Big European Plays

Barry

Could anyone give me some stuff that has gone big on the continent - I see a lot of stuff around that I wasn't aware of, that seems to get plays in Europe as opposed to here.

I don't even know if I'm right>

Haha - any info gratefully received.

On a slightly different note, do European venues have the same/similar

rarity/value based playlists that many venues over here have.

Have most european attendees ever heard many of what we

would class as classic oldies or older semi known records ?.

kegsy

Social source share

Kegsy, I think you'll find that most of the European guys are well clued up about all aspects and genres of our scene. They may not carry the baggage and politics of who played what, where and first or oldies versus progressive, Wigan, Torch, wheel blah, blah etc, but what they have is a real open mindedness when it comes to DJing and dancing. They will mix up styles and they will dance to tunes they aren't familiar with, so the dancefloors are busy. They also own some of the most in demand and desireable tunes in the world.

Jordi

Thats good to hear, as some of the politics/oldies/rarity/value shit over

here is making a joke of the scene.

Kegsy

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Kegsy, I think you'll find that most of the European guys are well clued up about all aspects and genres of our scene. They may not carry the baggage and politics of who played what, where and first or oldies versus progressive, Wigan, Torch, wheel blah, blah etc, but what they have is a real open mindedness when it comes to DJing and dancing. They will mix up styles and they will dance to tunes they aren't familiar with, so the dancefloors are busy. They also own some of the most in demand and desireable tunes in the world.

Jordi

spot on again, jordi lad.....only have to look at some of the playlists posted on here from euro gigs to see tons of rare stuff that dont exist in boxes here.....so we haven't cornered the market as we've misguidely suspected for so long...and some of these guys ( and gals ) have got superb taste.

Edited by AGENTSMITH
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Jordi

I'd agree with that, I found the attitude in both Spain and Italy to be spot on. What I found both most surprising and welcome was when I played something that i thought was the first time in the chosen country they went mental for it, really refreshing

Social source share

Not sure what's massive in Europe and not here etc.

But over the last few years have heard German,Spanish Belgian ,Italian and Sweedish DJs at events and they've all been pretty good with a lot of rare quality stuff.

At the next No way out in November Mr Mojo (top notch)(Germany) and Mr Fine Wine are on should well be worth a visit.

Brian

Social source share

Any playlists anywhere?

I just did a search but can't find any for some of the Scandinavian guys/girls, Helena etc. They used to put mixes on their web sites, and they were awesome, Not Northern but they know their onions in that world also. The just play soulful dance music (without the capital N) from 60's 70's and 80's,, I especially like they favour the 80's equally, you would love it Barry.

Look on here for the Bamberg playlists, not sure if many did them to be honest and cannot find them at the moment. Again across the spectrum, and Butch and Dave T in particular just blow it away with very different selections from here, across the decades, really show just how miles ahead in the UK game they both are in playing across the spectrum. Completely matched though by "locals" (i.e. Non Brits) like Malayka, Lars, Marc Forrest and Brad Hales, who I always thought was just 60's but he blew the "modern" room away. Just so much music I don't know there.

And in both of occasions above all fanatical collectors looking for the next possible dance sensation!

I think each event seems to vary in its amount of straight ahead Northern but if nothing else the ones I go to are full of young attractive people.... remember that??

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Check out the Oslo Soul Experience lads, awesome playlists across the board and a refreshing approach to the music. I know several of the old firm from this side of the pond who have been to the club and have come back raving about the experience. They have a vid on youtube too.

Social source share

I just did a search but can't find any for some of the Scandinavian guys/girls, Helena etc. They used to put mixes on their web sites, and they were awesome,

Don't know if it's of any interest, but the night called Function which Helena, myself, Jonte and Joppe ran for 5 years here in Malmoe, Sweden is no more. But the website is still there with playlists:

https://www.clubfunction.com/#category4

and mixes/podcasts:

https://www.clubfunction.com/#category1

Myself, Helena and Jonte are currently running a new night called Soulin' at a new venue, but we don't have a website (just a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/soulinmalmo ) and haven't really been good at posting playlists as of late. Will have to do better with that. :)

My own mixes can be found here, they are representative of what I play when DJing:

https://www.shingaling.com/

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Not sure what's massive in Europe and not here etc.

But over the last few years have heard German,Spanish Belgian ,Italian and Sweedish DJs at events and they've all been pretty good with a lot of rare quality stuff.

At the next No way out in November Mr Mojo (top notch)(Germany) and Mr Fine Wine are on should well be worth a visit.

Brian

I'm on as well. :ohmy::yes::wave::tumbleweed3::D

Social source share

Check out the Oslo Soul Experience lads, awesome playlists across the board and a refreshing approach to the music. I know several of the old firm from this side of the pond who have been to the club and have come back raving about the experience. They have a vid on youtube too.

I'll second that. Quality nights, quality records, quality experience.

That goes for Klubb Magnus too. :thumbsup:

Edited by denbo
Social source share

Don't know if it's of any interest, but the night called Function which Helena, myself, Jonte and Joppe ran for 5 years here in Malmoe, Sweden is no more. But the website is still there with playlists:https://www.clubfunction.com/#category4and mixes/podcasts:https://www.clubfunction.com/#category1Myself, Helena and Jonte are currently running a new night called Soulin' at a new venue, but we don't have a website (just a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/soulinmalmo ) and haven't really been good at posting playlists as of late. Will have to do better with that. :)My own mixes can be found here, they are representative of what I play when DJing:https://www.shingaling.com/

Thats the ones I was meaning, thought the Oslo soul guys also had something up?

Fantastic taste from all of you guys and gal!

Sure the current funky fad boys on these shores are tipping their cap to you guys as inspiration although suspect the 80's stuff won't come back here sadly. :D

Edited by jocko
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Think you will find a bit of politics if you look hard enough :yes: one important thing is everybody supports each others events,meaning you will see dj´s at places even when they are not on

Steve

Over here it just don,t happen (odd exceptions..err very odd).......if they ain,t djing they ain,t going it,s a way of life........how you doing me old gloucestershire dumpling lol

Social source share

Over here it just don,t happen (odd exceptions..err very odd).......if they ain,t djing they ain,t going it,s a way of life........how you doing me old gloucestershire dumpling lol

I am really trying very hard biting my lip ..... but yet again a sweeping statement that appears to speak for everyone , how can you possibly know where every dj is in the country on a particular night ?

I know of many Dj's that go to venues where they don't DJ please don't give people a false image of the facts.

You know its statements like you have just made that stop people wanting to go to an upfront night ... you really are not helping in making people welcome in these silly statements you quite often make.

Edited by Anais nin
Social source share

I am really trying very hard biting my lip ..... but yet again a sweeping statement that appears to speak for everyone , how can you possibly know where every dj is in the country on a particular night ?

I know of many Dj's that go to venues where they don't DJ please don't give people a false image of the facts.

You know its statements like you have just made that stop people wanting to go to an upfront night ... you really are not helping in making people welcome in these silly statements you quite often make.

I think he's got a fair piont, there ares an awful lot of currnet nighter DJ's in England that you NEVER see anywhere if there not DJing, then again there's also some dj's that are into the scene and being seen. The nighter scene at least, is small enough nowadays to realise that the same old faces only show up if they've been asked to spin. In fairness though the more booking you get the less you can go out I sposse.

Social source share

I think he's got a fair piont, there ares an awful lot of currnet nighter DJ's in England that you NEVER see anywhere if there not DJing, then again there's also some dj's that are into the scene and being seen. The nighter scene at least, is small enough nowadays to realise that the same old faces only show up if they've been asked to spin. In fairness though the more booking you get the less you can go out I sposse.

I am sorry I disagree with you both ... I can't see how anyone could police this and make such a statement , well not unless they had eyes everywhere ... maybe God ?

Lets stay positive I want to hear more from the European guys , no need to compare , reflect on what goes on or doesn't go on here ... its just opinions at the end of the day

Edited by Anais nin
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks for mentioning the Hip City. If you wanna know what gets aired currently at the Hip City in Berlin please have a listen to

featuring also a handful of tunes form our recent give away CD done for our 22nd Anniversary. Mind you, not everything on soundcloud is an allniter spins of course!

To answer the initial question, I think it is fair to say that Soul Injection, Voltaires/Bacone, Waymond Hall, John Harris, Joey irving / Just Us Band, Brother Love, Charlene & The Soul Serenaders, E. Williams/Jimmy Williams, Soul Inc. would be -amongst others- in a current European Niter Spins top ten ...if there would be one ;)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I just did a search but can't find any for some of the Scandinavian guys/girls, Helena etc. They used to put mixes on their web sites, and they were awesome, Not Northern but they know their onions in that world also. The just play soulful dance music (without the capital N) from 60's 70's and 80's,, I especially like they favour the 80's equally, you would love it Barry.

Look on here for the Bamberg playlists, not sure if many did them to be honest and cannot find them at the moment. Again across the spectrum, and Butch and Dave T in particular just blow it away with very different selections from here, across the decades, really show just how miles ahead in the UK game they both are in playing across the spectrum. Completely matched though by "locals" (i.e. Non Brits) like Malayka, Lars, Marc Forrest and Brad Hales, who I always thought was just 60's but he blew the "modern" room away. Just so much music I don't know there.

And in both of occasions above all fanatical collectors looking for the next possible dance sensation!

I think each event seems to vary in its amount of straight ahead Northern but if nothing else the ones I go to are full of young attractive people.... remember that??

Jock is right Europe is really exciting at the mo, recently did gigs in Oslo and Salerno in both cases, was able to play from 60's through to 80's, northern, funk, modern, soulful boogie to busy floors. In each case DJ'd next to the local DJ's who gave me a run for my money, playing exciting, diverse sets. Plan to get along to Hamburg & Movin' On before the end of the year just as punter, as they really are fun..

Here's just a few gigs that are really on the money, Oslo Soul Experience, Movin' On, Soul 4 Real, Bamberg Weekender, Hamburg Weekender and Hip City. In each case the mix of what is played differs, but for me that is the charm, each event has it's own personality and you will hear something different at all.

Also many of the European DJ's now do shows on Solar Radio's 'Soul People' , so you can get a bit of a feel from listening to that.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Thanks Andreas , I really enjoyed listening to your tracks , love the needle in haystack tune . I too own a Fenton Robinson and have loved it with a passion for some years , and yes Europe is on bucket list next years ...oh there is more :) excellent !

thanks again

thanks Annais but they're not mine, but my mates who I spin with Sí¸ren L and Nik B who do a fantastic monthly night called GhettoSoul here in Copenhagen. together with those guys and the above mentioned DJs we've started a new night to bring together all the best soul DJs in the area called Delegates Of Soul which will be at a much more proper venue, and a historic one in this city, Stengade. we hope to build it up into a great night for dancers as the space has a proper sprung wooden dancefloor and great sound!

Social source share

...best thing would be if you go for a individual experience anyway, join one of the upcoming big European events such like the upcoming Hamburg Soul Weekender Oct 19- 21st , Ní¼rnberg Soulweekender first weekend in december, Aachen Soulweekender or Bamberg Soulshakers Weekender April/May next year and make up your own mind. I bet if you are not belonging to the Oldies fraternity you wont be dissappointed.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks for mentioning the Hip City. If you wanna know what gets aired currently at the Hip City in Berlin please have a listen to

https://soundcloud.co...-city-soul-club featuring also a handful of tunes form our recent give away CD done for our 22nd Anniversary. Mind you, not everything on soundcloud is an allniter spins of course!

To answer the initial question, I think it is fair to say that Soul Injection, Voltaires/Bacone, Waymond Hall, John Harris, Joey irving / Just Us Band, Brother Love, Charlene & The Soul Serenaders, E. Williams/Jimmy Williams, Soul Inc. would be -amongst others- in a current European Niter Spins top ten ...if there would be one ;)

Next on my list to listen to Marc ... now if I return to Germany I am going to go for 7 sausages with my Katofle salad !

Social source share

OMG .... its that tune that Charlie played at Bambury which had been bugging all week ..... I lost a good thing ? please tell me what is this ! I know it from the past but have not heard it played out , think Brian used to have it . This sound is calling me :ohmy:

Gwen Owens - I Lost A Good Thing on Velgo?

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

in brackets a few exceptions....please read carefully....however from my observations mainly true

Social source share

Jock is right Europe is really exciting at the mo, recently did gigs in Oslo and Salerno in both cases, was able to play from 60's through to 80's, northern, funk, modern, soulful boogie to busy floors. In each case DJ'd next to the local DJ's who gave me a run for my money, playing exciting, diverse sets. Plan to get along to Hamburg & Movin' On before the end of the year just as punter, as they really are fun..

Here's just a few gigs that are really on the money, Oslo Soul Experience, Movin' On, Soul 4 Real, Bamberg Weekender, Hamburg Weekender and Hip City. In each case the mix of what is played differs, but for me that is the charm, each event has it's own personality and you will hear something different at all.

Also many of the European DJ's now do shows on Solar Radio's 'Soul People' , so you can get a bit of a feel from listening to that.

Europe is amazing, and as Dave rightly noted, part of the charm, and the contrast to here is the locations - the environments in which the music is experienced, played and consumed is, in my opinion better. I played in Milan and Zurich this year and the venues were fabulas, one of which was a resurant where the food and beer was free all day, on a great marble floor which filled up with young punters who just enjoyed the groove.

Also Hamburg last year was another level - every set included reams of music that was so new and diverse - disco/boogie mixed with hard 60's soul.

Henning Boogaloo posted up a play list from his time in Manchester last year - thats a good place to hear the Big European Records if you can't make it to every big venue on the continent

Edited by TailorMade Gaz B
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

On the money fella......lost count of the times a dj has posted on here...."hoping to make it to this one"..."heard great reports"....and when you get there....they're nowhere to be see. However also heard "looking forward to spinning a few at this venue" "got me records sorted"..usually about venues that are not on the radar for em ever!!....then theres 6 feet of snow or 6 inches of rain....and they're first in the que...........................until they,ve finished their spot.....then off never to be seen at said venue again......whats known as proper soulies lol lol

Social source share

I reckon environment is a big factor when you think our do's are like social clubs or big halls , I would imagine Europe is much more hip , my only experience is the Boiler club in Barcelona , which i must say was very exciting , and also a big factor is most were under 35 ! Oh I forgot Rimini , very cafe culture :)

Edited by Anais nin
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I reckon environment is a big factor when you think our do's are like social clubs or big halls , I would imagine Europe is much more hip , my only experience is the Boiler club in Barcelona , which i must say was very exciting , and also a big factor is most were under 35 !

Well i guess they don't have social clubs...? I guess it wasn't a working class thing per-sa like it was here. you work with what you have I guess but there is no existing blue print there. I might be VERY wrong however, just an observation. Its also very city centric or cosmopolitan, not dotted on the outskirts of little town like we have them....but I guess we're going off point :lol:

Although the Boiler is like a little hot 60's club isn't it?

Social source share

...best thing would be if you go for a individual experience anyway, join one of the upcoming big European events such like the upcoming Hamburg Soul Weekender Oct 19- 21st , Ní¼rnberg Soulweekender first weekend in december, Aachen Soulweekender or Bamberg Soulshakers Weekender April/May next year and make up your own mind. I bet if you are not belonging to the Oldies fraternity you wont be dissappointed.

Social source share

Thanks for the replies, always heard great things about the European scene from the compadres I know who have attended - the youthful aspect has always appealed to me as has the mixture of styles - it seems (from here) to have an obvious fresh appeal.

Social source share

The last Backstreet here was held at a place called Haven, which is historically a recreation hall for the workers at the Carlsberg brewery. it doesn't get more proper than that! but most events here seem to be held at hip night clubs or pubs with generally a younger crowd who aren't necessarily keen on the music, but are open-minded and receptive for the most part.

Edited by AndreasB
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!