Dee Dee Warwick Worth Every Tear I Cry

Steve G

Guest bury masonic

Bloody great record. I heard Butch play an American acetate of it (since it was UK only on a 45) - that should guarantee a quick sale now....

Also on Mercury LP That i have (want to make an offer??)

Edited by bury masonic
Social source share

Hang on a minute, it's not a reactivation at all, people who know it have had it since it was first discovered and have been playing it ever since, just because some higher profile DJ comes along and starts playing it, it doesn't wipe out everything that's happened with it in the previous 25 years or undermine the people who have had it and played it.

I agree.

I used to play this at Bradford Bensons Bier keller soul nights back as early as 1984 and have played it from time to time ever since. Just because a record is now in vogue doesn't mean it isn't / wasn't known or played before.

Social source share

I think it sounded the same. If it is different it's in the margins.

Steve

I agree,the couple of times I've heard him play it sounds the same to me?

Been played by various dj's over the years,Chris Holmes (York) was the first one I heard play it in the early/mid 90t's.

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

I agree.

I used to play this at Bradford Bensons Bier keller soul nights back as early as 1984 and have played it from time to time ever since. Just because a record is now in vogue doesn't mean it isn't / wasn't known or played before.

Don't think anyone has said it wasn't known or played before have they?

Social source share

I get sick to death of the constant negativity on here, every time you make a comment or express an opinion theres always some smart ass there to shoot you down in sh*t....

Ok, Im a tw*t who doesnt know what he's on about & bow to your lots superior wisdom & judgement...f&ckin happy now.....its getting really tedious TBH....no wonder some folk dont bother any more....

Best Russ

Social source share

Maybe if it's from the LP, I think the LP is a slower cut, but with the UK 45 having been recorded in the US, it seems weird that they'd use a different version just for the UK market.

Perhaps they pitched the speed up from the US Master Tape for the UK release?

Social source share

Well,well,well there's some luminaries on here bumping away. What happened to start a thread in LAYB if you wanna discuss something connected to a sale?

Mark is of course blameless.

And the UK version was played at Pendulem many times along with "Dont ever give up on me". All the UK collectors I knew back in '73 had it or knew it.

Russ, dont take it so seriously FFS. Your refreshing underplayed reactivation is not necessarily the same for somebody else

Just looked in a box. How about "Wait till I get to know you" Admirations. Not heard in an age. Great 45. There are hundreds of them.

ROD

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I had this record(uk), mid seventies, and somehow it went missing, then mid eighties, uncle Wid( Pete Widdison), comes to the rescue, a mint copy, £5. Result, I could never thank him enough. The record, is currently played at our local Burscough British Legion, by myself and Mick Howard, Soulfully yours, Otis.

Social source share

I get sick to death of the constant negativity on here, every time you make a comment or express an opinion theres always some smart ass there to shoot you down in sh*t....

Ok, Im a tw*t who doesnt know what he's on about & bow to your lots superior wisdom & judgement...f&ckin happy now.....its getting really tedious TBH....no wonder some folk dont bother any more....

Best Russ

Look, I'd had a lovely supper, and all I said to my wife was: "That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah."

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I can vouch for the fact that Rod knew about it in the late '70s, as did Dave Withers and all the Brits I knew. I had it on the US album. The "fast version" you know might be off a doctored (fast-pitched) recording studio demo or acetate, to come up with a 'unique" copy. I don't remember hearing that there were 2 different versions.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes the guy he got it from had 2 copies, i had the other one a few months before, not in the best condition, but as i like the record it wa worth getting..

so is it a different version or are people clutching at rarity straws coz her version of where is that rainbow on mercury differs on 45 from the lp...thats 3 years down the line tho

Social source share

Was lucky enough to pick a copy of this off Pete S a year ago for £40.00 on british mercury.

This is why I was "surprised" to see it listed at £175.

Friend of mine always tells me how he laughs when he thinks of a review I wrote of this record in my fanzine back in 1990

"So and so says that this should be a three figure record - yes it should - £9.99"

• Helpful 1
Social source share

isn't that a great track, there are 3 records in our house that the kids and my wife go crazy for, Emperor, Raining, and Rainbow...

Dee Dee made an appearance as back-up to here sister in Sydney in 2005, and I did not bother to to get a ticket, even though I lived within walking distance to the opera house, alas she died on my birthday, 20th October, and I never got to see her...

lets face it there is not much she sang that was not good..

M

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Brett F

Without bothering to find my 45' or digging the LP out, can we confirm they are different takes (no matter how marginal) plus i'm not on about the U.S. acetate, plus is the 45' going for £175 !!!, That can't be right can it ?? Ps sure i first heard this in Rotherham early 1980's..Searling ??

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

Best Russ

Don't go Russ :( no matter what they say about you :D I like you. :P

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Brett F

if this is worth 75...and it most probably is.. the likes of frank beverly on sassy should only be worth the same.. at the end of the day people will pay what they want and who are we to argue.. its up to them

Dave excellent point, i've always said what a person (individually) pays for a record, then that is what that copy is worth to that person, John Manship's guides etc are just that, a guide, both me and you have bought and continue to buy enough records to determine our 'own' price guide.

Brett

Social source share

Apart from its in black and white and could be used as a benchmark.Not sure if it did make that amount btw,could be wrong.

But it can't be used as a benchmark because it's an auction. Simple as that. Two people want something, the price will go higher and higher.

If I can sell one for £40 last year, how can £270 be anywhere near a real price, and I do actually know a bit about UK label soul.

If you were to ask me how much a minter should be, I'd say 100 to 125

Social source share

But it can't be used as a benchmark because it's an auction. Simple as that. Two people want something, the price will go higher and higher.

If I can sell one for £40 last year, how can £270 be anywhere near a real price, and I do actually know a bit about UK label soul.

Nah, more like £70 to £80. :wink::thumbsup:

Social source share

Never said it was a real price Pete.You're right, it was at auction where it was purchased at that price.Not disputing at all your knowledge of UK labels.But as we know,prices ebb and flow with play demand.No doubt this will peak,if it hasn't already,then drop to normal pricing.

£40 was a very good price.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!