Usa Vinyl Mountain

NEV

Hi all ..

Havent been able to validate this as yet ?

I was in a email chat with a guy from Fresno California last night ..and during our conversation he told me this interesting little fact or bomb shell ,which ever way you wanna look at it :g:

Word for word :yes:

" I buy 90 percent of my records for pennies on the dollar , i

have records and i will not have a life time to go through them , My Kids

two to be precious will probably chuck them into the garbage when i leave

this planet , my kids showed me a article that 5 million records every 4

months are going into land fill, matter of fact some Recyclling places are

now taking Vinyl and paying pennies per LB in plastic scrape "

This guy is not just a crate digger who buys to sell ,he also loves the vinyl and is a collector himself and also said this

" I Have so many records that my wife lives in another

house , I pass up records each and every day simply because i have no place

to put them "

Maybe all of us mugs paying big $$$'s for our fix ,should have moved to USA long time ago :D

Social source share

• Replies 20
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I spoke to a guy the other day who works at my local recycling centre[council dump] and he's seen thousands of records being dumped this year,probably due to the bad weather and cancelled boot sales he reckons.Most records are sellable in nice condition,a case of one man's junk is another man's treasure.

Social source share

Yup the majority of records are unsellable at this point if you think about it. Meaning you can't give them away, Even within the rare soul scene, some stuff you can't give away. But I mean all those Val Doonican, Cliff Richard, Abba and the like LPs and 45's who would ever want them at this point?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yup the majority of records are unsellable at this point if you think about it. Meaning you can't give them away, Even within the rare soul scene, some stuff you can't give away. But I mean all those Val Doonican, Cliff Richard, Abba and the like LPs and 45's who would ever want them at this point?

Yep. I used to often get crushed by the sheer volume of Merle Haggard and Ferlin Husky records I had to go through to get to something decent.

In my experience a lot of the majors massively over-pressed a lot of C&W 45's. I saw that for myself via the Bostocks market stalls in the early 70's, House Of Sounds in Philadelphia in 1976 and numerous other places ever since. It got to the point where if I hit a place and the first couple of thousand 45's were all C&W, I'd make my excuses and get out. The potential hit rate would be negligible and probably not worth it.

Thinking about it now, I have no doubt that Nashville must have had some scams going. Why else would Columbia press up so many C&W stiffs which eventually ended up in the UK in the early 70's via a bulk warehouse clearance deal?

The Soul stuff is rare compared to C&W and Pop. Maybe the inflated prices are actually justified ay?

Ian D :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Wasn't there a massive fire in some warehouse in the states in the late 70's.

Yes , i think it was called "Waximaxi's" and rumour had it the warehouse contained all Shrines back stock

making the remaining copies very rare !

Social source share

I Do like Vals Rafettys Motor Car,i once did a mate a Northern Tape and included it on side two,He wasnt impressed as I remember.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!