Northern Soul Dj......'sets'

Guest Brooky

Probably get shot down for this but hey........

I've read with interest the 'DJ 'Set' thing.......Fred can put together a really good 'Set' etc......

Then again, you read of 'DJ' s being threatened because they don't play the right sort of music or they're forcing a genre down the throats of the hordes that the hordes don't want to hear......

Would it be a positive philosophy for a 'DJ' to simply play what was requested by the majority? In practice, a DJ leaves his record collection portfolio in the bar or wherever and says...this is what I have.....what do you want me to play?

In my head I am a fully paid up member of the Soul Police....it just MUST be the original....but surely playing what people want to hear is why DJ's are there. Doesn't mean that discretion is taken away completely....new or recently discovered or experimental stuff in proportion....yes......but playing what the masses want as a priority......

Just a thought......off you go.......!

Edited by Brooky
Social source share

I think the "set" provides the context for a record and a good record can sound crappy or a strange record can sound amazing in the right context. I don't understand how this context can be achieved if there's no continuity because the DJ goes on the mic and announces each song before it plays (which apparently happens at some northern DJ events?).

Social source share

I like the DJ to surprise me and play something I wouldn't have thought of playing and hearing. It's all part of the fun of it.

Anyway, you can't have different individuals selecting records, as they won't necessarily represent the majority.

Edited by daved
Social source share

I've read with interest the 'DJ 'Set' thing.......Fred can put together a really good 'Set' etc......

Then again, you read of 'DJ' s being threatened because they don't play the right sort of music or they're forcing a genre down the throats of the hordes that the hordes don't want to hear......

Would it be a positive philosophy for a 'DJ' to simply play what was requested by the majority? In practice, a DJ leaves his record collection portfolio in the bar or wherever and says...this is what I have.....what do you want me to play?

In my head I am a fully paid up member of the Soul Police....it just MUST be the original....but surely playing what people want to hear is why DJ's are there. Doesn't mean that discretion is taken away completely....new or recently discovered or experimental stuff in proportion....yes......but playing what the masses want as a priority......

Just a thought......off you go.......!

Usually good promoters book DJ's that will be right for the kind of night they are wanting to put on. A good DJ will be booked for what he /she can bring to the party, the way they play and the types of tunes they carry will be known in advance. Sure, a bit of catering to the crowd is good, but hopefully the crowd will be on the DJ's side if they've chosen the right venue for their night out.

Jordi

Social source share

I like the DJ to surprise me and play something I wouldn't have thought of playing and hearing. It's all part of the fun of it.

Anyway, you can't have different individuals selecting records, as they won't necessarily represent the majority.

Does this make all DJs redundant then ?

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

...but surely playing what people want to hear is why DJ's are there.

in a word ...no. The Dj is there to play what the crowd wants when the crowd don't know what they want, the Dj is also there to inject his/her personality into their set(though many don't) and that is what they live or die by.

the punter is putting their trust in the Dj to 'know' what they like and if the dj doesn't know what the crowd want he/she has failed in their job, easy as that.

Social source share

in a word ...no. The Dj is there to play what the crowd wants when the crowd don't know what they want, the Dj is also there to inject his/her personality into their set(though many don't) and that is what they live or die by.

the punter is putting their trust in the Dj to 'know' what they like and if the dj doesn't know what the crowd want he/she has failed in their job, easy as that.

I agree with what you're saying Davie but I think Brooky's hypothetical question is loaded in a way that says 'why not take that possible failure to please out of the equation'.

Social source share

I agree with what you're saying Davie but I think Brooky's hypothetical question is loaded in a way that says 'why not take that possible failure to please out of the equation'.

---------------------------------------------------

Very perceptive Barry.............an idea / question someone who is permanently insecure would ask! I resemble that remark!

Social source share

In response to the original question:

1. You'll simply end up playing the records that the most annoying hasslers pester you for - that usually means chart Motown

2. What's the point of booking other DJs for an event if they all simply play what's requested so you lose any unique personal style or character in their spot

3. I want to be surprised and excited to hear new and different stuff (sadly rare though that is)

4. To me DJing is about evangelising NOT ego (at least it is for me - hence what we were at back in the day at Carlisle) - it's about saying 'you liked that one - NOW LISTEN TO THIS - similar vein but different and better'

5. The dancefloor or rather danceability should still be the driving force at a nighter - slower stuff ain't right IMO (though I think 1000mph stuff is usually cretinous pop - I personally like what I consider very fast mid-tempo - I'd place That Driving Beat, which I love to dance to, in this category - mid-ish tempo in feel even though it's fast in pace)

Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!