Northern Soul Top 500 Rareities

j d. bryant on shrine

prophets, gold piece on shrine

little john just wait & see

the classics one dance

george lemons on gold soul

any of the magnetics (sable,Bonnie ra-sal)

leon peterson on skylark

vickie labat on shagg

gayletts on blackjack

eddie whitehead also on blackjack

well theres 10ish , :g: only 490 to go lol :thumbsup:

Edited by tosspot
Social source share

wouldnt include these too from my point of view. rare and great but not the rarest of the rare..

fair comment mark, just off the top of my head, basically because i like them and most, if not all cost a significant amount of money. i did state however, that it shouldnt need to be about their value or even our preferences...just think we can get to the crux of what are generally considered the rarest 500...bound of course, to include stuff already in the popular 500 ( kev's original book ) and marmite tunes....like i said, im not a foremost expert in this department, but like you said, an adjudicator would be wholy preferable or say, a panel of 3 or 4 respected people on the scene, be it collectors, djs, record dealers etc.

Social source share

off the top of my head

jimmy & sundiales

hank hodge eye

wanda mc daniels

tamala lewis

eddie parker

linda terry

del larks

deltours

utopias/lasalle

freddie butler/wheelsville

larry clinton

hopkins bros.

arthur willis

classics

jimmy andrews

profs

little johnny hamilton

milton james

springers

cavaliers / shrine

counts / shrine

roy roberts ISMIL

willie tee (bonatemp)

sag war fare

john harris / soul sayers

Social source share

There's a Changing Times thing isn't there thats dog rare. Never heard it myself.

Changing Scene I suspect you mean, great double sider although the tempo terrorists are probably on a mission to destroy all copies, adding to its rarity. Good shout now though as I suspect a very forgotten record, sadly.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Changing Scene I suspect you mean, great double sider although the tempo terrorists are probably on a mission to destroy all copies, adding to its rarity. Good shout now though as I suspect a very forgotten record, sadly.

Both sides cover up as Steve Mancha by Keb. Andy Dyson played "when The City Sleeps for awhile but not heard it since really....well not out and about. I have here and have used in Stafford podcasts :)

Social source share

Cheryl Ann - I cant let him

Not as expensive as it was at one point, but a bloody hard record to get, and something I've not seen for sale anywhere near as many times as some of the 1k + records that are supposed to be rocking horse shit type 'rare'

AND better than most of them too!

:thumbup:

Social source share

Cheryl Ann - I cant let him

Not as expensive as it was at one point, but a bloody hard record to get, and something I've not seen for sale anywhere near as many times as some of the 1k + records that are supposed to be rocking horse shit type 'rare'

AND better than most of them too!

:thumbup:

I have a feeling that early copies or promos may have had a picture sleeve as well!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I have a feeling that early copies or promos may have had a picture sleeve as well!

Never seen a picture sleeve - mine certainly didn't have one :) (did it?)

Edited by MrC
Social source share

Guest Dave 38

I don't know if it's rarity or personal taste, I don't know what is rare, and taste is personal and subjective,.... but I know what I like......Can I throw into the mix for consideration..

1. Moses Smith - "The Girl Across The Street"

2. Sugar Pie De'Santo - "I Don't Wanna Fuss"

Both of which I Iike !....but then again you'll probably think What do I know!

Social source share

Good call on The Changing Scene which I have heard, Jock.

So consulting Manship's guide gives us Changing Times - "A new day begins" on Boy Wonder weighing in at an impressive £2,500.

I'm sure this is the one I was thinking off but definitely not heard it - has anybody else?

Social source share

John Manship's already done a book on this subject where he illustrated every Northern rarity over £500 or something like that, came out 5 years ago, it's the only chance I'm ever going to get of seeing most of these records.

apologies pete, and everyone else for that matter, in sincereity that fact had slipped my mind....supose the only thing is,...john will probably update when he needs to as records that even he hasnt come across, broaden the concensus......and he IS still bringing them to light, even if theyre auctioned on behalf of someone else.....well, whatever....its given people something to wrack their brains about for a couple of days to get over a wet miserable mind-numbingly boring august bank holiday.....mike, or chalky, if you want to knock this one on the head, no problem :thumbsup:

Social source share

apologies pete, and everyone else for that matter, in sincereity that fact had slipped my mind....supose the only thing is,...john will probably update when he needs to as records that even he hasnt come across, broaden the concensus......and he IS still bringing them to light, even if theyre auctioned on behalf of someone else.....well, whatever....its given people something to wrack their brains about for a couple of days to get over a wet miserable mind-numbingly boring august bank holiday.....mike, or chalky, if you want to knock this one on the head, no problem :thumbsup:

The topic is fine, just a bit of fun. John may have done a book but it is by no means definitive as you say.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest southpaw

I'd throw these into the mix,

Lucky Charms - Tied to your heart

Major Harris - Call me tomorrow

Frank Beverly - If that's what you wanted

Edited by southpaw
Social source share

is it not surprising, that apart from r&r/doowop, no other musical archive can be discussed with an unquenched thirst?.....black music,soul,rnb,funk or its unique derivitive which, we in the u.k. championed above all else,...northern soul....the fact is, 500 will never be enough, wether excrutiatingly rare or anthemically populist...this music tells it like it is and many of us past, present and in the future, have and will mirror our lives like it.

....so just keep chucking these mind blowing jewels into the ring if you like the thread, personally its of much value to me seeing artists and titles pop up that ive never seen or heard before..even after 40+ years :thumbup:

Social source share

How this has descended into the usual!!! :(

Anyway, who is collating and ranking this lot of suggestions :D (not me) here are my off the top of my head thoughts ...

EDDIE PARKER - I'M GONE

RITA & TIARAS - GONE WITH THE WIND (IS MY LOVE) (DORE)

BUDDY SMITH - WHEN YOU LOSE THE ONE YOU LOVE (BRUTE)

WILLIE TEE - WALKING UP A ONE WAY STREET (THE WRONG WAY) (NOLA/ATLANTIC)

J.J. BARNES - PLEASE LET ME IN (RIC-TIC)

WILLIE KENDRICK - CHANGE YOUR WAYS (RCA VICTOR)

SALVADORS - STICK BY ME BABY (WISE WORLD)

C.O.D.s - SHE'S FIRE (KELLMAC)

FRANK BEVERLEY & BUTLERS - IF THAT'S WHAT YOU WANTED (SASSY/GAMBLE/TOP TUNES)

Cheers

Richard

Just an addendum Richard :yes:
Social source share

Awesome!!..... :thumbsup: ....reminds me of Did My Baby Call - Steve Mancha
Social source share

I'm sure we could all list of rare records, but to make a top 500, they have to be killer soulful & not just the rarest.

These are killer IMO. A few deffos for me, like I say maybe not the rarest but does it matter when this soulful.

Volumes Aint Gonna Give You Up on Karen.

Blendels Did You Mean Dontee.

Frank Del He Broke You Game Wide Open Valise.

Betty Boo Say It Isn't So .......don't think it got a u.s. release other than grapevine (could be wrong?) but what desirable soul record if it ever did & one of the best sounds I ever heard at Wigan.

Oh, another just thought of, not that rare but Pat Powdrill Do It got to make any list.

Aid.

Social source share

j d. bryant on shrine

prophets, gold piece on shrine

little john just wait & see

the classics one dance

george lemons on gold soul

any of the magnetics (sable,Bonnie ra-sal)

leon peterson on skylark

vickie labat on shagg

gayletts on blackjack

eddie whitehead also on blackjack

well theres 10ish , :g: only 490 to go lol :thumbsup:

who say's you're tosspot 'your choice of records is awesome some very rare stuff. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Social source share

Quite a lot of the 45's in the Manship book are nothing to do with Northern, they're just rare. And after listening to some of them, I'm not suprised. :lol:

aree with what you say Phil

Social source share

off the top of my head

jimmy & sundiales

hank hodge eye

wanda mc daniels

tamala lewis

eddie parker

linda terry

del larks

deltours

utopias/lasalle

freddie butler/wheelsville

larry clinton

hopkins bros.

arthur willis

classics

jimmy andrews

profs

little johnny hamilton

milton james

springers

cavaliers / shrine

counts / shrine

roy roberts ISMIL

willie tee (bonatemp)

sag war fare

john harris / soul sayers

great list of records some real rare stuff

Edited by giant
Social source share

Guest WheelCity45

My Choice of 5 Records I've Heard Out & Deserve To Be In The Top 500 List....

(Just my Opinion Obviously not the Rarest)

Matthew Barnett - If Your Love Is Real -Puff Records

(Raob Club - Ezzie Brown)

William Powell - Heartache Souvenirs - Power House

(Kings Hall - Ginger Taylor)

Martha Starr - Love Is The Only Solution - Thelma

(Nuneaton Coop - Rob Gray)

The Sonatas - Going Down The Road - Hotline

(Wotton Hall - Ted Massey)

Patrinell Staten - Little Love Affair - Sepia

(Riverside Club - Mick H)

Cheers...

Social source share

Guest Duncan Ball

heres a couple i had a while back, the hustlers goodbye on fascination records and the underground express a mans temptation and ive forgot the label both great tunes and both i havnt seen for sale. i rate both of these

Social source share

heres a couple i had a while back, the hustlers goodbye on fascination records and the underground express a mans temptation and ive forgot the label both great tunes and both i havnt seen for sale. i rate both of these

U.G.E. is the label for Underground Express.

Social source share

Hustlers is a Cleveland record, white group, and not rare at all. I saw three copies, two of them for sale in my visit there last week. It's sold for $50 or less many times. There is a much rarer funk record by the Hustlers 1970, no relation, also on an orange label from Ohio.

Social source share

Guest Duncan Ball

thats interesting! i paid 500 for it about 12 years ago and nobody i knew had any idea about the record,and i played it to shifty and peaple who have monster collections and more knowledge than me and they havnt heard it, at that time, in my hours of boredom i sometimes put tunes i had in popsyke and thats one i did put in.didnt pop up. interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

The rarest 45's that I was lucky enough to own were: MILTON JAMES ON DORE, McGEE'S ON PRELUDE, WALTER & ADMERATIONS ON LA CINDY, JOE HICKS - GOTTA BE FREE, EDITH BROWN ON 4 BROTHERS and MAC STATEN ON PRELUDE.

All fantastic in my humble opinion. Oh, and not forgetting the wonderful JUDY STOKES ON SOULPOWER.

Social source share

Guest Duncan Ball

but then if you think about it say up to 12 years ago danny Moore somebody new would of been on here now look at it! are these records as rare as we have been led to believe ?

Social source share

Lennie Vestell / Sanla

Tut Sutton / USA

June Jackson / Musette

DC Magnatones /

Barbara Long / jet set

George Pepp / Coleman

Johnny Rodgers / amon

Pat Lewis - No one to love ./

Ive never see a springers - Nothings too good, in the flesh that said its not much good as apposed to their other stuff..

M

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!