Similarities With Rockabilly Scene

I was talking to a workmate about a band I've booked up to play down my local Club. Anyway the band in question play and I quote from their website "Kick Arse 50's Rock 'n' Roll & Rockabilly". My mate is into his Rockabilly, funnily enough he was planning on going to a Rock'n'Roll night this Saturday at The Plinston! thumbsup.gif

So we started talking and I said he might enjoy this band, that was until I said they played Peggy Sue. He then replied that the song was a bit mainstream and not really rockabilly enough for him! I suppose it's abit like going to a Soul Do and hearing someone play Footsie!

He said that they don't dance to a band as that was a bit uncool! They only really danced to DJ's playing records! I mean have you ever heard anything so daft? :thumbsup::unsure:

Shane, Mike, Nick feel free to move this if you think it's in the wrong forum.

Social source share

• Replies 27
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Reminds me of last year when my wife and I went to a restaurant/night club & in the middle of dinner a rockabilly band came on stage. The crowd was pretty straight - as in no idea about subcultures - and they eventually started asking for some covers, something from Motown was suggested. Well the band said - somewhat nicer than I expected to them to - that it wasn't their sound, but eventually caved in and played a cover of Barrett Strong's 'Money', which was pretty much lost on all the requestees.....

OK, maybe that has nothing to do with the original post, but it's too late now.....

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Bumped into an old school mate at the Capitol Sould Club some years ago, he was still a rockabilly (and hadn't aged a bit, the complete git, but then I happen to know that his real first name is actually Bernard and not Leroy as he is usually known). He told me that the top DJs had been reduced to getting unissued acetates off the original artists. I mean, can you imagine someone doing something so ridiculous as hunting down some three record wonder to get hold of the tracks that nobody could be bothered releasing....

:P:thumbsup:

Social source share

I was talking to a workmate about a band I've booked up to play down my local Club. Anyway the band in question play and I quote from their website "Kick Arse 50's Rock 'n' Roll & Rockabilly". My mate is into his Rockabilly, funnily enough he was planning on going to a Rock'n'Roll night this Saturday at The Plinston! :thumbsup:

So we started talking and I said he might enjoy this band, that was until I said they played Peggy Sue. He then replied that the song was a bit mainstream and not really rockabilly enough for him! I suppose it's abit like going to a Soul Do and hearing someone play Footsie!

He said that they don't dance to a band as that was a bit uncool! They only really danced to DJ's playing records! I mean have you ever heard anything so daft? :(sad.gif

Shane, Mike, Nick feel free to move this if you think it's in the wrong forum.

Often wondered if the Rockabillly scene is as big as the Northern Soul Scene in the UK, quite like their fashion sense :P

Social source share

Often wondered if the Rockabillly scene is as big as the Northern Soul Scene in the UK, quite like their fashion sense :thumbsup:

Chatted to a couple up at Plinston that were into rockabilly. They were enjoying the night & I did ask them what they thought. They were amazed how friendly the northern scene was. According to them, you're either full into rockabilly or not. They don't welcome 'tourists' the same way that we do. If we'd turned up at one of their dos its quite likely that we would have been ignored all night.

Having said that, it was only one couples views & this post is not to dis a scene that I know eff all about.

Col.

Social source share

Chatted to a couple up at Plinston that were into rockabilly. They were enjoying the night & I did ask them what they thought. They were amazed how friendly the northern scene was. According to them, you're either full into rockabilly or not. They don't welcome 'tourists' the same way that we do. If we'd turned up at one of their dos its quite likely that we would have been ignored all night.

Having said that, it was only one couples views & this post is not to dis a scene that I know eff all about.

Col.

Still curious to know if their scene is as big as the Northern soul scene, seems that they have similar taste in music if they attend soul events?

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Its faairly big in London. A few venues like the Elephants head Sunday sessions have Rockabilly lads there.

The Irish pub opposite Camden Road train Station Molly Mogs (Name changed) used to have rockabilly bands. The Castle on Kentish town road has fantastic doo wap nights on Sundays. its all rockabilly lads in there, and downstairs at the dome holds regular rockabilly nights.

Lots of rockabilly lads came regularly to the Capitol nights. Eddy is a 100 club regular, from the rockabilly scene.

Some of them have these fantastic 50s american convertable cars. Easily the best accesory of any scene, apart from a fully tarted up Lambretta of course.

One lad at the recent Weston allnighter played an hour's worth of stuff that I can only think is some kind of crossover rockabilly/Rnb thing. It left me absolutely stone cold, but loads of people in there semed to really enjoy it.

Social source share

One lad at the recent Weston allnighter played an hour's worth of stuff that I can only think is some kind of crossover rockabilly/Rnb thing. It left me absolutely stone cold, but loads of people in there semed to really enjoy it.

I didn't realise Pikey was down that way. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

We got all sorts down here mate.

Warren Boogaloo might know Ian and his wife from Surrey. I met them at Boogallo andthey seemed really into it. They said part of their scene is 'Strolling'?? Apartently the style of music is more soulful than the full on rock/hillbilly stuff.

Social source share

Lots of rockabilly lads came regularly to the Capitol nights. Eddy is a 100 club regular, from the rockabilly scene.

There's a bit of crossover (as in between scenes) here in Scotland, there's a few who regularly go to soul and mod nights in both Edinburgh and Glasgow - tend to see them dancing to the more R&B end of things... great dancing as well :thumbsup: Dunno how big the rockabilly scene here is though, only seen one or two nights advertised but I guess it's a bit like the soul scene, and you have to be on it to know about a lot of events.

Social source share

We got all sorts down here mate.

Warren Boogaloo might know Ian and his wife from Surrey. I met them at Boogallo andthey seemed really into it. They said part of their scene is 'Strolling'?? Apartently the style of music is more soulful than the full on rock/hillbilly stuff.

From my workmate only women dance "Strollin' style. Apparently to stuff like Booker T's Green Onions! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Did you know, your Staines railway station (where you work) was staffed almost entirely with Teds in the 70s. It was a pretty weird place.

I'll have you know just because I get paid by South West Trains, it doesn't mean I work for it. :thumbsup:

As for it being a pretty weird place, nothings changed! :P

Social source share

Often wondered if the Rockabillly scene is as big as the Northern Soul Scene in the UK, quite like their fashion sense :D
I was on the rocking/rockabilly scene many years ago, I got involved in it again when I started doing security on the weekenders it's a big scene still , but no where near as friendly as the Northern scene. Edited by soulful64
Social source share

Before discovering northern I had been involved in the punk and reggea scenes and I noticed there's a lot of similarities between most of these underground subcultures. The gigs, rare vinyl, fashion, dancing (or the lack of), fanzines, DIY-ethics and ofcourse, the dislike of the mainstream and its shit music. You seem to find that in every subculture. Also, it seems like every scene has had it's own "Ian Levine" type of character. :thumbsup: (was just reading that topic).

Edited by Erik T.
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I was on the rocking/rockabilly scene many years ago, I got involved in it again when I started doing security on the weekenders it's a big scene still , but no where near as friendly as the Northern scene.

Try Rhythm Riot - Hemsby.....all the 5ts gear...the girls look like Betty Page. Strolling is circa 61 - let's go baby, let's do the Stroll - The Diamonds. I used to run a black rock and roll night - Amos Milburn, Cues, Bull Moose Jackson etc etc.........my nights were very friendly but there are factions within the scene, just like the Northern scene - bluegrass, really traditional rock and roll (for that , read Oldies) and the more progressive Rock and Roll. Saw and met Charlie Gracie....WHAT AN AMAZING GUY. His hero, who he gigged with, was Big Joe Turner - Shake Rattle and Roll..........anyway, there are similarities....Jo

Social source share

I used to be in to the "rocking scene" met me wife at Hemsby 14 years ago at a rock n roll weekender... I got out of it when the music changed started going a bit garage for me.. so stopped going to do's...

A couple of me fav's spent many a night dancing to these :shades:

No Peggy Sue in sight :thumbsup:

Social source share

There's a bit of crossover (as in between scenes) here in Scotland, there's a few who regularly go to soul and mod nights in both Edinburgh and Glasgow - tend to see them dancing to the more R&B end of things... great dancing as well :thumbsup: Dunno how big the rockabilly scene here is though, only seen one or two nights advertised but I guess it's a bit like the soul scene, and you have to be on it to know about a lot of events.
Well I know a lot of them and some of them used to be mods! :shades:
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Well I know a lot of them and some of them used to be mods! :thumbsup:

quite a few come to BASICS and love the early stuff we play ....it's nice to see in my opinion

Davie

Social source share

Hi Rachel,do you know Bill Horton-I wanna know -Kayden...? Pity I cannot put a snippet up :shades: Classed as Rockabilly :lol: Hope to see you at the Greatstone ATB Stevie
Social source share

I went to a R&R/RnB night at Victory Services Club in 2004 and enjoyed the RnB side of it very much. I ran into our very own Gene R there... The couple who ran it i met at a weekender in Birmingham...A New Centruy/Newuntouchables thing. They liked both types of scene

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

You could also add in the ska scene to this mix, although it tends to lean more towards live acts there is a growing element of 'I've got something you haven't' in the collecting side (says the bloke with a box of Japanese, Latin American and European ska!)

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Always been fascinated by scenes that run parallel to ours and i suppose Rock and Roll is the closest in terms of history, etiquette and dedication. I read an article in the sunday papers a few months back about a rock and roll weekender, all the same elements were there, the music, the dancing , etiquette, obsession with vinyl. The only difference was a greater dedication to fashion with 50s and 60s original clothing much in evidence, probably alot more like the mod scene than the northern scene in this sense.

Sometimes look on ebay at the rarer rock and roll 45s and wonder how they sound.. mind you i've probably heard some played out at norther dos.. :thumbsup:

I went through a period a few years back of buying those Charley R&B albums, Little Esther, The Jive Five, The Five Royales, Hank Ballard, Johnny Watson. They all sound like Rock and Roll to me though. It's amazing how many artists we consider soul singers now on our scene actually started out in the 50s with Rock n Roll.

Matt

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Hi Rachel,do you know Bill Horton-I wanna know -Kayden...? Pity I cannot put a snippet up :shades: Classed as Rockabilly :lol: Hope to see you at the Greatstone ATB Stevie

Don't think so :lol: Hopefully see you Saturday :thumbsup:

Social source share

Matt i've just started pulling out some of the rocking stuff, what i have left (sold 90% of it :thumbsup: but then better than sitting unplayed some where) so only a few albums cd's left, but am gonna put a CD together for the car now forgot how much I liked some of it...pm me your address and i'll send you one.. be next week that i post it... :shades:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert