The Obscure Sub-Genres Of The Soul Spectrum

Guest Parka Avenue Pat

Guest Parka Avenue Pat

Hello fellow SS members!

I'm writing to this elite group of Soul connaisseurs (always good to start off with compliments) for a bit of help. I'm new to the forum but I've been writing a Mod blog (www.parkaavenue.com) for over 2 years now and my posts about 60s Soul seem to be amongst the more popular subjects. I'm working on a blog post that will be entitled "Beginners guide to Soul music". I'm looking to have some definitive descriptions to some of the more obscure sub-genres of the soul spectrum. I know I might get a fair bit of critisism and heavy heat for this one but at least I'm tempting something that doesn't seem to have been done (unless I'm mistaken) and it will be done in a fun and light hearted way. I don't personally like putting music in neat little boxes and categories, because all I care about as a DJ is to make people dance, but we all know that when we buy 45s over the internet, these tags are used all the time.

Here's where I need some help.

1) Could you give me your own definition to one or more of the styles enumerated.

2) Share what you think is the seminal song that best illustrates that style.

I thought the exchange could be enlightening and fun. Here are the styles that seem to more or less elude me: popcorn, tittyshaker, crossover, modern soul, new breed. Of course, you can share your ultimate Northern Soul, Blue-Eyed Soul, Motown, RnB, Funk, Doo Wop, Latin Soul, Boogaloo tune with me. If you think of other genres that should make the list, please add it to the pile!

Thanks in advance!

Social source share

Don't forget "Beach", "Southern Soul", "Deep Soul", "The Chicago Sound", "Swamp music", "Sound of Philadelphia", "Sound of Memphis", "Muscle Shoals", "Detroit Soul" (non-Motown), "North Carolina", "Low Rider Soul"(East L.A.), "New Orleans Sound", "New York Sound", L.A. Sound", " , etc.

Social source share

Go on then I'll have a stab at some..

Northern Soul = Much maligned term nowadays, but, basically an umbrella to include the best tunes from a multitude of sources.

Popcorn= Shyte, a term to describe barrell scraping to find Nothern Soul when it doesn't work.

Tittyshaker-- Over 50 geezer in a vest trying to dance like he did 30+ years ago

New Breed- " Mod" music, usually championed by "mods" who were punks until they saw Quadrophenia.

Crossover= ????? Who Knows.

Hope that helps

Tony

That was more of a pin-prick than a stab. :lol:

Social source share

1) Could you give me your own definition to one or more of the styles enumerated.

2) Share what you think is the seminal song that best illustrates that style.

I thought the exchange could be enlightening and fun. Here are the styles that seem to more or less elude me: popcorn, tittyshaker, crossover, modern soul, new breed. Of course, you can share your ultimate Northern Soul, Blue-Eyed Soul, Motown, RnB, Funk, Doo Wop, Latin Soul, Boogaloo tune with me. If you think of other genres that should make the list, please add it to the pile!

Thanks in advance!

Don't concern yourself too much with the usual 'helpful' comments you'll get as a new member asking a genuine question and trying to develop your knowledge :shhh:

Anyway,IMHO, If you're writing a Mod focused blog steer clear of the multitude of terms that have crept in over the years to the Soul scene - it will be a very painful and tedious experience i.e. what is Northern Soul, Crossover, Modern Soul etc

However, terms such as popcorn, tittyshaker/boogaloo, latin soul, new breed (perhaps) and blue-eyed soul can all be defined with some relevance and examples given to at least give an introduction and starting point for newcomers..

As it's probably not a thread that will receive huge serious response I'll pm you some info and references you may find useful..

Good luck with the Blog..

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I believe there's a shady genre called trotalong,or trotover.A devils mix of popcorn and very early rnb.I have no examples myself,as i've never had the honor,but if i have heard it i'm sure i would remember.

I think this may have been an AJ "Byrney" Byrne statement, to describe the horrendous quality of pop masquerading as R&B in early to mid 90's.

Still makes me chuckle, Messrs, Anderson, Kitchener and Taylor may have been party to this invention also.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Parka Avenue Pat

Thank you all for your comments. I participate regularly on a Mod forum so I'm used to the banter and even welcome it. It's good training for the comments I get when I publish a blog post. :wink:

Social source share

My dear fellow could you include "Beat Ballads" par example Tony Middleton "Paris Blues" or Wade Flemons "That Other Place" etc...just wondering lol good post by the way! Such a wonderful term isn't it - Northern Soul.

ATB

Mick

Social source share

''Soul'' is the umbrella. All the little spokes are genres that hold it in place. Enjoy the rain, weather the storms and hope it's gonna turn out fine again.

As I understand it, that particular umbrella was prototyped by the firms "Gospel" & "Blues". I hear that both firms eventually merged and crossed-over to the other side. God rest their conflicted Soul...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

You could go on forever mate. Seriously, it's almost endless. The good ones kinda merge the boundaries 'cos if it's just great, then really who gives a shit about how it should be classified.....also people's perceptions change all the time, so there's never an absolute really.

For instance how do you classify these.....

The Fabulous Downbeats "Life Goes On"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E574hvX-zYM

Joe Mathews "Ain't Nothing You Can Do"

Matta Baby "Do The Pearl Girl Pt 1"

Mod? Tittyshakers? Boogaloo? 60's R'n'B? Northern?

Does it even matter?

Ian D :D

Social source share

Mod? Tittyshakers? Boogaloo? 60's R'n'B? Northern?

Does it even matter?

Yes! Of course it does you f*ckwit.

People have their own particular 'comfort zones', so classifications are all important for today's market. For someone who supposedly does commercially successful compilations, I thought you would have realised that.......? :g:

Social source share

People have their own particular 'comfort zones', so classifications are all important for today's market. For someone who supposedly does commercially successful compilations, I thought you would have realised that.......? :g:

:lol: Brilliant! I'm always talking to myself — In my head! That's the first time; I've seen someone write to his self!...

....It almost prompts me to do a "Ëœlook back' on the last soul night in my kitchen (just me) it was one heck of a do....'numbers were low, but those "Ëœof me' who were there really enjoyed it'.... :D

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

P.s - Night x

Edited by LEN
Social source share

I did, you schitzoid freak. Check the releases........ :lol:

Classification is a bitch. One man's 'crossover" is another man's "mid-tempo northern". Anyone with a thirst to learn about Soul music probably won't mind experimenting a 'lil bit.

Plus things change over the years. A 'ballad' from 1965 can then become a 'beat ballad', then a 'northern mid-tempo-classic' and then a 'mod anthem' over a gestation of 30 years or so. 'Modern' can suddenly become 'northern' if a 70's or 80's record hits big with the northern crowd. So records like Skip Mahoney and the Futures can slip into 'northern' more than 'modern' if they find the right audience.

Nobody ever said this was easy........... :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Parka Avenue Pat

I totally get what you're saying Ian and as I mention it in my intro, all I care as a DJ is to make people dance. The reason why I'm giving myself this headache (in a fun way) is mainly to answer people that ask me about what and how to buy soul on the net. Like it or not, the categories are there and when you don't have a sound clip or a youtube video, it can at least stir you in the right direction.

Here's another exemple, last June I attended a Chicano soul night in Chicago. I had no idea what it was. Had I known they where going to play ballads all night, I not certain I would have went. It was certainly an education.

Social source share

Guest riversider

Northern Soul = Much maligned term nowadays, but, basically an umbrella to include the best tunes from a multitude of sources.

Popcorn= Shyte, a term to describe barrell scraping to find Nothern Soul when it doesn't work.

Tittyshaker-- Over 50 geezer in a vest trying to dance like he did 30+ years ago

New Breed- " Mod" music, usually championed by "mods" who were punks until they saw Quadrophenia.

Hope that helps

Tony

Please dont have a stab (appropriate word) at any more.
Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

I totally get what you're saying Ian and as I mention it in my intro, all I care as a DJ is to make people dance. The reason why I'm giving myself this headache (in a fun way) is mainly to answer people that ask me about what and how to buy soul on the net.

In that case the answer is straightforward.

"Good soul music"

"Not so good soul music"

"You know, the kind of crap they play on scooter rallies"

Easy.

Social source share

Hope that helps

Tony

popcorn = shyte?

some popcorn anthems are as good as any northern ("nine times out of ten"??)

Dorothy Berry - you better watch out

Mitty Collier - Pain

Social source share

Here is a couple from manchester:

In the 80's:

GIDDY UP SOUL: big city newies like h.b. barnum

In the 90's

BOUNCY CASTLE SOUL: rhythmically uninteresting plodding midtempo modern like dryzabone.

Nowdays:

DAVE MUSIC: the not yet fully formed nu funky northern/crossover.

The possibilties are endless my love chickens

dean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!