Carla Thomas - I'll Never Stop Loving You

Guest Mrs Simsy

Guest Mrs Simsy

Afternoon. :D Hope this is the right section.

Just been reading up on this record and it says that it was never released until Kent found a master copy and legitimately pressed it? Seems extremely cheap for such a good record. Also, just come across one on ebay that says it's Ady C's master copy?

Is that right?

Thanks, Kylee.

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 10.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I think the story is that Ady had access to the Stax vault and would have been able to listen to the 2" multitack or the 1/2 " master tape. After selecting that tune worthy of being used by Kent, no doubt some 7" dubs were pressed for demonstration but whether "Ady's master " is the right term I dunno. It is a fantastic recording though and I aways dance to it when played out.

Edited by autumnstoned
Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

I think the story is that Ady had access to the Stax vault and would have been able to listen to the 2" multitack or the 1/2 " master tape. After selecting that tune worthy of being used by Kent, no doubt some 7" dubs were pressed for demonstration but whether "Ady's master " is the right term I dunno. It is a fantastic recording though and I aways dance to it when played out.

Thanks. :thumbsup: This is what I was looking at...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/carla-thomas-i-ll-never-stop-loving-you-/251144767702?pt=UK_Records&hash=item3a796508d6#ht_500wt_1203

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

Never seen that before. Is it legit because their website spells Ady's name incorrectly?

No idea. Thought it was odd that Ady would sell it.

Social source share

that horace copy came out a while after the 100 club giveaway..i think it had barbara lewis stars on the flip. i heard the 100 club kent 45 was made up from a few unfinished takes on a master tape but dont know if this is correct

Yeah, Barbara Lewis is on the flip of Horace copy.

I don't know if the 100 Club single was unfinished or not, never played it when I had it, lol.

Social source share

Yep Soul_Slider, that's the story, although there were two Kent releases TOWN117 and TOWN 135. The guy selling the Horaces copy was just referring to the label. I think the anniversary single is the same mix as the others. As someone said, Roger Armstrong pieced together several takes to get the full effect that we all know and love.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert