Info Needed On Smokey Robinson Track

Only Dreaming

Hi Folks. I need to know if this track was ever released (in any format). It starts off with the lines: It's no use, it's no fun, you're unhappy with 10 secret loves, if your lover has one.

The chorus goes "if you plant the seeds of wildflower, don't expert tame tomatoes.

Think it's called

"Wildflower"

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest MBarrett

Is that 100% the lyrics to Flower Girl?

I've only got a shortened live version - which doubtless has the tempo tweaked up.

But I can't recall those lyrics at all.

Unfortunately nothing to play it on at the mo. to check. :dash2:

Apologies for butting if it is - that will be something I learnt today. :D

MB

Social source share

From Don't Forget The Motor City..

Flower Girl (Marv Tarplin-Warren Moore-William Robinson) publ. Jobete

The Miracles; recorded Hitsville-GW, completed 23-Jul-70 ; produced by Smokey Robinson ; arranged by Dave Van DePitte ; [version 2]

[unreleased]; 45 (M): Tamla T 54211F B

30-Sep-70; LP (S): Tamla TS306 A Pocket Full Of Miracles

26-Oct-71; 45 (M): Tamla T 54211F B [1st pressing]

26-Oct-71; 45 (M): Tamla T 54211F B [2nd pressing]

16-Feb-93; CD (M): Rhino R2 71181 Whatever Makes You Happy

20-Jan-09; CD (M): Hip-O Select B0012227-02 The Complete Motown Singles Vol. 11B 1971

Social source share

The Miracles; recorded Hitsville-GW, completed 23-Jul-70 ; produced by Smokey Robinson ; arranged by Dave Van DePitte ; [version 2]

20-Jan-09; CD (M): Hip-O Select B0012227-02 The Complete Motown Singles Vol. 11B 1971

Blimey!

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Chalky - are those lyrics 100% from that track.

It features on a live album I've got here from 1972. I think it was when Smokey was about to go solo.

I can hear him in mind breaking into it with "F f f f f f f f flower girl . . . . . . . . " Just haven't got a deck to play the album on at the moment.

Weirdly it doesn't feature in the track listing. Could be that somebody shouted it as a request from the audience and he only did a couple of bars.

But I just can't relate to those lyricsl.

MB

Social source share

Chalky - are those lyrics 100% from that track.

It features on a live album I've got here from 1972. I think it was when Smokey was about to go solo.

I can hear him in mind breaking into it with "F f f f f f f f flower girl . . . . . . . . " Just haven't got a deck to play the album on at the moment.

Weirdly it doesn't feature in the track listing. Could be that somebody shouted it as a request from the audience and he only did a couple of bars.

But I just can't relate to those lyricsl.

MB

Nope don't think they are, certainly doesn't start off as quoted. I can't find any track called "Wildflower" either.

Social source share

"Flower Girl" is not the track I'm referring to unfortunately. I have a feeling it's an unreleased one as I used to have it back in the 80's on a John Manship Unissued Motown tape along with the likes of Tommy Good "I've got to get away" and "Lonely Boy"

Thanks for the input so far, it is ALL appreciated.

Dave

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

"Flower Girl" is not the track I'm referring to unfortunately. I have a feeling it's an unreleased one as I used to have it back in the 80's on a John Manship Unissued Motown tape along with the likes of Tommy Good "I've got to get away" and "Lonely Boy"

Thanks for the input so far, it is ALL appreciated.

Dave

Phew! Makes me feel better.

In the meantime realised that Flower Girl is not on the 1972 album I was thinking of. Actually on another live album - Smokey Robinson & the Miracles - 1970 - STML11172. And does feature in the track listing.

MB

Social source share

Thanks Chalky. I think the title may be "wings & halos" and it sounded like a 70's track from his solo period.

Dave

I don't have that track on any of the 4 tapes in front of me. Have found it on a cd on a website for sale, looks like a boot cd, but can't listen. I have a couple of dozen CD's of u/r Motown, I'll have a look tomorrow.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert