Hamilton Movement

Jaco

It was known by funk collectors well before it got picked on the soul scene. A small clutch of them were found and seemed as though more would turn up but they didn't. It got played a lot on the 70's and crossover scenes well before it became a big room northern favourite. I never get tired of it personally, wonderful uplifting dance soul music with more than a nod to Bobby Womack on lead vocals.

Jordi

Jordi

Agree Jordi - top quality 70's - uplifting insistent rhythm - great vocal and great to dance to - loved it the first time I heard it on one of Dave's cd's!

adam

Social source share

I can just picture the three of you at the bar :g:

Mike

Spot on Mike.

Bit like a 'Last Of The Summer Wine' outtake.

Herrrrrrrrrrrrm.... what do you think then lads?

Errrrrr.... well I've picked up better records for 30 pence.

Yep, me too.

Load o' crap if you ask me.

Another pint of mild anyone?

Three straws please landlord!

:D

Sean

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Seriously, even in 1999, you could have bought the hamilton movement for £2 because the US contained almost no Soul collectors.

that's not exactly true, by '95 the rare groove / breaks collecting scene blew up, but it was LP oriented. The main 45s people bought were funk. So there probably wasn't that much interest in '99. But one of the first region specific funk 45 interests focused on Indianapolis records (e.g. as featured on the Stones Throw Funky 16 corners comp from 2001) so people were probably looking for that record soon after '99 if not by then.

Social source share

Just as a footnote; some people on here seem to think that where they heard a sound first must be the source. Please try and do a little bit of research before you make a contribution as some of the comments are laughable.

Huh?...Just re-read the thread and can't see where anyone is suggesting that??..... (Usually by the time a tune enters my sphere of noticeability, even me mam has known about it for 2 years!! :lol: )

Anyway, well done to you for unearthing it. What a tune to find! :thumbup:

Social source share

And no doubt cleared the dance floor ,because it would have sounded totally new to the "northern soul" crowd ?

nope was a biggie pretty much from the off.

I was emptying dancefloors in and around Blackpool with it after some were calling it a played out tune. Such is the progressive nature of the Fylde coast :wicked::lol:

Social source share

Although I never met mr Indiana 45's aka Jason Yoder ,I did have Regular contact with him a few yrs back and was forever badgering him for his last copy of Hamilton movement .

He maintained to me that he would never sell his last copy because he was a collector of all things Indiana and only sold spares :(

But he did tell me that he had found a batch of the Hamilton movement and sold them to Uk guys for a lot less than they were worth ...

He realised yrs later that those nice ,sincere UK guys had Duped him out of a small fortune .

He was living in Switzerland with his girlfriend when he sold that last copy ,hence the Popsike reference .

He also turned up the copies of Rey Villlar & the royal flush ....now where's my copy ?

I've got an Auntie in Indiana, should I be asking her to look for records for me?

As for this one - instantly forgettable tuneless racket

Social source share

Tell me what to look for and I'll ask her, she certainly comes into contact with a lot of people, she works at the Notre Dame university

Some great stuff out of Indiana Pete ..the obvious ones being Lamp label and the James bell on 3 diamonds and Ro jam labels ..

I've a hunch you might know these Pete ...ringing any bells ?

Social source share

I was emptying dancefloors in and around Blackpool with it after some were calling it a played out tune. Such is the progressive nature of the Fylde coast wicked.giflaugh.png

:lol: I was of course referring to the all-nighters. It from what I remember didn't take long to go big and every man and his dog wanting a copy. Thats the power of a handful of top jocks having a record. Not like today when most top records are in the hands of just one, maybe two DJ's and take years to break.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

:lol: I was of course referring to the all-nighters. It from what I remember didn't take long to go big and every man and his dog wanting a copy. Thats the power of a handful of top jocks having a record. Not like today when most top records are in the hands of just one, maybe two DJ's and take years to break.

Fair point Chalks. :hatsoff2:

It does illustrate the difference in the mindset of the nighter crowd to (as someone once termed them) the muggles.

A good record heard for the first time to one set of soul fans is an instant dancefloor classic and to the others its time to sit down.

Mind you they'll dance to it now :g: Nowt as strange as 'soulies'. :huh:

Social source share

who said it was bad nev. im not talkin rare records here i`m talkin records period hamilton movement is good but imo al green did at least 5 records that i rate better sinple as that

Put like that Dave...happen i'd agree with you ....got side tracked into thinking we were talking or generalising about rare soul records .

Social source share

wasnt Maria Orlovic one of the first to get behind the record when it saw its "revival" start of the 2000`s ?

I wrote a long story about this back then, but just a few points tonight:

Got mine from Butch 7 months and two weeks after first hearing it on 16th February 2002, same moment Arthur Fenn first heard it, Sam got his from Butch before I got mine, after hearing it from Arthur at Trentham Gardens (where it got the first outing for the soul scene wave). Arthur got his from Keb Darge, who said he got it from Butch (Keb found a copy not long after trading his copy to Arthur, via someone djing before him at a funk event in Europe).

I disappeared back to Oz once I got mine, but heard quite a few copies turned up the following year (2003) on the UK soul scene, which Butch and I think Andy Dyson were selling. By the time I returned the following year, it was being described as "overplayed" on the rare scene.

I had found one of the band members online before I bought mine, but didn't feel right about chasing the copy another band member had. Someone in the UK caught on to the title early and told me that's how they got theirs, but she later sold it on.

m

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Very interesting those statements Nev ,I'd be astounded if Jason would feel that way-are these his words ?I ain't in the habit of having to explain myself but for the likes of Nev who are it appears popsike reference and googleable reliant for anything soul a few pointers. Just as the 45 was starting to get some play Jason found a small quantity and offered them to me as he did with most of the black music 45's he was finding at the time.We had done scores of deals on some fantastic records,which as a rule were at Jason's asking price,if he was unsure i'd give my shop floor opinion. From memory i had around 12 copies possibly15 at the most J had the odd couple he held back maybe due to condition issues - he sent them in lots of 3-4 with some months inbetween the consignments (each person who bought one was told the crack with the quantities) To be quite frank what i paid for them is between me and Jason and i'm sure he will agree with that ,but lets say a tad under a grand ($'s) for the earlier ones then over a grand($'s) for the latter copies.I then sold/traded copies for whatever in my opinion was the going rate ,that rate increased a little because of demand rtc.. but only a fraction of what it goes for now.That's the bottom line,Jason aswell as other lads come to me because i ,can move the 45's and i pay them the money ,it's all based on trust and respect one would think ? certainly Jason is amongst the most trustworthy and honourable out there regardless if he feels duped! Infact duped is a great word..Literally ... Ady Potts promoted a soul event in L.A strangely the same week as Kev Roberts promotion cut a long story short during that week my mate Kev Murphy amongst others over heard Ady proudly spouting he'd found some of Andy Dyson's top U.S contacts and made it clear to them that i was some kind of gangster ,crook and not to be trusted... Ah that was nice of him ,funny really although rellevent to the above Hamilton Movement scenario because Jason was one of the guys he said this to ( i mailed Jason who confirmed the spouting,but of course he thought nothing of it ) but the odd one or two other guys have never been in touch since this spouting ,just goes to show what folk say about you when you're not there to speak up for yourself ! ah the strange world of soul records...

Hi Andy ...thanks for putting me and others straight on this one ..and for clarifying things regarding the H.M copies .

Firstly i have to confess ..DUPED was my choice of wording not Jason's, and i guess, it was based on my interpreting how i believed he felt at the time ,but i was under the impression he sold em individually to different people who had gotten wind of his little find ...obviously wrong !

Personally i think most people know how the world turns and deals are made every day ,you have to be in the right place at the right time .

.if someone offers multiple copies to one person ,then he's fully aware the buyer has to make a profit and if he's in contact with someone like yourself ,he must know a bit about records and their values ?

To be honest , the $4000 he had his last copy up for is and was way above the value of 10 - 12 yrs back ,but as you say ,a deals a deal and if it's agreed ,its between the two parties and it's nobody elses business !

Grovelling apology to Andy and Jason who i would never knowingly wish to offend ,two top guys who are well respected ..END OF :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Very interesting those statements Nev ,I'd be astounded if Jason would feel that way-are these his words ?I ain't in the habit of having to explain myself but for the likes of Nev who are it appears popsike reference and googleable reliant for anything soul a few pointers. Just as the 45 was starting to get some play Jason found a small quantity and offered them to me as he did with most of the black music 45's he was finding at the time.We had done scores of deals on some fantastic records,which as a rule were at Jason's asking price,if he was unsure i'd give my shop floor opinion. From memory i had around 12 copies possibly15 at the most J had the odd couple he held back maybe due to condition issues - he sent them in lots of 3-4 with some months inbetween the consignments (each person who bought one was told the crack with the quantities) To be quite frank what i paid for them is between me and Jason and i'm sure he will agree with that ,but lets say a tad under a grand ($'s) for the earlier ones then over a grand($'s) for the latter copies.I then sold/traded copies for whatever in my opinion was the going rate ,that rate increased a little because of demand rtc.. but only a fraction of what it goes for now.That's the bottom line,Jason aswell as other lads come to me because i ,can move the 45's and i pay them the money ,it's all based on trust and respect one would think ? certainly Jason is amongst the most trustworthy and honourable out there regardless if he feels duped! Infact duped is a great word..Literally ... Ady Potts promoted a soul event in L.A strangely the same week as Kev Roberts promotion cut a long story short during that week my mate Kev Murphy amongst others over heard Ady proudly spouting he'd found some of Andy Dyson's top U.S contacts and made it clear to them that i was some kind of gangster ,crook and not to be trusted... Ah that was nice of him ,funny really although rellevent to the above Hamilton Movement scenario because Jason was one of the guys he said this to ( i mailed Jason who confirmed the spouting,but of course he thought nothing of it ) but the odd one or two other guys have never been in touch since this spouting ,just goes to show what folk say about you when you're not there to speak up for yourself ! ah the strange world of soul records...

Just hold on a minute here. Yes I did have a soul event in LA that week, with the full support of your mate Kev Murphy & others. The Angel City Soul Club had been running out there on a regular basis for some time. That week I never went anywhere looking for records, but if I had of done, why on earth would I say to your best mate that your "some kind of gangster ,crook and not to be trusted" ??

Regarding Jason, I met him once, at a record show (in San Francisco ?) but that wasn't at that time. I'd never talked to the guy before in my life, we probably talked for 10 minutes. He asked me if I knew you ? I said yes I did, he said he supplied you with records. Do you honestly think I'd have said you're a gangster, crook & not to be trusted ?

I don't think this has anything to do with what you're talking about here, does it Andy ? Is this about the fella that sold me Little Stanley - out of sight loving, Out of sights, etc., etc. I know you were spouting off about that to Carl, is this what this is about ? If it is, I purchased records off him on ebay over a period of time, he then offered me a superb pack of records. I paid him for them, they turned up, both of us happy. Not once did he ever mention your name.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!