Album Track Vs The 45

JimK

Dunno if this has been a discussion before and if so please point me in the right direction.

We are talking about an OVO event here.

We had a conversation last Friday about whether the 45 should always take priority when opposing DJ's have a copy of a particular track. Say it was on original 45 but also on album, who should have priority to play it?

Also, same scenario but the chap with the 45 wasn't playing that night, could / should the album track be played?

Serious question.

Cheers, Jim

Social source share

Dunno if this has been a discussion before and if so please point me in the right direction.

We are talking about an OVO event here.

We had a conversation last Friday about whether the 45 should always take priority when opposing DJ's have a copy of a particular track. Say it was on original 45 but also on album, who should have priority to play it?

Also, same scenario but the chap with the 45 wasn't playing that night, could / should the album track be played?

Serious question.

Cheers, Jim

No wonder other dance scenes and forums mock Soul Source for being up its own a*se. The LP vs 7" debate is the evil twin of the OVO debate. LP tracks have the same validity as the 7" and no one should ever look down on someone playing one or the other. There are some LP's that are 10 times rarer and higher in price compared to the 7" releases, and they're not always higher because of LP only tracks. Saying that some LP's have a lower sound quality and maybe different track lengths or mixes, but still say a 7" shouldn't trump it just because it has a 7" release. For me there are quite a few tracks that I prefer on LP and 12" than 7". It should be about personal taste.

Got to agree,If its played from an original LP,why should it matter? I remember playing Jackie Wilsons Because Of You from the Beautiful Day album long before I realised there was a 45 release.To say i would be wrong to play LP tracks as apposed to 45 is a silly statement. Wrighty.

Social source share

Willie (Soulgrit) DJs at plenty of events, and plays nothing but ovo albums, not a 45 in sight, and he plays some blinding sets, and has never had a problem with any punters, promoters, fellow dj's or even chinstrokers as far as I'm aware.

:thumbup:

Social source share

You may as well add local 45 vs national 45 if you're going to be that presecriptive.

Ridiculous distinction IMHO.

I can just see the fight now......"oi you, get that Palmer release of Al Williams off, I'm playing the LaBeat copy later". "but it cost me £1500". "don't care it came second so not the original."

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The only reason not to play one over the other is sound quality/level to play at an event on a system. I have CD-R'd some of my LP cuts for that reason.......you can lift the level on them but unless you get really smokey with the old software you are of course amplifying the background noise too.

Other than that it's a ridiculous argument.

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

The only reason not to play one over the other is sound quality/level to play at an event on a system. I have CD-R'd some of my LP cuts for that reason.......you can lift the level on them but unless you get really smokey with the old software you are of course amplifying the background noise too.

Other than that it's a ridiculous argument.

Cheers,

Mark R

Don't mention cdr Mark, you'll be stoned to death.....

Social source share

How the f**k else do I play Freddy Butler or The Hestitations 'That What Love Is' exactly? lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell

Mark, slightly off topic. I know/have most of the albums in your picture but what is the "original sound of Detroit", b/w cover. looks interesting...

Benji

Social source share

Mark, slightly off topic. I know/have most of the albums in your picture but what is the "original sound of Detroit", b/w cover. looks interesting...

Benji

Hi Benji, it's a UK album with Lupine tracks featured Mack Rice, Joe Stubbs, Bettye Lavette, The Falcons etc. quit a hard LP to locate, had a spare a few years back and sold it for about fifty pounds I think.

Social source share

Hi Benji, it's a UK album with Lupine tracks featured Mack Rice, Joe Stubbs, Bettye Lavette, The Falcons etc. quit a hard LP to locate, had a spare a few years back and sold it for about fifty pounds I think.

On Windmill is it not? Or something like that. Have got a copy, but not in front of me.

Social source share

How the f**k else do I play Freddy Butler or The Hestitations 'That What Love Is' exactly? lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell

I think he means Tracks that have a 45 release,like playing Im Not Built That Way off the Album when the guy after you could have played his 45 lol Wrighty.

Social source share

UK Speciality and there is one on Ebay for twenty quid sure I sold one for more than that.

Like I said, it's not in front of me. Obviously I thought it was that good old budget label. Well, never mind, I am getting on a bit now and my memory's fading. :wicked::D:lol: :lol:

Social source share

My copy is on CD. The track list is:

1. He's So Fine -- The Corvells ; 2. Lonely Nights -- The Falcons ; 3. My Baby -- Mack Rice ; 4. You're On My Mind -- Bennie McCain ; 5. What's My Destiny -- Joe Stubbs ; 6. That's What I Aim To Do -- The Falcons ; 7. Tell It To My Face -- Bobby Williams ; 8. Witchcraft In The Air -- Betty Lavette ; 9. Baby I'm Coming Home -- Mack Rice ; 10. I Don't Want No Part Time Love -- Bennie McCain ; 11. You Killed My Love -- Betty Lavette ; 12. Has It Happened To You Yet -- The Falcons ; 13. I'm Depending On You -- Bobby Williams ; 14. Keep On Loving Me -- Joe Stubbs ; 15. Baby Sitting -- The Corvells ; 16. You Must Know I Love You -- The Falcons

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VARIOUS-EUROPEAN-FAT-BOY-1995/dp/B0055U8P48/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1347289278&sr=1-2

I'm assuming it's the same as the LP?

Dave

Social source share

My copy is on CD. The track list is:

1. He's So Fine -- The Corvells ; 2. Lonely Nights -- The Falcons ; 3. My Baby -- Mack Rice ; 4. You're On My Mind -- Bennie McCain ; 5. What's My Destiny -- Joe Stubbs ; 6. That's What I Aim To Do -- The Falcons ; 7. Tell It To My Face -- Bobby Williams ; 8. Witchcraft In The Air -- Betty Lavette ; 9. Baby I'm Coming Home -- Mack Rice ; 10. I Don't Want No Part Time Love -- Bennie McCain ; 11. You Killed My Love -- Betty Lavette ; 12. Has It Happened To You Yet -- The Falcons ; 13. I'm Depending On You -- Bobby Williams ; 14. Keep On Loving Me -- Joe Stubbs ; 15. Baby Sitting -- The Corvells ; 16. You Must Know I Love You -- The Falcons

https://www.amazon.co...47289278&sr=1-2

I'm assuming it's the same as the LP?

Dave

From memory thats pretty much bang on mate.

Mark.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

My opinion for what it's worth is that if the 45 or LP is a true original then it doesn't matter!

e.g. Metros, Hesitations, Exciters, Garnett Mims, Silhouettes etc etc etc

I'm sure others won't see it this way though :wicked:

i agree with what you say 'as long its the original LP or 45 it should not matter.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Can you imagine some sad b-----d saying for example, "He,s playing Garland Green "Aint that good enough" from the album and not the 45, so I ain't dancing" makes no odds, like Steve says, as long as its OVO get it on, see your point though, theres plenty out there who don't get it and are obsessed with the 45

Kev

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Willie (Soulgrit) DJs at plenty of events, and plays nothing but ovo albums, not a 45 in sight, and he plays some blinding sets, and has never had a problem with any punters, promoters, fellow dj's or even chinstrokers as far as I'm aware.

:thumbup:

Cheers MrC for the compliment , i've never had a problem as yet but there are some tunes on org albums that I haven't played due to not wanting any backlash from some anorak,

e.g: t.s.u. Toranados - a thousand wonders - ovide, pus a few more that that I can't remember at the moment.

If I know a certain dj who is on after me and has a 45 of a track I was gonna play from one of my albums i wouldn't spin it, e.g: see above....... it's called respect.

Willie

Edited by Soulgrit
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi

I had an experience like this recently when I played Harvey Averne ' Never Learned to Dance ' from the original NYC Fania Lp, bought from Soul Bowl in the 80's.

A young guy came bounding over and looked at the Lp as it was playing. Trying to help him out with IDing the track I offered the cover to him to see, he turned his nose up, said, ' I thought that you were playing the original ', obviously meaning the £1000 45.

A typical example of not seeing the wood for the trees,

I didnt even bother to go into the other superb tracks on the album although to be fair at the end of the night we had a chat and he came round to my way of thinking,.

Nick.

• Helpful 2
Social source share