What The Twisted Wheel,give The Soul Scene

Great stuff a few correction on the first link Brian Smith was the photographer,Ollie Ollerton DJ'd 67/68 and Rob Bellars never DJ'd he shared a collection with Phil Saxe.For anyone who might be interested.

Not read the other stuff but Playlists will always miss a lot of tunes out but will show a great diversity in the early years

Edited by bri. phill
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Those early Twisted Wheel playlists are interesting as they are very similar to the tunes played at London clubs like the Scene from 1963 onwards when there was a preponderance of rhythm and blues played that gradually led on to soul as we define it now.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Spot on Geoff , when I have spoken to Brian about it he recalls Brazenose street as being more about an appreciation for those moody bluesy type sounds for example Sonny Boy Williamson Help me.

It now all makes sense he and his pals had this infatuation with the George Raft look guys were so smart in the early 70's carrying this look of long overcoats parallel trousers/suits ,ties , button down

shirts and those cut off v neck sweaters. Brolly was king along with well polished oxfords. The sight

of a group of lads dressed this way was a sight to behold :) I recall razor partings too.

I think I think I may have Brian's passport picture 1970 where you can clearly see a college boy look, see if i can dig it out and post it up.

post-9590-0-35296000-1349129313_thumb.jp

Edited by Anais nin
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!