How Rare Is This, Uk Demo In 2012?

dthedrug

:hatsoff2: HI ALL......HOW RARE IS THIS UK 45 IN 2012?

We all no this Non-Northern Soul classic, even if you were not in the CLASS of 72, issued on LONDON, LIBERTY & EMI INTERNATIONAL, FATS DOMINO "IT KEEPS RAININ" LONDON HLP 9374 DEMO,

HOW OFTEN HAVE YOU SEEN THE DEMO? IF EVER?

:g: I would love John Manship to do one of his excellent and descriptive write up, any ideas and maybe a speculative value as well? :ohmy: PS my scanner is broken?? :( DAVEpost-13241-0-49290100-1347398926_thumb.j

Social source share

"Seldom does one get the chance to hold one of the original Northern Soul scene's most cherished records, but rarer still will be the opportunity to hold a rarer-than-rare yellow UK demo on one of the most cherised of all U.K. labels, London. This incredibly poignant slab of early Soul music can only be described as the epitomy of what we would now call a classic beat ballad.

But what a beat ballad! One can almost hear the echoes of Fats nonchalant phrasing whirling around the Twisted Wheel to a packed dance-floor. This record is one of the foundations of the entire Soul scene. To actually hold one of the 'rumoured until now' yellow London demos in your hand, is to undergo a transformation which will connect you with the very heart of the glorious scene from it's birth almost 50 years ago. This is history and you cannot put a price on it.

And for this reason, we have withdrawn it from sale".

How's that Dave? :lol:

Ian D :D

condition condition :) so funny mr d
Social source share

condition condition :) so funny mr d

Good point Toad. Now re-edited with the following addition:-

Oh, and did we mention condition??????

This has never been touched by human hands! As a promotional gift to match the yellow demo, London records gave away a pair of brand new yellow latex washing up gloves which the previous owner always donned before he examined the record. It was never played, only examined OK? With latex gloves. Did we mention condition????"

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

"Seldom does one get the chance to hold one of the original Northern Soul scene's most cherished records, but rarer still will be the opportunity to hold a rarer-than-rare yellow UK demo on one of the most cherished of all U.K. labels, London. This incredibly poignant slab of early Soul music can only be described as the epitome of what we would now call a classic beat ballad.

But what a beat ballad! One can almost hear the echoes of Fats nonchalant phrasing whirling around the Twisted Wheel to a packed dance-floor. This record is one of the foundations of the entire Soul scene. To actually hold one of the 'rumoured until now' yellow London demos in your hand, is to undergo a transformation which will connect you with the very heart of the glorious scene from it's birth almost 50 years ago.

Oh, and did we mention condition??????

This has never been touched by human hands! As a promotional gift to match the yellow demo, London records gave away a pair of brand new yellow latex washing up gloves which the previous owner always donned before he examined the record. It was never played, only examined OK? With latex gloves. Did we mention condition????

This is history and you cannot put a price on it.

And for this reason, we have withdrawn it from sale".

How's that Dave? :lol:

:hatsoff2: HI ABSALUTELY BANG ON BRUVVER! IT WAS AS IF "RANKING JOHNNY BOY" IM IN THE ROOM WITH I,

I actually have been after this record since 1984 when it was listed on MJ RECORDS LIST £50, SOLD. This copy in ex+ condition. come from well known London dealers and collector of UK RARE SOUL WIL JOHNSON, Who has had many treasures on his lists over the years, in 2012 I really miss the days when a RARE RECORD LIST, was posted, apart from Will J, Ian CLARK & MJ Records, every now & again, the concept has almost gone,MARTIN KOPEL had a great list, also Dopey Dick, list of 20000 records was a good read?? the thing with proper lists they were crammed with all the records I wanted, most lists are today filled up with 7t's DISCO B sides and re-packaged as rare, of course It's a matter of taste but RARE well maybe good yes, but classic soul??? I think not, MODERN SOUL sounds great if your making LOVE, (SO ONCE YOU HAVE PLAYED 1 RECORD?) :wicked: YOU GET MY DRIFT :g: DAVE

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Ian that was one of the funniest things I"ve read on here, thanks for sharing it.

Dave, in answer to your question, what's it worth?

Is there any point in me answering, as you always disagree with me LOL

Right I've been selling a lot of London demos lately, some of which I'd never had before and which must be very very scarce, except the value doesn't reflect that.

Even pop things like Dick & Dee Dee - The Mountains High - how often do you see a demo of that? Or Gene McDaniels - Tower Of Strength demo? Booker T - Green Onions demo? These are all very very hard to come by. If I was selling the Fats Domino record on a demo I'd ask £75, on an issue £15 in fact I have an issue for £15.

Social source share

Personally, I think the Shop Around EP on London has got to be the rarest of the London soul items from this era (1961 - 1962). Didn't you have one of those, Pete?

I remember you did have the orange London demo of "Shop Around / Who's Lovin' You" - very nice!

I did mate, well remembered, that was 24 years ago!

I think there are a lot of rare London demos from around that time, I've had things like Fortune Teller and Unsatisfied, the Tommy Tucker is a rare one and the Justin JOnes might well be the rarest - but people have to remember that like Decca who distributed them, London pressed a sh*tload of demos so they possibly are not as rare as people would think or have us believe.

Social source share

I think there are a lot of rare London demos from around that time, I've had things like Fortune Teller and Unsatisfied, the Tommy Tucker is a rare one and the Justin JOnes might well be the rarest - but people have to remember that like Decca who distributed them, London pressed a sh*tload of demos so they possibly are not as rare as people would think or have us believe.

Tommy Tucker was a white label London demo from what I can remember - like the 'Spector' productions from 1964. And a UK only issue, wasn't it?

Social source share

In MOST cases, I'd much rather have the issue. Having said that, the variety of Demos on London do look nice.

Social source share

In MOST cases, I'd much rather have the issue. Having said that, the variety of Demos on London do look nice.

Collectors of rock n'roll and doo-wop have always preferred the stock copy over the demo, for some reason. Probably an aesthetic thing, and maybe also that pre-1961 Decca-type demos were all single-sided.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Collectors of rock n'roll and doo-wop have always preferred the stock copy over the demo, for some reason. Probably an aesthetic thing, and maybe also that pre-1961 Decca-type demos were all single-sided.

I didn't know that. And your reasoning makes some kind of sense.

I do like those two one-sided Demos and have a few.

I've even got an Otis Williams & the Charms on a UK Parlophone 78rpm as twin one-sided white Demos, they look really cool.

Edited by denbo
Social source share

I've even got an Otis Williams & the Charms on a UK Parlophone 78rpm as twin one-sided white Demos, they look really cool.

Yes. EMI issued single-sided 78 demos until about mid-1957, after which they changed to white double-sided 45 demos. The 78 demos do look nice, I have to admit.

It's been assumed that single-sided demos were intended for Radio DJs who wanted to play one side immediately after the other.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Yes. EMI issued single-sided 78 demos until about mid-1957, after which they changed to white double-sided 45 demos. The 78 demos do look nice, I have to admit.

It's been assumed that single-sided demos were intended for Radio DJs who wanted to play one side immediately after the other.

There's a kind of inbetween stage as well though, I had a Hank Ballard single from 1961 on UK Parlophone as two single sided test pressings!

Social source share

Especially in absolutely stonking MINT condition. :thumbsup:

To be honest, I've never seen any other single-sided 78rpm Demos

I guess I would if I knew more UK labelled Rock & Roll collectors perhaps?

Social source share

Good point. But I was told that it was done like that so they wouldn't / couldn't play the wrong side. Your suggestion sounds more feasible to me now that I've heard it.

Social source share

Especially in absolutely stonking MINT condition. :thumbsup:

To be honest, I've never seen any other single-sided 78rpm Demos

I guess I would if I knew more UK labelled Rock & Roll collectors perhaps?

The Decca group of labels (London, Vogue, etc) also issued single-sided 78 demos until about 1954 - 1955, but I don't know of any collectable 78 demos issued on these labels - probably because they pre-dated RnR. All the ones I've seen are by Mantovani, Vera Lynn etc.

The earliest single-sided 45 demos from the Decca Group that I've seen date back to 1956.

Edited by Gene-R
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

The Decca group of labels (London, Vogue, etc) also issued single-sided 78 demos until about 1954 - 1955, but I don't know of any collectable 78 demos issued on these labels - probably because they pre-dated RnR. All the ones I've seen are by Mantovani, Vera Lynn etc.

And yet my Parlophone 78rpm one-sided Demos were released in 1957.

Social source share

I think not, MODERN SOUL sounds great if your making LOVE, (SO ONCE YOU HAVE PLAYED 1 RECORD?) :wicked: YOU GET MY DRIFT :g: DAVE

Not really Dave. I could understand if you were in a hurry, but Modern Soul has never been my preference for lovemaking. A bit frenetic if you know what I mean. I x Modern Soul record = approximately 3 minutes and it takes me that long just to stretch my legs..... :lol:

Social source share

Not really Dave. I could understand if you were in a hurry, but Modern Soul has never been my preference for lovemaking. A bit frenetic if you know what I mean. I x Modern Soul record = approximately 3 minutes and it takes me that long just to stretch my legs..... :lol:

You mean you can still stretch other things at your age Ian :D

Steve

Social source share

Ian that was one of the funniest things I've read on here, thanks for sharing it.

Dave, in answer to your question, what's it worth?

Is there any point in me answering, as you always disagree with me LOL

Right I've been selling a lot of London demos lately, some of which I'd never had before and which must be very very scarce, except the value doesn't reflect that.

Even pop things like Dick & Dee Dee - The Mountains High - how often do you see a demo of that? Or Gene McDaniels - Tower Of Strength demo? Booker T - Green Onions demo? These are all very very hard to come by. If I was selling the Fats Domino record on a demo I'd ask £75, on an issue £15 in fact I have an issue for £15.

:hatsoff2: HI PETE For the record you are probably right maybe £100 tops, MJ Records had £50 in 87, with the comments CLASSIC OLDIE (V-Rare Yellow DEMO). my point of view on the price of records, as you no, Is that if you took 5 people and said "I want you to find me a copy of XXXXXXXXX 45 in EX-MINT for me to play this SATURDAY Night?" and this may be achieved by some people on SOULSOURCE, as they are in the no, However the public would struggle, if you follow my drift,

As I am a fool I have every issue of RC-Magazine, why I really don't no, as it was this publication that, in my opinion made a president of turning set sale items, and allowing the orid OFFERS, To be used, then come EBay with Auctions, this allowed us to get hold of records OK, it also took away a chunk of my hobby so to speak, looking in charity & junk shops, also car boots,

However as I have done this in the past, and like yourself looked through 100,000+ 45s I have not seen this record at all,

to conclude I have a liberty , Demo if you no someone, as the LONDON means more to myself, Our PEP use to play the liberty demo, he has his fans? that would like it? it's in excellent condition if not MICK will be at the next VIP RECORD FAIR with ROY GELDER yourself Rob Pheasant, & myself, what is the date for this meet up PETE? :wicked: IT'S WORK :g: DAVE

Social source share

You mean you can still stretch other things at your age Ian :D

Steve

Yeah. I'm still pretty supple and demonstrating tendencies that are not becoming of my age. :thumbsup:

It's weird mate. In my head I'm a lot younger than I am. Plus I don't really feel that old. But everytime I get too cocky, I suddenly become aware that maybe I'm not as robust as I thought......

But, hey, other than the odd muscle cramp, 80% deafness, natural mental degradation, regular breathing difficulties and marginally less energy due to the demands of a full-time job, I generally feel OK....... :lol:

I really applaud DHthe Drug for saying what he wants to say and having the sponteneity to launch threads which reflect his passion.

"It's Keeps Rainin'" was a record I got introduced to when I first got on the scene. It was an 'oldie' at that time, but there again, so was Jimmy Radcliffe's "Long After Tonight Is All Over". I'd almost forgotten it until Dave brought it up.......

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!