European Labels Or Boots?

Chris Anderton

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just to confuse things, here's a couple of paragraphs taken from an article on Surinam soul. It relates specifically to a release by William Tennesse on the Gifer label, but the info is relevant but confusing.

We never quite understood the Gifer story. Many of these Gifer 45's appear to be printed here, but this one comes from Belgium (labeled Sabam). Yet, as the sleeve testifies there is also a Miami connection. The spelling is not quite consistent (Fennessee?) but even without the typo William Tennessee is hardly a credible name for a US soul artist. We can only picture William sitting on the beach of some Caribbean island. Any other suggestions?

UPDATE

~ Well, we got this one wrong. William Fennessee apparently never left the States and the original record was released in Houston as Ovide 300. The other side is "I love you"Â on both Gifer and Ovide. This must be a very rare release, which makes it the more surprising that it was covered in Belgium. The relaxed ballad indeed fitted well in the Surinam soul scene.

Here's a link to the original article written by Tom de Jong and Harry van Vliet:

https://www.sirshambl...urinam_soul.htm

I know Harry, so if nothing is resolved here I'll see if I can remember to ask next time I see him if he's found out any more about the label since that was written.

Edited by Russell Gilbert
Social source share

I know Wright Sounds was a 70's bootleg label that released Shawn Robinson, Pointer Sisters and Cindy Scott.

But there was also a legit Wright Sounds label which released something, maybe Carol Kay?

I've seen several '70s bootleg's on a "Wright Sounds" Records (a bootleg label.

But the legitimate mid '60s Wright Sounds Records did release the Carol Kay record. That label was owned and run by Charles Wright, out of L.A.

WrightSound.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert