Big European Plays

Barry

I'm off to Cologne again next week...I don't expect a northern soul gig....to me its like The Windsor suite at Stoke.It's another scene entirely a bit like the 80 s rare groove scene in vibe...to compare it to the UK northern soul scene with 40 years of history and evolution is wrong.

Social source share

I don't know who you are johnmcc/ You obviously don't know me very well .

I do try and be constructive in my comments and I would like to be taken seriously , even though why I bother even trying to make sense of someone that is just a pure antagonist really does bug me.

I would like to see you ask the other guys that have sort of said the same as me to "get a room" .. but you wouldn't would you because I am an easy target for a big guy like you.

Pathetic ...

Apologies An,

My pathetic attempt at humour was based on;

a) Anais Nin was a French writer of erotic literature, renowned in Europe.

b) The Hurting Is Over - Arthur Willis.

c) My perception of unresolved tension between your good self and Gordon.

Apologies once more, John

PS. The best tunes I heard in Europe were the same as the best tunes I've heard in the UK (played by Butch).

Social source share

Some of the best nights i've been to have been in Spain and having met guys from the rest of Europe know that their knowledge and records are excellent. As pointed out by Dave none of the shit baggage and a real sense of mixing it up. I imagine a lot of the oldies only 'play something I like' crowd would hate it. Which is good.

Most importantly they are really friendly, lovely people and a great craic.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I'm off to Soul City in Cologne this week ...I don't see it as a northern soul gig or part of the northern soul scene...just enjoyable music.I also love the northern scene with its 40 years of baggage..a scene with a lot of old suitcases to rummage through...two different scenes.

Social source share

In Spain, the ones I've been to, were small to medium size venues (S.O.U.L. Luanco, Euroyeye Gijón, Magic Soul Madrid, Movin' On Barcelona), usually 70s vintage discotheques with lots of mirrors and parquet floors. I've never been to Soul4Real Bilbao, but I've stayed in the hotel where they hold the event, and it's your typical pokey 70s discotheque type venue. I think Dani & Albert's Big Thing event in Valencia is along the same lines. I think there's much to be said for a hotel based venue for weekender events, though I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, especially those who like the drill halls and community centres we grew up with in the UK. Not sure which 'big European events' are being referred to here.

Social source share

just got back from one of Germanys BEST events...the Hamburg Soulweekender. In its sixth year. Two nights in a wigan-like 100+ years old dance hall, one alldayer, followed by a massive sea boat cruise on two boats on sunday and to top it all a farewell party on sunday night. loads of our English and Scottsih friends joined the 600 other people who came to enjoy the world of Soul. Words can only fail to describe, you really have to be there. So make a mark in your diary for next years october already ;)

• Helpful 3
Social source share

after this past weekend, we now have another great night here in copenhagen that I'm proud to say I've started; Delegates Of Soul.

great venue with wonderful sound and a wooden floor, and DJs from all of Denmark's best clubs. we had such a wonderful mix of music, with true 60's northern soul being most in the forefront but some great and rare 70's crossover/modern, some funkier sides, all wonderful and keeping the floor going. I will try to get some playlists from the other DJs if people are interested, but here are some of my selections from the night, in no particular order:

carrie cleveland - make love to me (audio ent)

don bryant - coming on strong (hi)

ann sexton - you've been gone too long (seventy 7)

mighty marvellows - talkin bout you baby (abc)

sylvia thomas - at last (bamboo)

exsaveyons - I don't love you no more (smoke)

brothers of soul - come on back (boo)

melvin davis - save it (mala)

imperial wonders - trying to get to you (black prince)

gwen owens - just say you're wanted (velgo 2nd)

gene chandler - after the laughter (checker)

johnny gilliam - its over (cancer)

ethics - look at me now (vent)

tnt band - the meditation (cotique)

betty everett - getting mighty crowded (vee jay)

bobby dixon - woman you made me (abc probe)

witches & the warlock - behind locked doors (sew city)

barbara randolph - i got a feeling (soul)

sandy brockington - it was you (bengee)

del larks - job opening (queen city)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

because i,ve been about long enough and seen enough venues fall by the wayside because of this type of music policy....if it works in europe then fine....that was my original point......across the board = no need to try

Why oh why are you bleating on Tezza, and others, its quite simple in the title....

Some of us just want to know whats being played at soul events in Europe and what goes down well.... Be that a soul night/ all niter/ weekender....

Alll this other bleating is just other topics going round in circles :sleep3: :sleep3:

Just leave the folk from Euro events or those from the uk who travel to let people know whats going on music wise around the globe....

If any folk aint no interest in whats going on in Europe etc then just butt out...

Just give us one little topic without all the same shite spouted please...

simples....

Edited by little-stevie
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Apologies An,

My pathetic attempt at humour was based on;

a) Anais Nin was a French writer of erotic literature, renowned in Europe.

b) The Hurting Is Over - Arthur Willis.

c) My perception of unresolved tension between your good self and Gordon.

Apologies once more, John

PS. The best tunes I heard in Europe were the same as the best tunes I've heard in the UK (played by Butch).

Hey ....what about me wheres my appology you,ve hurt my feelings.....you big man...great big man

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!