Most Expensive Vinyl Record Run

Barry

Now this is just gonna be a bit of fun as I can't see there being a solid correct answer as we do not know exact available amounts but - using

X = Amount of copies out there

and

Y = Sale Price

....what do you reckon

Z (the highest grossing NS single for amount of copies available) would equal?

I suppose this is another way of asking the most common track that commands the highest price but there are some big price hitters out there whose low copy count but high gross price may undermine that theory.

That make sense?

(I am now wishing I hadn't thought of this but am going to post it anyway ;0)

Edited by Barry
Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Barry it makes no sense to me mate! But if we are talking about the record that has grossed the most money in sale & resale one to consider has got to be I Wanna Give You Tomorrow - Benny Troy loads of the buggers around & been selling way over price for many a year £100.00 plus at times for a £10.00 max record must bring this to being close to the one?

Steve J

Social source share

What about something like Ace Spectrum - Don't send Nobody Else?

Reached #4 in the pop chart in the Billboard 100. I'm not sure if it shipped 1/2 a million to go gold but probably did ship in the hundreds of thousands.

Multiply that figure (if you can find it out) by £40 or so and thats a fair few quid

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'll bite just to help start a debate. Cashmeres - Showstopper.

Loads more copies than the price would suggest.

you are 100% correct Ged over priced and not that rare any more 'seen quite a few on Ebay.

Social source share

But if we are talking about the record that has grossed the most money in sale & resale one to consider has got to be I Wanna Give You Tomorrow - Benny Troy loads of the buggers around & been selling way over price for many a year £100.00 plus at times for a £10.00 max record must bring this to being close to the one

Had this conversation with Dave Raistrick a few years ago and he said he had boxes of it for sale at Wigan so must be a contender, drives me nuts when i hear it now,very annoying,

Social source share

Smudge I saw the posting about D.R always remember him having what seemed like a box full of Cobblestone trick me treat me in its time always wondered also not from D.R but -bobby kline seen more then ever for sale this year

but still big bucks good title though

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

Jack Montgomery would be in the running too, there seems to have been one on eBay every week for the last 15 years and the price is still quite healthy. How would that compare I wonder with 20 Larry Clintons?

Cheers

Pete

Social source share

What about something like Ace Spectrum - Don't send Nobody Else?

Reached #4 in the pop chart in the Billboard 100. I'm not sure if it shipped 1/2 a million to go gold but probably did ship in the hundreds of thousands.

Multiply that figure (if you can find it out) by £40 or so and thats a fair few quid

where does that come from ged.....i have it as pop no 59 and rnb no 10..still a lot of copies shifted tho and the usa is quite big

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

You should have seen, how many copies of hang on-big bird, we left in the states, mind you though, it's never been a big money record, has it?.

Saying that, I think that Wall Of Sound track went for a few quid in the late seventies when Richard was spinning it, maybe not big money but £40 or £50 back then, which is probably what you can pay today?

Aid.

Social source share

On a much smaller scale I've been watching Eddie Holman I Surrender on e-bay over the last couple of months - there are loads of them with one or two coming up every week, but still selling for anything between 50 and 75quid, mental with that many copies for sale, let alone available elsewhere.

Dave

Social source share

the Velvet Satins, Spyder turner ! these are both in fair quantity and have been doing the rounds for reasonable money compared to volume ........ i remember paying a few quid many years ago for Danny woods, then it going for daft money, i fell outta the scene and sold my collection, on my return i started bying again and seen a minter on a list for £70. i thought geez thats a bargain and promptly bought it, however the price seemed to have dropped due to 50 or so turning up somewhere ? how come a box of 50 can have so much impact on the value when theres so many others that have many more copies available but hold there price ! some tunes stay in vouge and never drop no matter what quantity yet some really rare stuff is buttons because it is not played ,strange world of northern soul i suppose lol :g:

Social source share

the Velvet Satins, Spyder turner ! these are both in fair quantity and have been doing the rounds for reasonable money compared to volume ........ i remember paying a few quid many years ago for Danny woods, then it going for daft money, i fell outta the scene and sold my collection, on my return i started bying again and seen a minter on a list for £70. i thought geez thats a bargain and promptly bought it, however the price seemed to have dropped due to 50 or so turning up somewhere ? how come a box of 50 can have so much impact on the value when theres so many others that have many more copies available but hold there price ! some tunes stay in vouge and never drop no matter what quantity yet some really rare stuff is buttons because it is not played ,strange world of northern soul i suppose lol :g:

Alright Charlie,been a while mate... was it "You had me fooled" on Correctone you got for seventy quid?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

haha yes it was ........a very long time ago, remember selling my first copy for £400 then bying it as you correctly stated for £70 many years later ! and inbetween i,m sure it climed to a fair few quid, strange how records go up and down depending on volume or fashion, yet theres thousands of pretty rare ones that aint worth a dime cos there not in vouge.......... and i,m doin ok Mark hope your well to m8

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Danny Woods for seventy quid is a bargain indeed, even if a 50 box turned up, not as good as Toad's 4 quid though!!

Never realised it had dropped so much.

I can beat 4 quid rob thomas gave it me for my birthday one night at middleton.He got it for a dollar at a record fair in usa,still not a bad prezzie thou.

Social source share

On a much smaller scale I've been watching Eddie Holman I Surrender on e-bay over the last couple of months - there are loads of them with one or two coming up every week, but still selling for anything between 50 and 75quid, mental with that many copies for sale, let alone available elsewhere.

Dave

Funnily enough, I was having a moan to Paul (Soul Shrews) about exactly this 45 on Saturday night at the Amsterdam Soul Club. Countless copies go through eBay, but the price appears to be going up.

Plenty of copies of The Chandlers "Your love makes me lonely" drifting through this last year as well. Dee Edwards "Why can't there be love" is another that people are still fighting over no matter the condition. Seen loads of those over the last 12 months. Likewise The Metros "Since I found my baby".

• Helpful 2
Social source share

This is a pretty interesting thread to me as someone in the US who is not connected to the Northern Soul scene and has been watching eBay since 1998 trying to understand why there is a never ending market for the records mentioned above like Ace Spectrum, that record is easily available for $1 or less here as it was a hit (bigger in some areas than others). As for Ruby Andrews, you can find JLY for cheap as well if you're patient, her standard non-Northern 45s are also seen pretty much everywhere for a couple bucks - I can't believe JLY would have ever been a $200+ record. There's no way these records are being purchased for DJs - is it? - there can't be that many DJs in the world for all the Ace Spectrum 45s - must be a case where younger people discover the records and simply want copies for themselves and are not interested in waiting out in person sources.

The next level or records, like the RCA 45s (promos) of Willie Kendrick, Dynamics, Lorraine Chandler, Metros (which is even more common), etc similar questions - are DJs buying these? I did own WK - CYW and sold it only to buy it back for $ some years later, the others were all cheap deals and multiple copies found for me. I don't see any signs that prices fluctuate, they seem to be pretty steady. Surely these records must fall into the 'played to death oldie' category in the UK? Or is it again people wanting them for their home collection?

I don't really count the one time finds like Four Tracks and Royal Esquires, what's interesting are the records that continue to be found in the USsuch as the major label promos and private press records that were hits or large well distributed pressings (like Ruby Andrews). There's bunch more records like the Chandlers that I can't think of at the moment that would seem that supply would reduce demand.....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Often wondered if your big collectors-in the know crowd, kept copies of tunes back delibrately to keep them rare and top dollar price when selling.

I do know that when people turn up quantity of something they often try to hide the number of copies they have, but in this case we're talking about records that were everywhere, there would be no way to hold them back somehow.

My addition would be the exits "under the street lamp."

For some reason Just Loving You never turns up in Chicago but all the other Ruby Andrews 45s do.

Social source share

I don't really count the one time finds like Four Tracks and Royal Esquires, what's interesting are the records that continue to be found in the USsuch as the major label promos and private press records that were hits or large well distributed pressings (like Ruby Andrews). There's bunch more records like the Chandlers that I can't think of at the moment that would seem that supply would reduce demand.....

I agree, these records were all sold in a short period of time for a lot of money so they appear to be overall very valuable in quantity, but 200 copies of a rare record doesn't compare to some records where there were clearly 1000s of copies around and now command real money.

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

not sure if ive missed the point or not. rca have a hefty 100 odd tunes to collect, 40 worthy of note INHO, some only 10 quid but upto 5/600 for the rarer items.....if you can get them, lorraines 3 as a case in point. but this is spread over nearly 4000 releases to 1980`s. if you reduce the output then it could be shrine with almos everyone rare from 200 quid to 5000 quid. reduce the outup even more and look at dayco as an example 5 or 6 releases all rare as and expensive.

Social source share

not sure if ive missed the point or not. rca have a hefty 100 odd tunes to collect, 40 worthy of note INHO, some only 10 quid but upto 5/600 for the rarer items.....if you can get them, lorraines 3 as a case in point. but this is spread over nearly 4000 releases to 1980`s. if you reduce the output then it could be shrine with almos everyone rare from 200 quid to 5000 quid. reduce the outup even more and look at dayco as an example 5 or 6 releases all rare as and expensive.

if I'm understanding him correctly, Barry wasn't talking about the most expensive label to run the catalog of, he was saying that given one specific title, add up the selling price of all the copies and find the "most expensive" record that way. For example, if there are two copies of a record that sell for $20,000 each, that is less expensive than 1000 copies of a record that sell for $200 each.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

A Virginia record dealer told me that he sent over 5,000 copies of Epitome Of Sound over to the U.K. back in the 1970's. How true that is, I don't know.

Des Parker

Back in the late 1980s a dealer in PA was selling these for $3, that's where I got the copy I still have (the red print on creamy white stock copy), I assume that he had a lot, probably 100 minimum. 5000 copies seems like more than a small label would press up for the first run. 1000 is believable though.

Social source share

There's nothing rare on RCA (promo), I would say they pressed at minimum 1000 promos and probably 5x that on some titles. I think if you added up the number of copies of the Metros in collections it could number more than 1000. It still astounds me that it would be selling for more than $100 - although almost every collector I meet who has a casual interest in soul and has found the record says they like it and often keep it.

LIke Columbia, RCA was very generous with promo records and seem to give them to anyone including high school radio stations. The only RCA soul related promo record I never found cheap (I have had all of them) was Judy Freeman & Blackrock and I probably passed on it years ago because I was only interested in the 1960s RCAs. RCA and Columbia far outnumber any other labels for the numbers of promos in circulation. Unlike RCA Columbia does have a couple records that are rare (as does Epic). The only possibly rare RCA is a 45 by Lloyd and the Village Squires, a Canadian garage band. The 45 was released in Canada with a US catalog number unlike most Canadian RCA records, but no US issue under that number has ever been found.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

There's nothing rare on RCA (promo), I would say they pressed at minimum 1000 promos and probably 5x that on some titles. I think if you added up the number of copies of the Metros in collections it could number more than 1000. It still astounds me that it would be selling for more than $100 - although almost every collector I meet who has a casual interest in soul and has found the record says they like it and often keep it.

LIke Columbia, RCA was very generous with promo records and seem to give them to anyone including high school radio stations. The only RCA soul related promo record I never found cheap (I have had all of them) was Judy Freeman & Blackrock and I probably passed on it years ago because I was only interested in the 1960s RCAs. RCA and Columbia far outnumber any other labels for the numbers of promos in circulation. Unlike RCA Columbia does have a couple records that are rare (as does Epic). The only possibly rare RCA is a 45 by Lloyd and the Village Squires, a Canadian garage band. The 45 was released in Canada with a US catalog number unlike most Canadian RCA records, but no US issue under that number has ever been found.

Is a thousand pressing run, 45 years ago, especially when something didnt sell, that common really?

how many of those thousand pressed are actually in collections? I just wonder, for a typical, major label, Northen tune, that did have a thousand run, 45 years ago, how many copies are still in existance today? how many have been dumped? how many too Knackered to play? and how many still reside in collectioins unbekwowing of there worth?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Is a thousand pressing run, 45 years ago, especially when something didnt sell, that common really?

how many of those thousand pressed are actually in collections? I just wonder, for a typical, major label, Northen tune, that did have a thousand run, 45 years ago, how many copies are still in existance today? how many have been dumped? how many too Knackered to play? and how many still reside in collectioins unbekwowing of there worth?

most of the copies are probably ok still...after all these years rca promo`s still keep comin over they probably pressed nearer 5000 than 1000

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!