Soul Source Record Of The Day, (Some Say It's The Fall?) Autum 2012

dthedrug

In recovery mode after my first visit to Ad-Libs club in Lincoln & well worth the trip it was.It's a great little cellar bar venue with a great range of music from northern,r n b & a bit of ska/rocksteady thrown in for good measure.Not all to my taste but it all added to an electric atmosphere with a great range of ages all joining in the fun & just loving all aspects of the music,reminded me a lot of Empty Bottles in Leeds.I was surprised how many people I knew there,plenty of the old Wilton lot I've not seen in ages,so plenty of banter flying about which help make a night.Certainly one to put on the "must visit" list if you like the earlier side of the scene.

Today's offering is a tune that always reminds me of those early dingy mod clubs where our brilliant scene came from.

The Revels - Downtown Kapp

Edited by hullsoul
Social source share

Just seen a copy of this in the sales section, thought it sounded familiar so checked on some old records that were put away... and there it was! So my selection from the box today is a nice little dancer, nothing too raucous for this early in the morning!

Majestic - Send My Baby Back To Me on Equador

Social source share

Today's outing is an underrated tune from an underrated artist on an underrated label,the only thing not underrated about it is the price........one on evil-bay now for $9.99.

Bobby Bloom - Love Don't Let Me Down Karma Sutra

Totally agree with all of the 'under rated' comments!

:thumbup:

Social source share

Great mid'60s-style group sound. It sounds like about 1965. Too early to have a "collective/singular group name". Could it be possible that that group was called The Majextics, and it was a label misprint, with the "s" left off? Does anyone know where Equador Records was located, and where the artist/group came from, and his/their names?

Social source share

Great mid'60s-style group sound. It sounds like about 1965. Too early to have a "collective/singular group name". Could it be possible that that group was called The Majextics, and it was a label misprint, with the "s" left off? Does anyone know where Equador Records was located, and where the artist/group came from, and his/their names?

It's Equator Records. Here's another 45 on the same label showing the address in Birmingham, Alabama -

https://www.popsike.com/45-BIRMINGHAM-FUNK-Dwight-Houston-The-Ghettos-EQUATOR-LISTEN/310392031351.html

Social source share

It's Equator Records. Here's another 45 on the same label showing the address in Birmingham, Alabama -

https://www.popsike.c...0392031351.html

Well, I've learned something new as well today! Was going to say I didn't know anything at all about the label or artist, (except how to misspell it obviously!), but Tiberius to the rescue!

:thumbsup:

Anyhooo my post for the day, I have posted it before, but am keeping up with the Bobby Bloom theme that's been going on, and old cover up from Stafford, yet another great tune from Mr Bloom that's cheap as chips too.

Booby Bloom - We're All Going Home - MGM

Social source share

Another double-sider from me today from Bobby Hutton.I was fortunate enough to get my copy signed by him when he performed at Cleethorpes Weekender a few years back.This shouldn't set you back more then a few quid.

Bobby Hutton-I Got A Memory/I Can Stand To See A Woman Two Timing A Man Philips

Social source share

I stopped collecting vinyl about two years ago. This was one of my last purchases.

Johnny Taylor - What About My Love

Peter

Peter

The opening & break half way through is the same as something else I've got but can't think what.........anyone help???

Like this,is it LP or on 45 please.

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Couldn't resist this one so apologies if it's been posted before. Roy Hytower - Love That Girl Of Mine

Tiberius

No apologies needed as we are all old & senile on here & keep forgetting what has been posted & if Roy H has is certainly good enough for another outing :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Peter

The opening & break half way through is the same as something else I've got but can't think what.........anyone help???

Like this,is it LP or on 45 please.

Cheers

Martyn

Hi Martyn

I have it on a Beverley Glenn 45 - £20. Think it's album too and there's a remix - bit quicker.

I think it was sampled on something that Shapeshifters did. It also features on a tv advert but I can never remember which one!

Peter

Social source share

Hi Martyn

I have it on a Beverley Glenn 45 - £20. Think it's album too and there's a remix - bit quicker.

I think it was sampled on something that Shapeshifters did. It also features on a tv advert but I can never remember which one!

Peter

Peter

That's the baby.........Shapeshifters.........& I haven't got it...........senile me never :shhh:

Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Plain and simply because it was on the iPod on the way to work, always makes me smile and tap my feet, reminds me of youth club discos etc...

Denise LaSalle - Do Me Right on Westbound

Social source share

Love this:

Roy Smith : Don't Go Away:Ascot

also good is the 70's re-recording on Cutlass:

It's a great tune. The later (2nd) record posted above is my own 45, never got around to posting the Ascot 45. Just for information this was also released on Chantain, a label which I believe Roy had some involvement in? Roy was a massive talent imo, a great song writer & wonderful vocalist. Sadly, when he passed in 1998, he was buried in a grave with no marker. Happily this was rectified a few years ago.

There's a nice slow ballad by Roy posted on youtube called "Running Out Of Time", I won't post the link as perhaps it's not in keeping with this thread.

Also some live footage on youtube too.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

It's a great tune. The later (2nd) record posted above is my own 45, never got around to posting the Ascot 45. Just for information this was also released on Chantain, a label which I believe Roy had some involvement in? Roy was a massive talent imo, a great song writer & wonderful vocalist. Sadly, when he passed in 1998, he was buried in a grave with no marker. Happily this was rectified a few years ago.

There's a nice slow ballad by Roy posted on youtube called "Running Out Of Time", I won't post the link as perhaps it's not in keeping with this thread.

Also some live footage on youtube too.

This is great informative comment thanks for sharing it.

Unlike some responses on Soulsource which are less than polite and of the nature "didn't you know that,dohh!"

I hold my hands up, I'm not an expert!

Thanks again, its a credit Soulsource.

Best

Mick

• Helpful 2
Social source share

My tune today has been a long time fave in our house & I'm pleased to see it appearing on a few playlists recently.Presses all the right buttons for me.

Little Frankie Lee - I Gotta Come Back Peacock

A fine tune indeed, and another of those tunes i've always meant to get, but ended up spending the money on something else while looking, usually the day before i spot one!

Social source share