "get carter" has been about for 10 years, the ROY BUD 45 has a good repro on blue PYE & can be heard on the most bizzare TV programes, some great music out there in the world

:rofl: DAVE

Social source share

Yes D the Jap lp is legendary...in the eighties we all had to make do with the Roy Budd rEly 7 ts compilation lp.The Carter 45 orig Pye 45 can be found with and without pic cvr.The other chased after 45 was Frog with the Psychomania theme on That UK early seventies label that had Tony and Tyrone on it..I'm.still after Witchunt.The music was dine by Soundtrack composer John Cameron who released the Afro Rock lp on Kpm

• Helpful 1
Social source share

of course the genuine backing track turned up almost 10 years ago now, on a set of karaoke cds issued by singing machine out of miami, florida...import only....i remember richard telling me he found the complete set of them in a walmart whilst on holiday!,...thats where "nowhere to run" came from....when richard heard it he totally flipped....also includes this old heart of mine, shake me, get ready etc...just a shame it took forty years for these to materialise, nevertherless we have harry weinger, motown's emminent historian to thank for putting the record straight.

Social source share

Guest martyn

of course the genuine backing track turned up almost 10 years ago now, on a set of karaoke cds issued by singing machine out of miami, florida...import only....i remember richard telling me he found the complete set of them in a walmart whilst on holiday!,...thats where "nowhere to run" came from....when richard heard it he totally flipped....also includes this old heart of mine, shake me, get ready etc...just a shame it took forty years for these to materialise, nevertherless we have harry weinger, motown's emminent historian to thank for putting the record straight.

Were the original backing tracks credited to any musicians on the CDs ?....Some of the Seeburg discs were VERY similar IMO & I did wonder if some of those were the original Motown backings ( thogh some obviously not)

Social source share

got to be honest martin, the sleevenotes are all identicle in each cd, basically because it was about the fact that original backing tracks were being used for the first time anywhere in the world on a karaoke cd, and with the blessing of universal...they were all about trumpeting that fact, as opposed to indepth details about the creators of the music, i know that this will probably result in head shaking again, yet another missed opportunity, but in contrast to that, the punter was getting the genuine article minus the familiar voices...so you get to hear earl, james and benny at work, displaying their unique talents....nonemoreso than on "nowhere to run"...outstanding workmanship and miles better than the seeburg spotlight band. you know....i dont know if theyre available anymore, as they were never issued here...ive got all twelve.....the only thing missing from the complete set is the limited edition jukebox which you could put them in, complete with the motown logo on the front. record collector did a big article on the promotion at the time, thats how i got to purchase them.

Social source share

Yes D the Jap lp is legendary...in the eighties we all had to make do with the Roy Budd rEly 7 ts compilation lp.The Carter 45 orig Pye 45 can be found with and without pic cvr.The other chased after 45 was Frog with the Psychomania theme on That UK early seventies label that had Tony and Tyrone on it..I'm.still after Witch Hunt.The music was dine by Soundtrack composer John Cameron who released the Afro Rock lp on Kpm

:hatsoff2: HI WIGGY Thanks for responding and as I say collecting world music Afro, soundtrax,& KPM LP'S can be expensive

Mind you at Wolves record fair last SATURDAY I noticed about 15 KPM LPs some were only £5, sadly no MO HAWK though?

over the last few years there have been some ex reissues of rare stuff, all cheap and all worth getting? :rofl: DAVE

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!