Northern Soul Top 500 Rareities

LOOK,....apologies to all if its already been done, but its a bank holiday and i suppose a good many of us are bored, not gone anywhere, hence we're on soul source chewing the cud over "gently" last night, so here's the rub.....id like to see the dj's, collectors and all round know-it-alls get their comprehensive heads together and come up with a definitive format.

shall we use a yardstick of rareity OVER value,as, in this day and age, there are records that simply dont have a reliable valuation as no one knows how many copies really exist. im pretty sure it would also make a very good book, sitting snuggly on the shelf next to the already acclaimed "most popular" gospel.

suppose for starters MELLO SOULS is up there.....just another 499 to go then....any takers?

WELL IT BEATS LISTENING TO GOLD'S TOP 1000 POP RECORDS OF ALL-TIME DOSNT IT?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Not to sure what your asking for, is it, the rarest 500 northern 45's, or the most valuable 500 45's, or the best 500 45's, or the most played 500 45's or most popular 500 45's???

It sounds like the "most expensive" records. In my very simple and humble mind that'll be a top 500 hundred awash with shite.

:dash2:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Romulus - dont quote and take it completely out of context and then log off ffs!!

mello souls - inspirations - combinations - walter + Admirations - the profs - ravins - etc..etc... are ALL FANTASTIC northern tunes that happen to be as rare as hens teeth likewise there ARE plenty of shite proper rare tunes that are just that...rare and nothing else,

rare does not mean quality and thats a fact.

Daz. ranting_1.gif

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Mello Souls is 'very most' expensive, and NOT shite :thumbsup:

There's no point in contributing if you can't or won't read posts properly. Now, who has said that Mello Souls is shite?

Oh, and please don't use upper case letters - it doesn't make what you say right and it is quite tedious.

Social source share

There's no point in contributing if you can't or won't read posts properly. Now, who has said that Mello Souls is shite?

Oh, and please don't use upper case letters - it doesn't make what you say right and it is quite tedious.

in your humble opinion, the top 500 will be 'AWASH'( upper case) with shite, name me just 10(that you think may make the top 500) that are shite

Social source share

in your humble opinion, the top 500 will be 'AWASH'( upper case) with shite, name me just 10(that you think may make the top 500) that are shite

There were no upper case letters in my post - you're making it up.

I won't bother posting on this thread again.

:sleep3: :sleep3:

Social source share

After just a few hours sleep since Friday I am too tired to keep getting involved in personal petty spats, either contribute the titles of Rare Records as that's what the topic is about or take it top PM's. Either way give it a rest.

Sorry Chalky.

Like I said I'll not post on this thread again.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Look it's a bank holiday knockabout topic simply wanting suggestions for the top 500 rarest records, not if they are sh*ite or whatever.

Just for once can we have a discussion with out descending into the usual pointless arguments.

you tell them CHalky :thumbup: :thumbup:

Social source share

no particular order or preference, forget valuation because EVERYONE'S interpretation of that is different ( same as dna ) and...i like chalky...the man is straight talking...and no differentiating over wether they are the dogs or the bogs :thumbup:....just thought, as it appears it hasnt been done before, we could colloborate in putting together a 500, opposite to the greatest hits or popular anthems. inevitably, some of those well known rareities will figure in this anyway, because they are, quite naturally or have only ever been found in minute quantities, yet made it to many ears, whilst in the last couple of decades lets say others have been the privalaged posession of very few djs or collectors so they've not been heard by the masses.

Social source share

i'll chuck a few in then and be prepared to be shot at: just my suggestions, i know they're quite rare, couldnt possibly guess valuations but thats not what its about........

carpets - i just cant win

esther grant - lets get the most out of life

gerri shivers - lets try it again

mamie galore - no right to cry

marilyn barbarin - just a teenager

dreamettes - thats not love

esther harris - scarlet moon

betty wilson - im yours

katie briggs - last time around

tina roberts - one way or the other

new wanderers - aint gonna do you no harm

combinations - i chose you

some of these up there?, am i wide of the mark?....you tell me, you're the experts

Edited by AGENTSMITH
Social source share

i reckon everyone on soulsource CAN put together a 500 that consists of quality rare tunage, regardless of value, and a concensus of opinion that agrees with the selections :thumbsup: ....but of course i did say top 500 rareities and obviously with that being the case, marmite records are going to appear amongst them, strictly speaking.

Edited by AGENTSMITH
Social source share

Heres a few I'd have in that 500 list, just because I love em.

Hyperions Why Do You Wanna Treat Me This Way. Chattahoochee

Jimmy Gresham This Feeling I Have. Terri De

Probably must include Del Larks, Magnetics, Al Williams too.

Aid.

right on sis,

see,...well known, but still rare.

Social source share

How this has descended into the usual!!! :(

Anyway, who is collating and ranking this lot of suggestions :D (not me) here are my off the top of my head thoughts ...

EDDIE PARKER - I'M GONE

RITA & TIARAS - GONE WITH THE WIND (IS MY LOVE) (DORE)

BUDDY SMITH - WHEN YOU LOSE THE ONE YOU LOVE (BRUTE)

WILLIE TEE - WALKING UP A ONE WAY STREET (THE WRONG WAY) (NOLA/ATLANTIC)

J.J. BARNES - PLEASE LET ME IN (RIC-TIC)

WILLIE KENDRICK - CHANGE YOUR WAYS (RCA VICTOR)

SALVADORS - STICK BY ME BABY (WISE WORLD)

C.O.D.s - SHE'S FIRE (KELLMAC)

FRANK BEVERLEY & BUTLERS - IF THAT'S WHAT YOU WANTED (SASSY/GAMBLE)

Cheers

Richard

• Helpful 1
Social source share

LOOK,....apologies to all if its already been done, but its a bank holiday and i suppose a good many of us are bored, not gone anywhere, hence we're on soul source chewing the cud over "gently" last night, so here's the rub.....id like to see the dj's, collectors and all round know-it-alls get their comprehensive heads together and come up with a definitive format.

shall we use a yardstick of rareity OVER value,as, in this day and age, there are records that simply dont have a reliable valuation as no one knows how many copies really exist. im pretty sure it would also make a very good book, sitting snuggly on the shelf next to the already acclaimed "most popular" gospel.

It would make a good reference book reflecting the times thats for sure! If done regular, say bi-annually, you'd be able to see variations.

I'm not sure the yardstick of 'rarity over value' set us off on the right track (s'cuse the pun), though, because I don't know what is rare (without a comparison to its value) personnally think value could be a yardstick of rarity.

As an alternative, we could think about shifting the yardstick slightly to be our "favorite Northern Soul Tracks", regardless of how rare we think they are. The only way this could work is if (i) we decide and agree a preferred criteria, (i.e. all ss members post a top 20 fave NS within say 6 months?) and (ii) we get someone to vigilate and compile the results. I'm thinking of the someone with experience to lead & collate with the results i.e. soul source mods - but i wouldnt expect them to take it on, as its no small project, this! If someone did take it on (i.e ss mods or key members), then its possible we can actually achieve a top NS 500 as voted for by ss members.

Anyone interested?

Otherwise we might spend the next few months constructively critising rare NS lists - which makes interesting reading!! But we won't really get a top 500 rare NS list sorted. So what way are we going to go?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!