Betty Boo Say It Isn't So

MrsWoodsrules

Manship is flogging an acetate this week I see.

What a truly great soul record, can't believe it never got a release in the U.S.

Few questions about this.

Would it have been one of these acetates that Dickie S was spinning at Wigan then as I presume his connections to RCA lead him to it?

Was it originally recorded for RCA & does anyone know the whereabouts the original masters?

Was just wondering.

Aid.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Manship is flogging an acetate this week I see.

What a truly great soul record, can't believe it never got a release in the U.S.

Few questions about this.

Would it have been one of these acetates that Dickie S was spinning at Wigan then as I presume his connections to RCA lead him to it?

Was it originally recorded for RCA & does anyone know the whereabouts the original masters?

Was just wondering.

Aid.

Can't answer your questions Aid - but I agree it's a mighty fine track

Edited by Peter99
Social source share

Agreed - brilliant record - always very "muddy" in the mix - don't think it was the finished article.

Similarly with the Eddie Holman tracks - work in progress - but great also !!!

It is slighty muddy,but the instru on the flip is crystal.All time fave of mine...now,where's the male vocal lurking? :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Fantastic record, I blooming well love it! I played it a while back at a local event and it completely cleared the floor....all except for one chap who danced his *rse off to it completely on his own in the middle of the huge dance floor....When the record ended he clapped so furiously, I honestly think it was a 'protest clap' at everyone who didn't dance or appreciate it.....

.....Or I could be talking b*llocks..... :D

...Had to be there really, I know what I mean.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

post-3067-0-00877300-1346793768_thumb.jp

Can't answer your questions Aid - but I agree it's a mighty fine track

Never eve,evr.ever tire of this awesome recording!!! it always leaves me speechless!! it is that buddy good -Detroit brilliance and then some [what year was it originally recorded]].....first remember hearing it via R.Searling [Pre RCA/ Grapevine release]- late 70s????

Betty Boo rules the waves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEFo25alcnE

ktf

tfk :rofl:

Edited by tfk
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

As Pete says, John at Soul Bowl, although not necessarily first contact, he got pretty much all the masters off Popcorn, about the same time as as he got the "i am Nothing instr" from a similar batch. I remember well the photos of John and Popcorn on the post holding up the wall of John's barn.... a six foot something Scottish guy with a huge afro with a smallish black guy, (tooke me ages before I put two and two together)... and he used to to take the piss out of me saying I looked like George Michael :rofl::D:ohmy::g:

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Wasn't "Say It Isn't So" just a production that Popcorn hadn't succeeded in placing with a label? It just fell through the cracks. He hadn't had plans to release it on a label of his own, nor was he able to get her a recording contract with a major, or even a decent-sized Soul label. It wasn't really ever slated for release during the '60s at any stage (was it?). As stated above, the RCA demo was only cut for the Grapevine release. I don't remember Wylie placing any record with RCA. As far as I know, from Detroit, only the Pied Piper crew did that.

Social source share

Great track back then and still a great track now. It wasn't originally titled 'Say it Isn't So'or even the longer 'Say It Isn't So Baby' though rather it was called 'Chitter Chatter'.

I'm not sure if it was John A or Richard that changed the title or indeed if it was changed before they got it. Whoever made that decision got it right for sure.

Mind you I think even a song called 'Chitter Chatter' would have made it given its quality.

As Ady says the Grapevine release is poorly mastered the 10 inch acetates that we all heard at Wigan we're better quality.

Edited by ged parker
Social source share

Great track back then and still a great track now. It wasn't originally titled 'Say it Isn't So'or even the longer 'Say It Isn't So Baby' though rather it was called 'Chitter Chatter'.

I'm not sure if it was John A or Richard that changed the title or indeed if it was changed before they got it. Whoever made that decision got it right for sure.

Mind you I think even a song called 'Chitter Chatter' would have made it given its quality.

As Ady says the Grapevine release is poorly mastered the 10 inch acetates that we all heard at Wigan we're better quality.

That sounds like an urban myth to me Ged.

One you just made up :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Wasn't "Say It Isn't So" just a production that Popcorn hadn't succeeded in placing with a label? It just fell through the cracks. He hadn't had plans to release it on a label of his own, nor was he able to get her a recording contract with a major, or even a decent-sized Soul label. It wasn't really ever slated for release during the '60s at any stage (was it?). As stated above, the RCA demo was only cut for the Grapevine release. I don't remember Wylie placing any record with RCA. As far as I know, from Detroit, only the Pied Piper crew did that.

I was going to ask which label was it originally intended for? How common was it to record a track with no particular label in mind?

Is most of the unreleased material unearthed over the years from actual labels? (if that makes sense?)

Social source share

It would never have been scheduled for release on RCA (USA)... it was purely Richard's connections with RCA (UK) at the time and the fact that he and John had done a deal to release Grapevine via that outlet. I'm sure had it been put out in the States it would have been at least on something like Pameline or at best on Golden World which would have given Betty the most exposure. Why it wasn't we may never know

Steve

Social source share

Sorry if this has been covered, but is there then an original studio / producer type acetate thingie ?

or was something pressed / carved / whatever from a tape ?

If it's the former, does anyone know who has it ?

cheers

pete

From memory John at Soul Bowl had a master tape rather than an acetate if that helps.

Steve

Social source share

I was going to ask which label was it originally intended for? How common was it to record a track with no particular label in mind?

Is most of the unreleased material unearthed over the years from actual labels? (if that makes sense?)

Quite common, Dave Hamilton did it throughout his career as he had his own studios and a crew of regular musicians/friends so they would cut on whoever they thought might be a sellable act with a view to placing the recordings when done. There is also the situation of a bigger record company cutting 3 0r 4 tracks at a session and just choosing the best two leaving the others to languish. Ady

Social source share

Like everyone else I love this track - always have done - However, as this particular acetate was done in 79 for the Grapevine release why on earth is it worth anymore or less than an emi disc doing the rounds from 77 when it was first played .....Sorry, I just don't get it, its not like you are buying an acetate pressed in Detroit at the time of the recording, but probably just me looking at the interest shown on it ? :huh:

Social source share

Sorry Pete my attempt at humor.Chitter Chatter,tingle tingle.Heard Tingle out many times Pete - its a woman.!!!

Off topic,wont happen again. :thumbsup:

No, it's a bloke :lol: I was convinced when I got it, thats why I covered it as Little Carl Carlton. It sounds nothing like Betty Boo. It's a boy, sounds about 11 or 12. I'm playing it now, it's a boy.

Social source share

Like everyone else I love this track - always have done - However, as this particular acetate was done in 79 for the Grapevine release why on earth is it worth anymore or less than an emi disc doing the rounds from 77 when it was first played .....Sorry, I just don't get it, its not like you are buying an acetate pressed in Detroit at the time of the recording, but probably just me looking at the interest shown on it ? :huh:

Because 70s emidiscs were actually illegal boots but this was properly licensed and cut proffesionally with all the paperwork required.

Social source share

No, it's a bloke :lol: I was convinced when I got it, thats why I covered it as Little Carl Carlton. It sounds nothing like Betty Boo. It's a boy, sounds about 11 or 12. I'm playing it now, it's a boy.

Pete,i'm not saying its BB. :dash2: .I thought this is supposed to be Inez Foxx or someone?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!