Hamilton Movement

Jaco

Great record :thumbsup:

Anyone know where and when and who spun it first?

First time I ever saw it mentioned was by 'Daddy Bones' in his Big Daddy magazine.

As far as I know this was well before it had any plays on the Northern scene.

Seem to remember him saying that it might be of interest to Northern & Modern punters but it was a couple of years after that before I actually heard anyone playing it, probably due to it's scarcity.

Social source share

was my phone ringtone for ages.then @ one of the cleethorpes weekenders it must of got played about 10 times when @ its peak.

was sitting with weston on the sunday night & i said if i hear this record one more time....then weston goes god no im off to dance,lol.

im ok now & love it again.

Social source share

I don't really know. In my ignorance I would put forward Mr Barnyfather - but that's only cos like him! :g:

Probably not though.

:hatsoff2:

It was known by funk collectors well before it got picked on the soul scene. A small clutch of them were found and seemed as though more would turn up but they didn't. It got played a lot on the 70's and crossover scenes well before it became a big room northern favourite. I never get tired of it personally, wonderful uplifting dance soul music with more than a nod to Bobby Womack on lead vocals.

Jordi

Jordi

• Helpful 3
Social source share

It was known by funk collectors well before it got picked on the soul scene. A small clutch of them were found and seemed as though more would turn up but they didn't. It got played a lot on the 70's and crossover scenes well before it became a big room northern favourite. I never get tired of it personally, wonderful uplifting dance soul music with more than a nod to Bobby Womack on lead vocals.

Jordi

Jordi

It was apparently played on the northern scene about 20 years ago if memory serves me correctly, never went big as there wasn't that many copies about. That was until that small batch of 25 or so turned up.

Have seen a fantastic photo of the group, dressed in the most ridiculous 70's funky outfits you can imagine :D

Social source share

Pretty much as good as any 70s soul record ever played on the scene if you ask me. In the same ballpark quality-wise as the definitive seventies things like Carstairs or Montclairs. Had this been in the hands of the right djs as a new release it would be seen in the same light as those above mentioned classics.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Yes a fantastic record and as "Nice" said earlier for me sam was the first time i heard it although don't know if he was the first on the ns scene regards simon.

Social source share

Pretty much all the copies that turned up fell into the hands of top DJ's, Sam, Arthur, etc so not really down to one DJ when it went big early 2000's.

And no doubt cleared the dance floor ,because it would have sounded totally new to the "northern soul" crowd ?

Social source share

And no doubt cleared the dance floor ,because it would have sounded totally new to the "northern soul" crowd ?

nope was a biggie pretty much from the off. But as I've said it wasn't the first time it had been heard, that type of soul had been about years. You under estimate the Northern Crowd Nev, they do have a broad mind and always have done, don't forget crossover and such like had been about for years.

It actually got hammered when those copies turned up with so m any DJ's having a copy.

Social source share

Yes it was played to death, killed as a record long before it should have been.

This is basically what happened to good records in the scene's heyday. Few copies of a brilliant record turn up: everyone who plays newies has to have one; record gets hammered; eventually record gets dropped. Difference in the last decade is that not many records as good and relatively scarce are around the corner to replace it on playlists, as would have been the case in the 1970s. Perhaps because of that it stayed around too long and got over-exposed. A shame because listening to it again after a few years of not going near the thing reveals it be (to my ears at least) absolutely top notch. Used like any classic oldie in the right context I'm sure it will always do the business.

Now the dust has settled this record will always at least hold its value as it's great and has proven difficult to get hold of easily once more.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Pretty much all the copies that turned up fell into the hands of top DJ's, Sam, Arthur, etc so not really down to one DJ when it went big early 2000's.

Would agree with that Chalky - seem to recall Dean Johnson spinning it under the nose of some of the bigger boys around that period !

Social source share

Bit of a RnB fan then Steve :wicked:

yeah, although cut in the soul era, that tony clarke has 50s R&B throwback sound. Is that really in any way comparable to Hamilton Movement? Why not post the tony clarke in a house music thread?

the previous copy that was up had to be Jason Yoder's copy (from Indiana45s.com) he found some of his old Indiana stock and while most of it was cheap stuff there was at least one hamilton movement.

I don't understand how the Hamilton Movement has like 7 45s and this is the only good one in my opinion. I heard that the lead is Melvin Brown, who also sang lead in the Moovin' Soothin' Stone Funk Band. Most of their records are nice. But he doesn't sound Womack-ish on those so maybe he's not the lead on this cut?

Social source share

yeah, although cut in the soul era, that tony clarke has 50s R&B throwback sound. Is that really in any way comparable to Hamilton Movement? Why not post the tony clarke in a house music thread?

the previous copy that was up had to be Jason Yoder's copy (from Indiana45s.com) he found some of his old Indiana stock and while most of it was cheap stuff there was at least one hamilton movement.

I don't understand how the Hamilton Movement has like 7 45s and this is the only good one in my opinion. I heard that the lead is Melvin Brown, who also sang lead in the Moovin' Soothin' Stone Funk Band. Most of their records are nice. But he doesn't sound Womack-ish on those so maybe he's not the lead on this cut?

but they are still both classed as northern soul even tho totally different.styles.....never really got on with the tony clarke..a bit of a dirge.....hamilton movement all the way for me but only an 8

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I prised mine out of Jason's hands when his car engine needed replacing! Must've been 2000/01? Maybe later, can't remember. Certainly after Sam / Arthur etc had been spinning it though....... Hadn't Keb kicked it off on his scene or summat?......

First time I played it at my Cleethorpes Winter Gardens night one of the (ahem) 'local heros' stormed up to the decks and told me in no uncertain terms that it was an utter pile of shyte etc etc. :) Happy days!

Social source share

Although I never met mr Indiana 45's aka Jason Yoder ,I did have Regular contact with him a few yrs back and was forever badgering him for his last copy of Hamilton movement .

He maintained to me that he would never sell his last copy because he was a collector of all things Indiana and only sold spares :(

But he did tell me that he had found a batch of the Hamilton movement and sold them to Uk guys for a lot less than they were worth ...

He realised yrs later that those nice ,sincere UK guys had Duped him out of a small fortune .

He was living in Switzerland with his girlfriend when he sold that last copy ,hence the Popsike reference .

He also turned up the copies of Rey Villlar & the royal flush ....now where's my copy ?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

nope was a biggie pretty much from the off. But as I've said it wasn't the first time it had been heard, that type of soul had been about years. You under estimate the Northern Crowd Nev, they do have a broad mind and always have done, don't forget crossover and such like had been about for years.

It actually got hammered when those copies turned up with so m any DJ's having a copy.

Yeah it was already well known in the early 2000s, I remember it being played at the CIS in Manchester in the late 90s, I think it was Pat Brady who played it, or might have been Kenny Burrell. At the time it was around £600 - £800.

Social source share

I prised mine out of Jason's hands when his car engine needed replacing! Must've been 2000/01? Maybe later, can't remember. Certainly after Sam / Arthur etc had been spinning it though....... Hadn't Keb kicked it off on his scene or summat?......

First time I played it at my Cleethorpes Winter Gardens night one of the (ahem) 'local heros' stormed up to the decks and told me in no uncertain terms that it was an utter pile of shyte etc etc. :) Happy days!

& great to hear it in your sets at Cleethorpes weekender & 100 Club recently :thumbsup:

Social source share

The first time I heard the Hamilton Movement was when Ian Wright played it to me down the phone. I can't remember the exact date, but would guess late 90's ? I picked one up off ebay shortly after hearing it, it wasn't much money.

It definitly wasn't an instant hit on the dance floor. I remember my son was dj'ing at Prestwich & I asked him if he'd play it for me in his set. I think he was on after Ginger. It was packed that night.

Anyway, half way through his set he sticks the H.M. on. The floor was rammed from the previous record. I've never seen such a packed floor of people empty so quick, there were hundreds of people on it one minute then 30 seconds into the record there was one single person on the floor, right in the middle. He was dancing on the spot with his eyes shut ! This is the honest truth. He then opened his eyes, looked around him, then almost ran off the floor ! :facepalm:

When he came down from behind the decks the record was launched at me like a frisbee.

Social source share

Although I never met mr Indiana 45's aka Jason Yoder ,I did have Regular contact with him a few yrs back and was forever badgering him for his last copy of Hamilton movement .

He maintained to me that he would never sell his last copy because he was a collector of all things Indiana and only sold spares :(

But he did tell me that he had found a batch of the Hamilton movement and sold them to Uk guys for a lot less than they were worth ...

He realised yrs later that those nice ,sincere UK guys had Duped him out of a small fortune .

He was living in Switzerland with his girlfriend when he sold that last copy ,hence the Popsike reference .

He also turned up the copies of Rey Villlar & the royal flush ....now where's my copy ?

He found 20 odd and they went to three dealers as far as I'm aware. Hardly being duped when a dealer offers a small quantity to UK dealers and he agrees a price is it? It would be around 2003/4 if memory serves me correctly, early days of Lifeline time wise.

Social source share

The first time I heard the Hamilton Movement was when Ian Wright played it to me down the phone. I can't remember the exact date, but would guess late 90's ? I picked one up off ebay shortly after hearing it, it wasn't much money.

It definitly wasn't an instant hit on the dance floor. I remember my son was dj'ing at Prestwich & I asked him if he'd play it for me in his set. I think he was on after Ginger. It was packed that night.

Anyway, half way through his set he sticks the H.M. on. The floor was rammed from the previous record. I've never seen such a packed floor of people empty so quick, there were hundreds of people on it one minute then 30 seconds into the record there was one single person on the floor, right in the middle. He was dancing on the spot with his eyes shut ! This is the honest truth. He then opened his eyes, looked around him, then almost ran off the floor ! :facepalm:

When he came down from behind the decks the record was launched at me like a frisbee.

i remember that night well Ady and you offering me that copy around your gaff for a lot less than todays value!,...if only id written out that cheque! :huh:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Is that the 'Love Stormy Weather' Melvin Brown?....

Yes its the same Melvin Brown steve.

He (along with James Matthews) were in Hamilton Movement with King Soloman, Wayne Ewing and Johnny Davis.

Quite a lineup.

I've always thought Melvin was on lead on 'She's Gone' but that's because there's ONE good vocalist on Love's Stormy Weather who I understood was Melvin (the vocalist that comes in second).

Can't stand the bloody record, but the guy can sing.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

He (along with James Matthews) were in Hamilton Movement with King Soloman, Wayne Ewing and Johnny Davis.

Quite a lineup.

I've always thought Melvin was on lead on 'She's Gone' but that's because there's ONE good vocalist on Love's Stormy Weather who I understood was Melvin (the vocalist that comes in second).

Sean

Ahh! Cheers Sean! I'm always rubbish at knowing who was in what group etc!! :)

(Hey and if you've got a Love Stormy Weather tucked away in your box but don't really like it Sean..... then give it to me me me me!!!!!! I loves it!! Always remind me of Rod djing in his slippers..... )

Social source share

Ahh! Cheers Sean! I'm always rubbish at knowing who was in what group etc!! :)

(Hey and if you've got a Love Stormy Weather tucked away in your box but don't really like it Sean..... then give it to me me me me!!!!!! I loves it!! Always remind me of Rod djing in his slippers..... )

Haha! I have far better memories of Rod Djing in his slippers than that pile of poop!

:D

TBH it was a real anti-climax tune for me. Remember all the chatter going around, before it was played, about how awesome it was.

Dance floor reaction was amazing first time out - and every Essence thereafter - but it always left me (and the other Rotherham lads) cold.

Limp wristed ballad tosh mate.

If I had a copy you'd be welcome to it!

Honest! :)

Sean

Social source share

Quite a lineup.

Sean

which one sean..hamilton or love stormy..........oops just read above bit

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

Interesting Nev, i got my Rey Villar direct from Jason, i've bought a lot of stuff from him over the years and others....Your post made me think, i've had contact with people almost on a yearly basis..that i've never met...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!