New! - Ian Levine's Solid Soul Sensations Podcast Episode 6

Pete S

Ian asked me if I would post this up for him, I know these usually cause a lot of debate but this time I haven't heard it myself as I only just received the email so I am just the messenger ok!

https://soundcloud.com/ian-levine/solid-soul-sensations-6

After a three month gap, this is now my sixth three hour podcast, done for August 2012. My own special personal private radio show, aimed at people with discerning and impeccable taste in quality soul music, and a platform for me to bring you what I consider to be the cream of the crop of my own personal music tastes. This is quality music to listen to, on a hot late Summers day, and share your emotions with optimistic joyous feelgood music, something to lift up your spirits high, and remind you that everything always turns out alright in the end. And there is always a sunny day after a dark storm. This is music with passion and feel and soul This is REAL music. It's quality before value. And yet there are some very valuable records here too. I have always been controversial, but this time I particularly hope to impress and deliver. Right now is an amazing time for Northern Soul - the footage from Elaine Constantine's film looks simply amazing, and the BBC just aired a detective program full of Northern Soul records, and so the timing couldn't be better for new people with open minds. Anyway each and every one of these records is played off original 45 vinyl. This is music to make the hairs on the back of your neck tingle, to lift your depression, to remind you that life is worth living to the fullest. This is the best music the world has ever created. THIS IS THE MUSIC I LOVE. And nothing will ever change that.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Enjoyed the SABU, but prefer the other SABU 45' Mark Baildon had on Rhodesian Atlantic (now with Dave Ripolles) ' What's The Fuss'..Think i discussed that one with Ian when he was on the forum. Anyway sat listening..

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Mac Davis, Shaun Robbins seemed to make this massive via his Solar radio show on Sundays, bit of an anthem up at the Morecambe weekenders, yes a feel good tune, did this ever get played in the old days ? Not really my bag to be honest , even though i have it. I'd like to see Ian play a full on Modern (70's/80's spot) just to see what he enjoys, i went to the recent Ritz all dayer but the main room wasn't really my thing. Ps.. It's a shame (whatever went off ) that Ian Levine can't be a member of this board, always interesting to have dialogue with people who post up podcast's, radio shows etc. Alex Brown is indeed a classic crossover 45', after SABU my favourite track of the podcast.

Glady remember getting the Sven Zetterberg as a new release on Buzz, have they all dried up nowadays ?. Was a popular tune on release, like all the decent new release soul it always seems to be covered fully on this forum.

The Vals (Ascot ) is awesome, nearly swallowed my own tongue when i heard Paul Havakin play this at the great Manchester, Greatstone Soul Club a few years back (and sadly no more), another i had too get..Outstanding 45'. Interesting when i originally searched for the Vals i came across another on the prolific label by 'The International Submarine Band' called ' The Russians are Comin'....!!!

Cheers always respect folks who put time and effort in to broadcast this music.

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

I have a copy of the Vals on Ascot to sell if someone needs it.

I only listened to about a third of the podcast so far, not going to post an opinion until I listen to the whole thing. I just am posting to say that the Nobles on Columbia are a later version of the Joneses on Mercury, it's the 3 Noble brothers plus one other member. The lead singer that Ian comments on is Reggie Noble (which is funny if you know anything about rap music ... it's not redman). It's a different lead than the Joneses because Glen Dorsey sang lead on the Joneses records.

Social source share

Think I's rather hear some Gram Parson 's played out than that other 'country' star Mac Davis :tumbleweed3: When I was in California back in 2010 I called in the Joshua Tree Motel where sadly Gram departed this mortal coil !

Mike

We also stayed at the Joshua Tree Inn but didn't fancy using Gram's room. A lovely youngish couple were running it then ( 2007 ) but it was up for sale for about $1M I think. Would love to live near that desert and look forward to returning someday. Something magical about Joshua Tree.

ATB

Mike

Edited by autumnstoned
Social source share

We also stayed at the Joshua Tree Inn but didn't fancy using Gram's room. A lovely youngish couple were running it then ( 2007 ) but it was up for sale for about $1M I think. Would love to live near that desert and look forward to returning someday. Something magical about Joshua Tree.

ATB

Mike

Does not Eric Burdon live in Joshua Tree ? for years I believe. And also Mark Olsen out of the Jayhawks - so it must have something!

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Is that not Gram Parson's original band before the Flying Burrito Brothers?

A big up for Gram's girlfriend/soul mate Emmylou Harris. One of the most special voices of the whole pop music era.

Sorry - couldn't resist it. :D

MB

Edited by MBarrett
Social source share

I listened to some of these in the car on the way to York last night and i am afraid i must rank low on the taste ladder because i didn't find the tracks I heard in the car at all soulfully inspiring i counted around 3 tracks that were to my taste on pods 3 and 4.

There is no doubt Ian has a great passion in what he plays ,and he delivers the sounds to his audience exceptionally well , but I am afraid this time around the standard of the tunes selected in the main that i heard on pods 3 and 4 were not for me at all.

But the upside was that it made what i eventually heard played at the York soul club sound like heaven to my ears , sounds more to my taste that were elevated even more so after having two hours of what was to me not up to the very high bench mark that is progressive soul as i personally know and perceive of it today.

Edited by Carms
Social source share

There are a few high points, but generally speaking, too much pop n country for me, plus there are things Ian says, for example regarding Billy Hambric, 'forgotten Mecca stomper', its continued to have been played since then off n on & had a big reativation a few years back, deffo not forgotten & never was, also classing the Moonglows as Crossover, nice ballad, Crossover, no.

Sounds like nit picking, but Ians knowledge of the current scene is sadly lacking & whilst I do enjoy his radio technique, these occasional gaffs & the pop tunes spoil it a little for me over all.

Having said that I admire Ian for doing these Podcasts & wearing his heart on his sleeve, I would much rather have them to listen to, than not.....now back to Mrfishes real deal latest Podcast, that really is the cutting edge of Rare Soul.....

Best Russ

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I will add full credit for the effort it creating podcast and really putting his head on the block for what he believes in , it is easy to judge not so easy to put the effort in and produce something to debate and lay yourself wide open to an alternative view .

At the end of the day its our own personal opinion on whether he hits the spot for us individually.

As always I would l aways advocate make your own mind up.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

There are a few high points, but generally speaking, too much pop n country for me, plus there are things Ian says, for example regarding Billy Hambric, 'forgotten Mecca stomper', its continued to have been played since then off n on & had a big reativation a few years back, deffo not forgotten & never was, also classing the Moonglows as Crossover, nice ballad, Crossover, no.

Sounds like nit picking, but Ians knowledge of the current scene is sadly lacking & whilst I do enjoy his radio technique, these occasional gaffs & the pop tunes spoil it a little for me over all.

Having said that I admire Ian for doing these Podcasts & wearing his heart on his sleeve, I would much rather have them to listen to, than not.....now back to Mrfishes real deal latest Podcast, that really is the cutting edge of Rare Soul.....

Best Russ

Billy Hambric on Drum? I always get asked for one side or t'other and usually oblige with both. I've been playing it for years. Always thought it was Wigan? One side RC other side Pat B?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

You know, I'll say one thing - I really can't knock his enthusiam. It's kinda infectious to me. I think it's brilliant that he's knocking out these podcasts which ALWAYS have some interesting stuff on them whether they're known or not. Plus I like the fact that he's banned from here, hardly does any gigs yet STILL has a massive amount of enthusiasm for hearing hearing fresh stuff.

I'm actually playing catch up 'cos I never had chance to listen to a couple of the earlier ones. Good on him for taking the time to still do this against all the odds!

Ian D :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!