Vinyl Disasters: Tales Of Woe :(

Jhsoulnotts

Ey up everyone!

Got a new record through the post today, finished work, rushed home to stick it on the turntable, busy listening away, started to shuffle... in other words lovin it! All of a sudden, shhhhhhhhuuuuuuuuuuwwwwwwwwwp! :hypo:

Fookin cat jumps on the turntable, Claws all over the fookin place! :facepalm:

Not expensive (at all) and luckily there is no damage to the disk or the TT! :sweatingbullets:

Got me thinking though, there must be loads of horror stories out there of vinyl horror and disaster! There must be some expensive records met with untimely death!

If its not too traumatic I would love to here em!?! :thumbup:

J

Edited by Jhsoulnotts
Social source share

I agreed to sell my copy of Joanne Courcey - I Got The Power, to Max Millward, I said I'd drop it off at his shop which was about 10 miles away from me, so I thought rather than have it on the seat next to me where it's bound to get broken, I'll put it in a mailer, so I slid it into a mailer which already had card board in it, it met with a bit of resistance so I pushed harder - and put my finger straight through it, leaving a 2cm crack from the edge.

I gave it to Max, he was chuffed with it and gave me the £500 I was asking, I said no Max, look closer, and eventually he spotted the crack and I gave him £300 back...

Social source share

Don't know why I needed to clean a mint copy of the fidels on maverick, but i did and to my cost as I turned it, it cracked right through... Bugger!

Asked myself the same question with a copy of Darlene Love - Stumble and Fall on Phillies..........Ouch!!

Another which still makes me want to punch the wall is when years ago I'd bought a lot of 25 "latin/tex-mex" 45's as a $20 ebay buy it now back when the exchange rate was 2 for 1. No artists were listed but I noticed a copy of Sunny & the Sunliners "If I Could See You Now" plus a couple of other titles among the records in the photo so thought worth a punt. The records arrived and most were rough but I was chuffed "If I Could See You Now" was close to mint. All needed a good clean so I lent them upright on the work top in front of the microwave while I got stuff together then turned and watched the youngest family member enter the kitchen and inexplicably press the door release on the microwave. The door popped open sending the records tumbling onto the tiled floor. 24 of the records remained unscathed, only the decent one got damaged...a dirty great chunk out of the edge. I said nothing, just glared, little 'un started to cry. I didn't console her.............does that make me a bad man?

Anyway, just to add insult to injury, later, when the wife arrived home, young 'un said "mummy, daddy has made me cry", the story was retold & the wife, who is unsympathathetic to my record buying, gave it me in the neck as if it were my fault.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

deaf and blinkered..

If you looked through my records you'd realise I'm far from blinkered...

and now I'm going to moderate myself for going off topic.

Please keep on topic, Thanks.

Back on topic, I had a wheeled office chair in my old record room, and the records were piled haphazardly all over the shop.

The phone rang, i backed up, a pile of 45s slipped and I managed to run over a handful of them.

Damage - couple of cheap motown bits shattered and a mint white demo of Eddie Parker on Ashford with a triangle of vinyl missing from label to the outer edge.

Social source share

Had my newly purchased mint George Smith crack from heat shock taking it out for 'safe keeping' to the Crewe minibus in about -5C from Shotts in full steam.

Les Cokell stood on my Luther Ingram at his flat when he was ill - cracked right across one side, but still plays cleanly.

Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
Social source share

Got a copy of sad girl sent from the states. It was winter and we had bad snow. Postie had left the package on the step . When I got home wearing boots And all I kicked the step to get rid of the snow. Cracked the record in three pieces

Bugger

Steve

Postie would have been shown the same boot the next time he left a parcel on the step.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

after years of buying stuff and getting it posted with no problems my border collie decided to start biting stuff that came through the letter box, gas bills, betterware catalogs its funny, copies of bobby hutton records on styrene phillips is not funny, after getting the package off the dog and opening it "come see whats left" really sprung to mind :(

Social source share

Guest Arcticsoulboy

Many moons ago I got a nice mint copy of Eddie´s my name with an extra label on one side, that stuck just with a litte dab of glue. Hmm, how to remove it without tearing the label underneath I thought and then got a bright idea: steam! Out comes the water cooker, power on, lid off and into the steam goes the record. Three seconds later I end up with something looking like a black taco. Doh! The extra label came off nice and clean though...

Social source share

I guess you've all heard about the one were Richard Searling, after lifting his records out of the boot of his car, accidentally reversed over one of the boxes he'd forgotten to move out of the way. The only record that got damaged was his UK copy of Billy Harner's What About The Music instrumental on Kama Sutra. Dog rare!!! :(

Social source share

This is not a story about vinyl but a copy of Blues & Soul, so please excuse the poetic licence.

My old pal Frank Jackson (may he rest in peace) and I, after returning to his flat from a record hunting trip around Liverpool one weekend, were greeted by the fact that his cat had sh@t on his latest copy of Blues & Soul. He wouldn't have minded so much but he hadn't read it yet. The cat got a right kickin' up the @rse. All's I can remember was Frank's series of expletives followed by a cat screaming and flying through the air before smashing into a wall on the opposite side of the room. What a laugh. Sorry if there are any cat lovers reading this but you had to be there to see the funny side of it. The cat was alright by the way and lived a long and peaceful life. It had learned a hard lesson that day. :yes:

Social source share

my copy ov don thomas;come on train..white dj. had it years lil edge nick,my mate said touch the edge with a match stick with super glue on.did it.mmm put it on the dining table on a piece ov kitchen roll..somebody was knockin the door....bloody jovo,s...came back tryed to pick it up............................stuck solid to the polished dining table.

eventualy got it off in pieces.......bloody helly i swear i only put a spot on it...man table nackered,record nackered.

so was i wen the woman came back...cost me a fkin fortune...............dont do tips...xxxxxxx

Social source share

my copy ov don thomas;come on train..white dj. had it years lil edge nick,my mate said touch the edge with a match stick with super glue on.did it.mmm put it on the dining table on a piece ov kitchen roll..somebody was knockin the door....bloody jovo,s...came back tryed to pick it up............................stuck solid to the polished dining table.

eventualy got it off in pieces.......bloody helly i swear i only put a spot on it...man table nackered,record nackered.

so was i wen the woman came back...cost me a fkin fortune...............dont do tips...xxxxxxx

Can imagine you trying to get it on the decks with the table attached to it LOL

Social source share

Two sad tales:

I had a YDJ of "You Fooled Me"Â by Lou Roberts which had a 2"Â hairline crack from the edge. Laid it on a table with the B-side facing upwards, and attempted to seal the crack on the B-side with the flame from my cigarette lighter. Misjudged, and burnt a big hole through the record.

Not a soul record, but I had bought "Stack-O-Lee"Â by Archibald on an Imperial 78 from Times Square Records for $30. Played it on the day I got it, and loved it. The next day, I had just woken up from an afternoon nap and, in my tired state, attempted to play it again. Pulled it out of the sleeve, and it fell from my fingers straight on to the platter of my Goldring GL75 turntable, smashing it in two pieces. Gutted.......

Social source share

Two sad tales:

I had a YDJ of "You Fooled Me"Â by Lou Roberts which had a 2"Â hairline crack from the edge. Laid it on a table with the B-side facing upwards, and attempted to seal the crack on the B-side with the flame from my cigarette lighter. Misjudged, and burnt a big hole through the record.

Not a soul record, but I had bought "Stack-O-Lee"Â by Archibald on an Imperial 78 from Times Square Records for $30. Played it on the day I got it, and loved it. The next day, I had just woken up from an afternoon nap and, in my tired state, attempted to play it again. Pulled it out of the sleeve, and it fell from my fingers straight on to the platter of my Goldring GL75 turntable, smashing it in two pieces. Gutted.......

is that the cracked copy i had off you a couple of years ago, plays fine

Social source share

after years of buying stuff and getting it posted with no problems my border collie decided to start biting stuff that came through the letter box, gas bills, betterware catalogs its funny, copies of bobby hutton records on styrene phillips is not funny, after getting the package off the dog and opening it "come see whats left" really sprung to mind :(

That record must be cursed. I bust the Bobby Hutton on Phillips and Oscar Perry's "He Sent Me You" on Mercury when I rolled my car on the way back from Cleethorpes in the mid 70's.....

Ian D :D

Social source share

Not me, but a mate of mine recently told me this story, this would have been in the 70's, had just acquired a mint demo of Vyonne Baker's You Didn't Say A Word on Parkway, apparently, a lad he knows asked him if could he would take it out of his bag & look at it, as he got it in his hands, he somehow turned & walked straight into a lampost with it, smashed it in two, my mate Jeff said he could have wept.

Aid.

Social source share

Ey up everyone!

Got a new record through the post today, finished work, rushed home to stick it on the turntable, busy listening away, started to shuffle... in other words lovin it! All of a sudden, shhhhhhhhuuuuuuuuuuwwwwwwwwwp! :hypo:

Fookin cat jumps on the turntable, Claws all over the fookin place! :facepalm:

Not expensive (at all) and luckily there is no damage to the disk or the TT! :sweatingbullets:

Got me thinking though, there must be loads of horror stories out there of vinyl horror and disaster! There must be some expensive records met with untimely death!

If its not too traumatic I would love to here em!?! :thumbup:

J

thats a very naughty pussy you have :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

took my mint copy of timmie williams off the decks at lowton while guesting and snapped it across one side, it still played fine when clicked together, mick h took it off my hands for half price when i sold up.

Social source share

Not me, but a mate of mine recently told me this story, this would have been in the 70's, had just acquired a mint demo of Vyonne Baker's You Didn't Say A Word on Parkway, apparently, a lad he knows asked him if could he would take it out of his bag & look at it, as he got it in his hands, he somehow turned & walked straight into a lampost with it, smashed it in two, my mate Jeff said he could have wept.

Aid.

I remember hearing about this at the time, 75ish I think.

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

I guess the ultimate Vinyl Disaster was the guy who bought "Cheatin Kind" Don Gardner off JM for several thousand pounds only for it to be broken into bits before he got it

it is in this thread on page 2

ACE CUSTOMER SERVICE TOO, GOT MY MONEY BACK

Social source share

Dropped this on the floor a month or two ago and it broke into pieces. This record never comes up for sale:

post-5120-0-06291600-1347517604_thumb.jp

Surprisingly this came up for sale on the second label (modern) and I ended up replacing it / getting it on that label (it also never comes up for sale on modern). Wish I still had it on the original local label though.

I screwed up a record bad today, will take a photo.

Social source share

I guess the ultimate Vinyl Disaster was the guy who bought "Cheatin Kind" Don Gardner off JM for several thousand pounds only for it to be broken into bits before he got it

it is in this thread on page 2

ACE CUSTOMER SERVICE TOO, GOT MY MONEY BACK

whoa, i heard this same story with this same record happened to a US DJ, he said it got run over by a fedex truck. crazy if two copies of cheating kind got ruined by postal mishandling.

Social source share

Two sad tales:

Was in Brighton a few weeks ago and theres one of those seventies pvc lp boxes with the 2 staples each side so i thought..........so i pick it up and a load of 78s come dropping out....oh dear 7 cracked 78s..........but there was a load of music library 78s behind them all on vinyl Chappell etc ....i felt so bad i bought the lot at £2 a pop.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!