Let's Hear It For The Drummer

Dayo

Love the drums. Really get off on killer percussion - and some of the guys that played on our anthems were simply awesome.

I mean, we all love Motown for the driving beat, tasteful pick ups and awesome fills by Benny Benjamin, Richard "Pistol" Allen, George McGregor, Clifford Mack and even Marvin Gaye. But so many other great drummers graced our favourites, unsung for the most part.

For example, can you imagine the Salvadors without those blinding drum fills and congas? Those guys was no journeymen.

So....

Any other tracks that stand out for you just for the drumming alone?

Off the top of my head:

O'Jays - Working on your case (Snare that just cracks and fizzes. In fact, the early Gamble and Huff stuff was always stand out for the drumming imho)

Robert Parker - Watch Your Step (Toms and Cymbals)

Dana Valery - YDKWYIL (He doesn't do a lot, but the little fills towards the end still give me tingles)

Colin

Social source share

• Replies 48
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Thunderous warning of the kettle drums in Gladys Knight's Tell her Your Mine, and the crazy, manic celebratory kettles in the Invitations' Skiing in the Snow.

Two favorites of mine for utter drumming brilliance:

Impressions- womans got soul (abc) brilliant brilliant brilliant

Sylvia Robins- Don't let you eyes get bigger than your heart (Sue) (just listen to those amazing fills from the get-go!)

Social source share

Guest Jimmy Scriv

Always rated That Driving Beat - Willie Mitchell for its drum intro. My particular favourite though is Frankie Beverley - If thats what you wanted excellent Hi-Hat. One record which has tremendous drumming is Lovin by the Pound - Otis.

Turn the beat around, love to here percussion.

Social source share

Love the drums. Really get off on killer percussion - and some of the guys that played on our anthems were simply awesom.

Colin

I just love the orchestra drums on Reparata and the Delrons...............I can hear the rain...................Rca-Victor, with Hash Brown and his Orchestra.

Edited by asboannie
Social source share

good god, how could I forget the ULTIMATE drumming performance (IMO), me and the mrs we only just listening to this the other week on the stereogram at home. Sometimes it easy to overlook this utterly spectacular record due to the overfamiliarity. We've reactivated it on our living room and I suggest you do likewise.

Roy Hamilton - the panic is on - go and listen, that drummer deserves instant recognition throughout the world as the very best drummer ever ever ever.... the track would only be a shadow if it's utter greatness without that drumming..... I salute you Mr Drummer.... :thumbsup:

Social source share

good god, how could I forget the ULTIMATE drumming performance (IMO), me and the mrs we only just listening to this the other week on the stereogram at home. Sometimes it easy to overlook this utterly spectacular record due to the overfamiliarity. We've reactivated it on our living room and I suggest you do likewise.

Roy Hamilton - the panic is on - go and listen, that drummer deserves instant recognition throughout the world as the very best drummer ever ever ever.... the track would only be a shadow if it's utter greatness without that drumming..... I salute you Mr Drummer.... :thumbsup:

Well spotted. Masterly drumming ,indeed. Immense power plus wouldn't harm a humming bird's egg delicacy in the filagree bits. The recording engineer did well to grab it so cleanly.Playing it loud throiugh headphones right now.

Edited by Billy Freemantle
Social source share

Come on what about LANDSLIDE.

Apparantly, Pat Brady met the drummer who did this classic whilst waiting in the lobby at radio Hallam.

Ed

I'm almost sure I heard that distinctive drum intro sampled and looped on some hip hop thing last year. Given the label and artist, I still can't believe it took so long for that record to turn up and get played out.

Social source share

I'm almost sure I heard that distinctive drum intro sampled and looped on some hip hop thing last year. Given the label and artist, I still can't believe it took so long for that record to turn up and get played out.

speaking of sampled drum action.... smokey joe's la la has a pretty beefy drum backing, though it probably scores higher for strength and timing than it does for imagination and lightness of touch :thumbsup:

Social source share

It's on one of the Bristol groups albums - Portishead or Tricky - from about 1996 I think

Social source share

Dave Moore can dance AND play the air drums! :yes:

And I feel I'm particularly adept at the "air" saxaphone too (both alto and Tenor!) In fact I've been known to imitate a whole orchestra whilst "bimbling around" on various dancefloors around the world!! :yes: . There is actually a World Champoinships of "air" instruments!! Only in America eh? :thumbsup:

Regards,

Dave

https://www.hitsvillesoulclub.com/

Social source share

Love the drum in Joyce Kennedy's I'm a Good Girl, especially during the mind blowing Violin break toward the end.

For sheer agression though opening bars to Eric Mercury Lonely Girl does it for me

Social source share

I'll get stick for this choice but I dont care, the guy sang an all time Northern classic and many other great soul records. Little Richard "The girl cant help it" I swear they used an octapus for the drumming on that song. 50s soul and then some.

I'll get me coat

BH

Social source share

I'll get stick for this choice but I dont care, the guy sang an all time Northern classic and many other great soul records. Little Richard "The girl cant help it" I swear they used an octapus for the drumming on that song. 50s soul and then some.

I'll get me coat

BH

That would be Earl Palmer who went on to drum at Gold Star for Spector and then became full time secretary for the AFM Los Angeles Local. He''s drumming again.

Social source share

Always rated That Driving Beat - Willie Mitchell for its drum intro. My particular favourite though is Frankie Beverley - If thats what you wanted excellent Hi-Hat. One record which has tremendous drumming is Lovin by the Pound - Otis.

Turn the beat around, love to here percussion.

People forget that Booker T's drummer Al Jackson also played with Willie Mitchell and that could be Al on That Driving Beat.

Social source share

O'Jays - Working on your case (Snare that just cracks and fizzes. In fact, the early Gamble and Huff stuff was always stand out for the drumming imho)

Colin

In between Bobby Gregg at Cameo and Earl Young in the disco days of Sigma Sound the main drummer was Karl Chambers. it could be him.

Social source share

A few contenders:

The mindblowing kettle drum blitz at the start of Shirley Edwards "Dream My Heart"

Ace military band-style drum rolls through two sides on LeBam that use similar backing tracks - the Singers' "Just A Little But Further" and King Solomon's "Something's Wrong With Me"

The killer drumwork on all the stuff put out on Rojac - Gareth Sweeney once suggested a name for the bloke but I've lost it in my brain somewhere - perhaps he can give us a reminder if he's around somewhere.

But the one that always has me scrambling for the air drumsticks has to be the middle bit of Little Johnny Hamilton's "Oh how I Love You" - like Animal from the Muppets going all out to win a drumskin busting competition, this reaches such intense heights of concentrated ferocity that there's a moment when you can almost see the doubtful looks flicking between the other musicians, none actually daring to voice the thought they're all sharing - "how did I agree to be locked in a studio for three hours with this maniac?" whistling.gif . Unmissable.

Nick

Social source share

Dayo,

Great thread. I know you mentioned the Motown greats, Benny, Pistol etc, but what about the drumming on Only Your Love Can Save Me by the Marvelettes? Awesome.

Agree. In fact the whole "Sophisticated Soul" album is worth a mention for it's sublime arrangements. Motown at it's very best.

Someone mentioned the drumming on Dan Varner's classic. Powerhouse stuff and my girlfriends fave for that reason.

Social source share

betty lloyd -i'm catching on POWERHOUSE DRUMMING

chantels-indian giver

joe hicks-don't it make you feel funky

inspirations-wish is my command-

montclairs-hey you,don't fight it-

young holt-california montage

Above are a few of my fav' drumming arrangements

:ohmy: Carl

Social source share

betty lloyd -i'm catching on POWERHOUSE DRUMMING

chantels-indian giver

joe hicks-don't it make you feel funky

inspirations-wish is my command-

montclairs-hey you,don't fight it-

young holt-california montage

Above are a few of my fav' drumming arrangements

:ohmy: Carl

Joe Hicks - now that's a killer drum track! :P

Social source share

Guest barnsey

not realy known for his drumming first and foremost but never the less drummed for the motown stable so should in my opinion get a mention here mr melvin davies :ohmy:

Social source share

My favourite is the drummer from the Lost Soul - Secret of mine, an octupus on speed! He's only got two drums and a cymbil, but god is he getting his money's worth. Obviously a great inspiration to Tony McCarroll!

This and Eric Mercury pick of the bunch mentioned so far imo. whistling.gif

If it's Kettle drums though ... head and shoulders above everything else ... Chapter 5 beer.gif

Social source share

Surprised no ones mentioned the Mello Souls - We Can Make It. From kicking in after a few seconds the drummer hardly lets up, he must have been f*cked after that session whistling.gif

Also when listening to Mel Williams - Burn Baby Burn. The druimmer there all the way through practically but after a minute or so, along with the female backing he just steps up the pace a notch, great stuff whistling.gif

Social source share

Don Varner - Tear Stained Face.

and Tomangoes - I Really Love You for that pounding building bass drum thingy

Tip Top

Don Varner - Tear Stained Face.

and Tomangoes - I Really Love You for that pounding building bass drum thingy

Tip Top

Tearstained Face is remarkable - the Quinvy house drummer does a full shift throughout. Even Don gets a tea break half way through when the girlie vocals come in. But the drummer is still in there. Give him double time, and this is a Sunday too.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert